PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding lead tape

johnv_pr
08-14-2007, 08:18 PM
I recently played with a friend's iRadical because I broke the strings on my Aerogel 100. His racquet had about 6 inches of lead tape (Babolat 1/2 inch kind) on the 2 and 10 o'clock positions. I could feel the difference since I used to use this racquet myself. I have never customized any racquet with lead tape and am considering to add some to one of my racquets as a trial on the same positions he had. My questions are:

1. Which lead tapes are better in terms of sticking to the frame?
2. Do any of them damage the stick's paintjob upon removal?
3. Is my cchoice on the lead tape's position an accurate one?

Some light on these issues would be of great help.
Thanks

jonline
08-14-2007, 08:21 PM
3. Is my choice on the lead tape's position an accurate one?

I don't know much about lead tape, but I know that you'll need to say what you want out of adding lead (more stability, more power, more control, change in balance, etc) for anyone to make an informed response. Good luck.

johnv_pr
08-14-2007, 11:38 PM
Sorry, I want a bit more power and stability.

johnv_pr
08-14-2007, 11:38 PM
Sorry, I want a bit more power and stability.

As you can see, I don't know much about the subject.

stevekim8
08-15-2007, 09:09 AM
3' and 9' oclock for more power and stability

2' and 10' oclock for bigger sweetspot

12' oclock to add swingweight

Azrael
08-15-2007, 06:06 PM
1. Which lead tapes are better in terms of sticking to the frame?
2. Do any of them damage the stick's paintjob upon removal?
3. Is my cchoice on the lead tape's position an accurate one?

1. I've only tried Gamma and Unique lead tape, but I didn't notice a difference in stickiness. I can only guess that they would all be that way. Except maybe Babolat, which weighs twice as much as regular 1/2 lead, so the weight may be too much for the adhesiveness....but I couldn't tell you. If your friend hasn't had problems with lead falling off, then don't worry about it at all.

2. Neither Gamma nor Unique messed with the paint on my LM Radicals, LM4, AG200, or APD.

3. I agree with stevekim8 here, but I'd like to add a few things.

-Anywhere in the head that you add lead will add power and stability, not just 3&9. Stability is maximized at 3&9 though (but not power).
-Adding lead anywhere in the head will increase the "sweetspot," not just 2&10. Depending on where you place your lead, your "sweetspot" will enlarge in that direction (technically, your sweetspot doesn't move anywhere).
-12 is the best for maximizing power, since it increases swingweight the most. -Lead in the handle area will decrease power.

I suggest experimenting around with lead before deciding on a final place to put your lead. This can be done by leaving on the adhesive protector thing and simply keeping the lead in place with rubber bands or masking tape or something (I kept it in place with rubber bands because I had a lot of leftovers that I'm not using as vibration dampeners :p ).

For you (who wants stability and power), I think 3&9 are good places to start.

johnv_pr
08-15-2007, 10:08 PM
Thank you very much for the replies! They have been very helpful!

enwar3
08-16-2007, 03:48 PM
Won't rubber bands mess up the balance? Actually how much does a rubber band weigh?

Azrael
08-16-2007, 04:44 PM
I estimate that a #64 rubber band weighs about 3 grams. Good news I didn't use the whole rubber band; merely cut the band in half and tied the ends together to hold the lead in place. To get down to it, the adhesive backing also adds weight. The weight of the combined rubber band segment and adhesive backing is really insubstantial, however, and the racquet will pretty much feel the same with or without it. If you feel that the racquet doesn't feel as good as it did during your testing period, then you can always add some more lead accordingly. There's a handy spreadsheet somewhere on these boards...

JesseT
08-17-2007, 09:15 AM
I want to add a bit on placement/feel...

One point I don't see communicated much is the effect of swingweight on the whole "trunk-rotate-with-a-loose-arm" thing. That's the proper form, if I'm not mistaken.

With light racquets, I have a very difficult time feeling the racquet as I whip my arm with my shoulders. I wind up swinging with my arm cause I just can't feel the tug of the racquet.

Added weight gives me that feedback; the racquet's inertia if you will. It's made a huge difference for me in improving my form.

To use a golf analogy, it's the same feeling as with irons. You're supposed to keep those wrists back as long as possible, with a "dragging the head through the ball" feeling.

Hope that helps.