PDA

View Full Version : I need some advice

ashleymlynn
08-15-2007, 07:24 AM
I have played tennis for years and years yet i haven't actually played in about 3 years. now, i'm getting back into tennis with a vengance and i'm looking for a new racquet. i haven't been ranked so i'm not sure where i stand but here's how i think...so far my backhand is pretty strong as well as my forehand. i'm probably ranked intermediate anywhere around a 3.0 . but again, i haven't been ranked. my swings are consistant and the advanced players i know on a team are saying i'm doing great and after i have my baby (i'm prego) they might want me to join their team. soooo, i've been looking at the head airflow 5. i have played with the airflow 3 but i think it's a little too advanced for me at this time. does anyone, just based on the small amount of information i put on here, have any suggestions as to what kind of racquet i should play with? i used an antelop for years but now i'm using a cheap head. sorry for the lack of information but any help would be great!!! thank you!!!

grass_hopper
08-15-2007, 07:39 AM
if price does not matter then you can demo prince O3 blue and wilson K4 racquets also. however Head's airflow 5 is cheaper. you might want to buy one of the above racquets used. Prince O3 blue is pretty popular.

ashleymlynn
08-15-2007, 07:54 AM
Thank you. price does matter a bit, i would like to keep it under $200. i'm looking for used so i can "test" it out and not have to spend the big chunk of change....if that makes sense! thank you so much for your reply! that was very helpful and i'll start looking at that prince as well!!

origmarm
08-15-2007, 08:10 AM
While I'm not sure what kind of racquet to recommend, if you are concerned about spending money on the wrong thing then I have heard that TW have a great demo program where you can try before you buy. Wish I could, I'm in UK :)

Tennissee
11-17-2007, 08:24 AM
Antelop was a small brand that used to make very solid racquets. If the one you used to use where small-headed and heavy, which is very likely the case, you might not be used to the power of the expensive racquets today.

You need to consider how fast and long your stroke is. If it's long and fast, you probably should look for something similar to the good old Antelop, mainly the "players' racquet" today. The good news is they are a bit cheaper than the big and powerful ones.

If you prefer to take small and short "stabs" at the ball instead, those big and light racquets are the answer. Most people are somewhere in between. But your history with Antelop tells me you'll prefer smaller head and heavier feeling racquets.

BTW, which Antelop was it and what happened to it?

gerikoh
11-17-2007, 10:28 AM
a good intermediate racquet for a woman huh?

nblade oversize?

or how about the n2?

smirker
11-17-2007, 01:16 PM
While I'm not sure what kind of racquet to recommend, if you are concerned about spending money on the wrong thing then I have heard that TW have a great demo program where you can try before you buy. Wish I could, I'm in UK :)

Try Top Spin Tennis in Cambridge. They have a good range of rackets to demo and operate a mail order system for rackets which won't cost too much. They have a website and are very helpful in my experience. Hope that helps. As you are in London there must be tons of places near you that do a demo program. If you go to Cams Lawn Tennis Club where they are based you can demo the rackets for free if you take someone to hit with. Hows that for service!

meowmix
11-17-2007, 01:48 PM
I have played tennis for years and years yet i haven't actually played in about 3 years. now, i'm getting back into tennis with a vengance and i'm looking for a new racquet. i haven't been ranked so i'm not sure where i stand but here's how i think...so far my backhand is pretty strong as well as my forehand. i'm probably ranked intermediate anywhere around a 3.0 . but again, i haven't been ranked. my swings are consistant and the advanced players i know on a team are saying i'm doing great and after i have my baby (i'm prego) they might want me to join their team. soooo, i've been looking at the head airflow 5. i have played with the airflow 3 but i think it's a little too advanced for me at this time. does anyone, just based on the small amount of information i put on here, have any suggestions as to what kind of racquet i should play with? i used an antelop for years but now i'm using a cheap head. sorry for the lack of information but any help would be great!!! thank you!!!

Maybe the Wilson W5? The Wilson W4 also looks pretty good for you.