PDA

View Full Version : Agassi LE Radical, buy or not?

origmarm
08-15-2007, 05:13 AM
Should I buy one of the LE Radicals off TW? They are now at $99 which seems great value.
From what I have read on these boards they seem to compare favourably with the old Trisys and generally have good reviews. Whats the catch?
Anyone with a 1HBH try it?

0d1n
08-15-2007, 05:16 AM
One of my regular hitting partners uses them and has a 1hbh. He's a long time user (7 years?) of the Ti Radical Oversize though...so he's used to the shape at least ... He doesn't have a great topspin backhand with either racket, but he's compensating with other things ... :}

nickb
08-15-2007, 05:16 AM
Also consider one of the new Donnays....they are both $99.99.

Aeropro master
08-15-2007, 05:35 AM
The Fischer M speed Pro no 1 98 is $100 too.

origmarm
08-15-2007, 05:37 AM
Also consider one of the new Donnays....they are both $99.99.

Yeah I read about these and I'm quite interested here also. The thing about the Radical is that I'm a current LM Radical user and like them but had to lead them up a lot for the weight. I remember the old Trisys in a fond way but can't really remember how it was.

I was thinking about getting one of these LE Radicals anyway for the nostalgia factor but $179 was just too high for that. Now that they are $99 its much more tempting but I can't quite work out why they are so cheap...I feel like there must be a catch?

federer envies me
08-15-2007, 05:38 AM
dont get it if you are not used to oversized

origmarm
08-15-2007, 05:38 AM
The Fischer M speed Pro no 1 98 is $100 too.

Well spotted, thats a really good deal also

nickb
08-15-2007, 05:59 AM
Yeah I read about these and I'm quite interested here also. The thing about the Radical is that I'm a current LM Radical user and like them but had to lead them up a lot for the weight. I remember the old Trisys in a fond way but can't really remember how it was.

I was thinking about getting one of these LE Radicals anyway for the nostalgia factor but $179 was just too high for that. Now that they are $99 its much more tempting but I can't quite work out why they are so cheap...I feel like there must be a catch?

They are $99 becuase head called them "limited edition" and then kept making 1000s of them....now they are known not to be limited edition so they dont appeal as much. Thats bad news for the people who got them for $179 to hang on the wall but good news for fans of OS players racquets who are getting a very good deal on a racquet that plays great.

Nick

meowmix
08-15-2007, 06:09 AM
They are $99 becuase head called them "limited edition" and then kept making 1000s of them....now they are known not to be limited edition so they dont appeal as much. Thats bad news for the people who got them for $179 to hang on the wall but good news for fans of OS players racquets who are getting a very good deal on a racquet that plays great.

Nick

Could it also be that people realize these aren't replicas of the Trisys as Head claims, but instead more like the Twin Tubes?

By the way, why DID Head make so many of them? It would kind of make sense to make a few and watch demand for them to soar, wouldn't it? :confused:

nickb
08-15-2007, 06:13 AM
Could it also be that people realize these aren't replicas of the Trisys as Head claims, but instead more like the Twin Tubes?

By the way, why DID Head make so many of them? It would kind of make sense to make a few and watch demand for them to soar, wouldn't it? :confused:

Good point.

In short: Head messed up big time with the Agassi LE.

origmarm
08-15-2007, 06:29 AM
Interesting, so it seems that these are really twin tubes and they started off "limited" and now they are production hence the price drop.
Makes sense.

TripleB
08-15-2007, 12:11 PM
I'd say no right now...saw them at a golf and tennis place at the beach for $69.99 so the price is still coming down and I don't think the supply is that limited.

TripleB

Thor
08-15-2007, 12:56 PM
I'd say no right now...saw them at a golf and tennis place at the beach for $69.99 so the price is still coming down and I don't think the supply is that limited.

TripleB

For 69.99$ ill buy one,even though i deslike OS frames

PROTENNIS63
08-15-2007, 01:21 PM
buy it.. great stick

TnTBigman
08-15-2007, 02:05 PM
the pro store near me has em for $79. tons of em.

Zets147
08-15-2007, 02:09 PM
Get this (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCDUNLOP-DMMC.html), you'll thank me.

haerdalis
08-15-2007, 02:36 PM
I'd say get the Kneissl Black Star instead.

Gantz
08-15-2007, 09:32 PM
your nightmares won't go away until you get one.

origmarm
08-15-2007, 11:39 PM
Get this (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCDUNLOP-DMMC.html), you'll thank me.

You know thats really strange as I was playing with one of these just last night, a friend of mine got 3 :)
I'm really not sure what I think about them....I liked the stability but they feel a bit head heavy and a tad light to me. Have you leaded them up?

origmarm
08-15-2007, 11:40 PM

TripleB

the pro store near me has em for $79. tons of em.

Looks like the price is still coming down. I might wait a bit as it doesn't look like they're going to dissapear any time soon

origmarm
08-17-2007, 05:17 AM
It says on the TW site that they will not be beat on price, does that mean that if I can find the place that does them for $79 they will match it? I presume so....

nickb
08-17-2007, 08:18 AM
It says on the TW site that they will not be beat on price, does that mean that if I can find the place that does them for $79 they will match it? I presume so....

GUARANTEED LOWEST PRICES: A self defining phrase that is as simple as it reads. Simply put, if you find a lower price, on any product we stock, we would like the opportunity to beat it. We owe our success to you, our customers, and we know that price is a critical concern. Our goal is to eliminate this concern by assuring you that by choosing Tennis Warehouse you're getting the lowest prices anywhere. We routinely scan our competitors to assure that our prices can't be beat. As should be expected, there are some common sense boundaries that apply. We must be able to verify the lower price. Lower prices that cannot be confirmed will not be honored. Simply inform one of our knowledgeable reps where you found a better price; once price and source are confirmed, and the parameters maintained, you can be secure in knowing Tennis Warehouse will beat it! We reserve the right to confirm lower prices before any final Tennis Warehouse sale. The source of a lower price must come from an authorized dealer within the United States of the product in question (ie: authorized Prince or Wilson dealer). If the price does not come from an authorized source, current Tennis Warehouse prices stand.

They should match it...

j30tennis
08-17-2007, 04:08 PM
I am currently mulling over the LE Rad myself. I used to use the Mid back a few years ago. I really do not like the open winners on the stick but I guess I will get over it. 90% sure I will be picking one up and if I love it a 2nd to follow. Sorry for the useless info.

origmarm
08-19-2007, 11:24 PM
I am currently mulling over the LE Rad myself. I used to use the Mid back a few years ago. I really do not like the open winners on the stick but I guess I will get over it. 90% sure I will be picking one up and if I love it a 2nd to follow. Sorry for the useless info.

My brother also used to play with the mid and I have fond memories of hitting with it. The only thing that stopped me from making an instant buying decision was the OS head. Now if they made a mid.....:)

You think you will have any problems with the OS? I have a 1HBH and I remember OSs that I tried back in the day not feeling so hot

j30tennis
08-20-2007, 03:23 AM
I made the call and picked one up, should be arriving Tuesday. With any luck I will get to hit with it on Wednesday. Be sure I will find this post again and let you know how it performed. FYI I currently use OS Ti.Radical(despise this raquet blind bought 2 and have suffered through it). The OS model should not bother me, getting used to the weight again might take some time. I do hope the OS version works for me, but @ $99 if it doesn't it will make for a nice spot holder in my bag. Also I am sure you know that most hate the strings it comes with, If I enjoy the raquet will get new strings and remove the rubber band.

origmarm
08-20-2007, 05:44 AM
OK so I finally ordered one. I thought that for the $99 it was just too good...Will post how I feel about it when I get it

herosol
08-20-2007, 11:37 AM
i also want to ask the same question

1hbh users?
Is it any good?

Dave M
08-20-2007, 12:45 PM
OK so I finally ordered one. I thought that for the $99 it was just too good...Will post how I feel about it when I get it

How much did the shipping cost you? I am waiting for my first OS raket, a POG.......but i'm tempted by the radical LE, though there is the Pro one too.:confused:

racquetfreak
08-20-2007, 01:35 PM
are they still numbered? u.s. production was supposed to be 5,000 -maybe thet meant 50,000

origmarm
08-21-2007, 11:46 PM
i also want to ask the same question

1hbh users?
Is it any good?

When I get it I'll let you know :)

origmarm
08-21-2007, 11:47 PM
How much did the shipping cost you? I am waiting for my first OS raket, a POG.......but i'm tempted by the radical LE, though there is the Pro one too.:confused:

I'm in the UK so $39 for "Priority DHL". If you go for normal it was $38 so it was a bit of a no brainer really.
I'm still waiting to see if I get stung by customs for more though

origmarm
08-21-2007, 11:47 PM
are they still numbered? u.s. production was supposed to be 5,000 -maybe thet meant 50,000

They should be, I'll post what number I get

Dave M
08-22-2007, 12:46 AM
I'm in the UK so $39 for "Priority DHL". If you go for normal it was $38 so it was a bit of a no brainer really.
I'm still waiting to see if I get stung by customs for more though

I always get a nice letter from customs or parcel farce sting you with their
"handling" fee! Honestly the way the couriers act is as if they do us a massive favour actually delivering ouor parcels to us.So generous of them!!;)

lakis92
08-22-2007, 01:21 AM
Just add it to your collection, dude

origmarm
08-22-2007, 01:39 AM
I always get a nice letter from customs or parcel farce sting you with their
"handling" fee! Honestly the way the couriers act is as if they do us a massive favour actually delivering ouor parcels to us.So generous of them!!;)

Just got it this morning. No probs and no extra charges. Strange that this seems to vary. I get it sent to a biz address in the City so maybe that's why. That said it does have "Tennis Warehouse" printed all over it. Pretty quick too, thats 3biz days

origmarm
08-22-2007, 01:39 AM
Just add it to your collection, dude

You mean instead of playing with it?

origmarm
08-22-2007, 02:33 AM

5594 is mine so I guess they definitely made more

j30tennis
08-22-2007, 03:07 AM
origmarm,

Please tell me you plan on playing with it, don't just put in a safe place to gather dust like lakis is suggesting.

origmarm
08-22-2007, 03:08 AM
origmarm,

Please tell me you plan on playing with it, don't just put in a safe place to gather dust like lakis is suggesting.

I do indeed, well at least trying it. If I don't like it it might end up gathering dust. If I like it, it may have children :)

j30tennis
08-22-2007, 03:09 AM
If this frame is as good as the old mid version, it will become my racquet of choice even with Agassi's tourni wins on the frame. Got to tell you was a huge fan of Agassi, do not need his signature and wins all over the racquet but if it plays nice who cares I guess.

j30tennis
08-22-2007, 03:10 AM
Yeah hopefully this will not find a place next to the mid in my bag, but for $99 well worth the try.

j30tennis
08-22-2007, 03:13 AM
Sadly they just do not make em like they used to. Bring back the twin tube. Still leary of the flexpoint rad. Do not like the microgel at all both mid and os. Flexpoint discontinued so no need to get one.

j30tennis
08-22-2007, 03:16 AM
origmarm,

Please post your results when you hit with it, out of curiosity what type of player are you so when I read your comments I have an idea of how you play? Will be posting my results with it when I hit with it hopefully tomorrow night.

origmarm
08-22-2007, 03:25 AM
Yeah this frame could indeed be a winner. My only worry is the OS as I'm used to a Mid+ (95 and 98 over the years) and I play a 1HBH. My main problem with the newer racquets is weight and stability. I currently have 2 LM Radicals and I had to put about 1.5 ounces of lead on them to get them even close to feeling right. Initial feeling swinging this in the office is it feels MUCH more stable.

I will indeed post my findings. I'm going to hit a few balls tonight but tomorrow I play a match and I'm going to take it and just play a match with it and see how it feels.

I can't give you a rating as we don't have them in the UK or if we do I haven't bothered :). I have played for 22yrs since I was 6. I had a 5/6yr absence and recently started playing again. My serve is probably 80-95mph, I play all court but have a preference for baseline and come to net to take advantage of short balls. I play flatter than most, have a powerful forehand and a weaker backhand, I tend to play a lot of sliced defensive backhands. I think I have a good feel for racquets, I can usually tell weight, hl points (to within about 3 or so) fairly accurately. I have good feel, I could tell when my stringer's machine need calibrating :)
Generally I have good strokes and play well but I am fat after no sport for a while so the footwork/movement suffers.

cukoo
08-22-2007, 03:34 PM
Is the weight of this racquet in stock form with strings 12.1 grams or 11.8 grams?

j30tennis
08-22-2007, 06:12 PM
origmarm,

Just rcvd mine today, right off the bat I did the swing test in my office as well. I can also say that I am not a fan of the gaudy titles on the frame but will get by, can't wait to get some hits in an am most certainly going to get the strings re done to my preference and no rubber band. I too am getting back into the game after a 3yr hiatus. Winter league I joined starts in a few weeks. I am a baseliner who hits my serves at around 85, my shoulder is shot so it tops off at 85 no longer high 90's. God bless age.

origmarm
08-23-2007, 12:05 AM
Ok so I had a hit last night and I have to say the results were distinctly mixed.

Positives:
- Frame felt very stable at stock
- Flexibility and dampening of frame were excellent, good arm racquet
- Very forgiving head, off centre shots were well controlled (relatively)
- Great forehand winners, you can really pound it

Negatives:
- OS head size felt like it lacked control
- Too much power, felt like a rocket launcher
- Felt a little difficult to maneuver
- 1HBH topspin felt difficult to control

Overall I don't think this could ever be my main racquet. It just felt too difficult to maneuver and I was having to take a lot off all the time (except on the forehand winners that I LOVED). I really felt it lacked control. Next step is to restring it and see if this helps

j30tennis
08-23-2007, 03:20 AM
origmarm,

You should restring, I had the same problem when intially switching from mid to os, my backhand was great with an os, but my forehand felt shaky. Hoepfully I get to hit this weekend at the very least I will be hitting the courts to serve for an hr or so. Thanks for your info regarding playability.

Fatmike
08-23-2007, 08:34 AM
Ok so I had a hit last night and I have to say the results were distinctly mixed.

Positives:

Negatives:

Overall I don't think this could ever be my main racquet. It just felt too difficult to maneuver and I was having to take a lot off all the time (except on the forehand winners that I LOVED). I really felt it lacked control. Next step is to restring it and see if this helps

is this frame is overpowered, how can pros can hit with babolats?

Automatix
08-23-2007, 08:42 AM
Well some pro's have no Woofer grommets on their PD's like Carlos Moya, the ones that have these grommets string so tightly that the Woofer doesn't work, some use low powered strings with high tension, also some play with so much top spin that they seem to be able to place the ball in court e.g. Roddick...

origmarm
08-24-2007, 12:05 AM
is this frame is overpowered, how can pros can hit with babolats?

Well I feel its just a matter of personal taste really. When I say overpowered I guess I mean for me. I like to feel like I'm not holding back when I hit the ball.

TheFonz
08-24-2007, 05:20 AM
Looks like the price is still coming down. I might wait a bit as it doesn't look like they're going to dissapear any time soon

I would restring it. Mine felt the same way until I restrung it. It felt like an entirely new stick. I did eventually get another that did not have this problem. My first one was a #13?? which is one of the first made. It had been sitting on the shelf quite a while. My guess is that it lost a lot of tension. My second felt pretty good with the stock string, but I did cut them out and restring.

origmarm
08-24-2007, 06:09 AM
I'm going to restring it this weekend. Strangely this is the first racquet I have ever had that does not have a recommended tension on it (!?!). Any ideas as to tension?

TheFonz
08-24-2007, 06:14 AM
I tried several different tenstions. The range is 54-64. I stung mine up to test with PSGD at 59. This felt pretty good. I eventually settled at 57 lbs with Gamma Fusion 19g kevlar hybird.

-ds

origmarm
08-24-2007, 07:32 AM
I tried several different tenstions. The range is 54-64. I stung mine up to test with PSGD at 59. This felt pretty good. I eventually settled at 57 lbs with Gamma Fusion 19g kevlar hybird.

-ds

Sorry yep I just found it on TW website. Weird as normally they print it on the racquet. I'm guessing it comes strung at around 59 as stock. I normally play with 17g gut so I'm thinking around 62 on this one given the above. I normally start off at mid and add 2lbs for the gut as such

Fatmike
08-25-2007, 05:50 AM
Well I feel its just a matter of personal taste really. When I say overpowered I guess I mean for me. I like to feel like I'm not holding back when I hit the ball.

do you means that pros hitting with them are holding back?

btw, I own one Agassi LE.... I don't think it's overpowered at all.... I also own a babolat pure drive +... power from the babolat is much more... but still can be controlled (maybe not this morning though, but bad days happens it seems...anyway, that's another story)

origmarm
08-28-2007, 12:12 AM
do you means that pros hitting with them are holding back?

btw, I own one Agassi LE.... I don't think it's overpowered at all.... I also own a babolat pure drive +... power from the babolat is much more... but still can be controlled (maybe not this morning though, but bad days happens it seems...anyway, that's another story)

Well to put it another way, its more power than I feel that I can control given how I like to swing at the ball. Its mainly to do with my control. I think as with all things, when you describe a racquet, its very much from your perspective as such. I think the pros don't hold back, but then they know how to control the additional power, whereas I don't.

I agree the babolats are worse. I find them like rocket launchers. Still I feel that the original string was pretty loose in the racquet which probably contributed to this. I've restrung it and I'll post again with results of that one

tennisntn3477
08-30-2007, 07:28 PM
This racquet has a lower swingweight and static weight than what is listed on TW...at least for the once I just received. Great stick, about 325 and 11.9 oz on the mail scale, don't think most will have too much trouble with this frame and a one handed BH. PJ is much better in person than it appears in photos.

origmarm
09-10-2007, 08:07 AM

Positives:

Negatives:

Ok having restrung it with Klip Legend 17 at 62lbs here are my comments:
- Power is better, definitely more in my zone
- OS still feels a little loose for me on the control front
- Still a bit too head heavy (going to put some weight in the handle)
- 1HBH definitely better, felt I had more touch but then I could just be getting used to it

The PJ is indeed better in person. Great feel, typical of older racquets. Best OS I have played with period (POG close second)

Gorecki
03-10-2008, 07:16 AM
Just got myself one... absolutely anxious to get my hands in it on court!

Jack & Coke
03-29-2008, 08:15 AM
http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/thumbs/AGRAD-thumb.jpg (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCHEAD-AGRAD.html)

http://img.tennis-warehouse.com/img/sale.gifHead Agassi Radical Limited Edition Racquets (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCHEAD-AGRAD.html)

This limited edition version of the Radical pays tribute to
legendary player Andre Agassi. Each racquet features a
serial number, is strung and features a tied rubber band
and blue grip similar to Agassi's personal setup.

Price: $89.95

kungfusmkim
03-29-2008, 08:19 AM
i would buy it if it was in Canada

LanEvo
03-29-2008, 03:58 PM
i would buy it if it was in Canada

how much is shipping to canada if u buy from tw?

skuludo
03-29-2008, 09:31 PM
$34 US to Canada. Shipping with TW using UPS gernally arrives in two days. Too bad TW does not offer a cheaper shipping option compared to other competitors. I think with USPS you don't need to pay customs.

Jack & Coke
04-01-2008, 09:42 AM
Best OS I have played with period (POG close second)

Wow, that a big statement.. now I'm curious. I have a POG OS (4-striper orig purchased in 1987) and it's still one of my fav sticks.

At around $80 i may have to join you guys and pick one up too! :)

Doc Hollidae
04-01-2008, 11:43 AM
I have a few in 8/10 condition if anyone is interested.

AR15
04-04-2008, 04:58 AM
I got my Head Agassi Radical LE Wednesday and hit with it for about an hour.

Mine seems like the strings are completely dead. The racquet has no power. I'm going to restring it tonight with a poly hybrid and try it again this weekend.

I'm wondering how long ago these racquets were strung.

MichaelChang
04-04-2008, 05:45 AM

a few years ago. :)

origmarm
04-04-2008, 06:09 AM
Wow, that a big statement.. now I'm curious. I have a POG OS (4-striper orig purchased in 1987) and it's still one of my fav sticks.

At around $80 i may have to join you guys and pick one up too! :)

It's worth noting that I hit pretty flat, the POG is probably going to come out the better stick if you are a big spinner. It's a marginal difference but I just preferred it. I haven't tried the Donnay OS and I'm curious. To be honest this was more a bit of fun for me than anything else as I don't play with OS frames as a rule.

origmarm
04-04-2008, 06:10 AM
Mine seems like the strings are completely dead. The racquet has no power. I'm going to restring it tonight with a poly hybrid and try it again this weekend.

Mine was rubbish also. They seem to be strung with some cheapish poly that has lost all its tension by the time you get it. I would restring immediately

AR15
04-10-2008, 10:13 AM
I restrung mine with Babolat VS natural gut, and hit with it a while yesterday. For me, the NG string was a big improvement, but the racquet is still a little too much for my game. It truly is a player's racquet even though it has the oversized head.

I just put mine for sale in the For Sale or Trade forum if anyone is interested.