PDA

View Full Version : LEAD TAPE in the "Y"?

tbini87
08-15-2007, 08:06 AM
has anyone ever put lead tape in the Y of the racquet above the handle? seems like a good place to put it to add weight and not really alter the balance too much? any thoughts or ideas on the topic would be appreciated!

SFrazeur
08-15-2007, 08:26 AM
Example:
http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r179/SFrazeur/TT/fullj.jpg

-SF

rexorz
08-15-2007, 08:30 AM
i've done it before just to add more weight to a racquet. It didnt alter the balance of my racquet very much.

Jonny S&V
08-15-2007, 08:32 AM
has anyone ever put lead tape in the Y of the racquet above the handle? seems like a good place to put it to add weight and not really alter the balance too much? any thoughts or ideas on the topic would be appreciated!

You can do it, but it won't increase the sweet spot. Or will it? You should do that on the 03's, since some times the lead tape is too big to fit and you have to cut it in half. And yes, it does affect the balance. It makes the racquet more head heavy.

tbini87
08-15-2007, 08:41 AM
but what if the balance point is above the Y, and you are putting the lead tape below the balance point? does that still make it more head heavy? o and thanks SF for the pic.

dacrymn
08-15-2007, 09:07 AM
the SW will go up, as the lead is above your hand, but the balance point will be more lead light. Make sense?

ps60
08-15-2007, 10:37 AM
Although i like Ana much, didn't notice she added wt there.

Somehow it is the last place i'd add wt to. it would make the frame a little more headlight but U won't feel that, u will find that the frame is heavier, harder to swing around.

i guess the cons are it adds up heft without adding much to stability. Pros are it is the most handy place (simple) to put them there and simplest to get them out too :D

SFrazeur
08-15-2007, 10:42 AM
Although i like Ana much, didn't notice she added wt there.

For some reason most tend not to notice a women player's racquets. . .cannot fathom why. Also there is lead and three and nine.

-SF

ps60
08-15-2007, 10:53 AM
No, i take some note on them, also on their dress :D

but i just didn't notice she put it there

BTW, both Djokovic and Ana won a tournament lately, was it on the same day ? They use the same racket too.

Jonny S&V
08-15-2007, 11:03 AM
i've done it before just to add more weight to a racquet. It didnt alter the balance of my racquet very much.

BTW, both Djokovic and Ana won a tournament lately, was it on the same day ? They use the same racket too.

Yes. (ten characters). How did the first quote get on there?

SFrazeur
08-15-2007, 11:13 AM

$$ for Wilson sales.

-SF

tbini87
08-15-2007, 12:13 PM
is it easy to put tape inside the handle? because i want to make my racquet more head light, and i guess lead in the Y won't really do that for me... so i will try putting it in the handle instead. thanks for the help.

ps60
08-16-2007, 09:32 AM
some racket has a window in the butt cap, then it's easy to open it up and stuff sth like lead bead, lead coil and fix it with silicone or hot gel (the gun, i don't have one of that, guess it's easier than silicone and dry faster) Close the window back.

BUT....
U don't know if the change is sth u like, so better stick lead tape here and there, even under the grip (peel it off), to find out how much would give U the right feel, . Remember that may take wks or months :D to find the right setting. Then u can just use the lead tape or make it more permanent...

ps60
08-16-2007, 09:33 AM
BTW, Ana lost to my country girl, a very thin girl. I like both of them but am surprised that Ana lost.

ProStaff Legend
08-16-2007, 09:56 AM
im not an expert on lead modding but i hav a theory. i noticed on racquets with a high "plow through" effect that one could feel alot of weight in the throat area (i/e n6.1s and woodies). is it possible that if u added lead there that it will increase the plowthrough of the racquet? just an idea, probably wrong

ps60
08-17-2007, 08:28 AM
i noticed on racquets with a high "plow through" effect that one could feel alot of weight in the throat area

i found it the other way in some cases. But it is not a scientific research anyway. i really like to know the "truth". Maybe the truth is U've got to give sth here and there and not concentrated at one part of the racket :?

drpepper4590
08-17-2007, 01:37 PM
if you want to add mass shouldn't you try for the same swingweight if you already like the feel?

jonline
08-17-2007, 02:34 PM
Found this:

"Weight Placement
(A) 12 o’clock (E) 6 o’clock
(B) 10 & 2 o’clock (F) Throat
(C) 3 & 9 o’clock (G) Handle
(D) 4 & 8 o’clock (H) Inside the handle

Position A: Adding weight in the vicinity of 12 o’clock produces the most dramatic increase in power, swingweight and head-heavy balance and produces the most dramatic decrease in maneuverability. Adding weight to this region moves the sweetspot towards the added weight.
Position B: Adding weight in this vicinity increases power, swingweight and head-heavy balance but not as drastically as with Position 1. Adding weight to this region increases stability on off-centered hits and reduces racquet torque or twisting.
Position C: Adding weight in the 3 / 9 o’clock location provides the greatest increase in stability. Power increases, as does swingweight and head-heaviness, but not as much as in location A or B, and so not as much maneuverability is lost.
Position D: Adding weight in this location provides an increases stability and weight without significantly affecting swingweight. Power and mass increase. This is the vicinity that weight is added in conjunction to another location to match racquet measurements.
Position E: Adding weight in the 6 o’clock region increases the mass without significantly altering the balance or swingweight.
Position F: Adding weight in the throat is usually designed to increase mass without altering the swingweight. This is another location that weight can be added to match the weight and balance of another racquet
Position G: Adding weight to the handle makes the racquet more head-light without losing maneuverability or significantly increasing power. Players wanting to counter-balance their racquets would most likely add weight in this location. Adding lead tape to the handle can increase the circumference of the grip, so caution should be exercised before adding too much weight.
Position H: Adding weight in the handle is another alternative for counter-balancing, that will not add additional width to the racquet handle. This procedure requires the removal of the butt cap and grip. Adding weight inside the handle cannot be performed with racquets that have some sort of vibration suppression technologies in the handle like (Prince’s Air Handle System, Pro Kennex’s Kinetic Technology or Dunlops’s ISIS System). There will be no noticeable change in swingweight or power."

Full page here (http://www.sandiars.com/reference/racquet-customization.htm).

JW10S
08-17-2007, 06:29 PM
Found this:

"Weight Placement
(A) 12 o’clock (E) 6 o’clock
(B) 10 & 2 o’clock (F) Throat
(C) 3 & 9 o’clock (G) Handle
(D) 4 & 8 o’clock (H) Inside the handle

Position A: Adding weight in the vicinity of 12 o’clock produces the most dramatic increase in power, swingweight and head-heavy balance and produces the most dramatic decrease in maneuverability. Adding weight to this region moves the sweetspot towards the added weight.
Position B: Adding weight in this vicinity increases power, swingweight and head-heavy balance but not as drastically as with Position 1. Adding weight to this region increases stability on off-centered hits and reduces racquet torque or twisting.
Position C: Adding weight in the 3 / 9 o’clock location provides the greatest increase in stability. Power increases, as does swingweight and head-heaviness, but not as much as in location A or B, and so not as much maneuverability is lost.
Position D: Adding weight in this location provides an increases stability and weight without significantly affecting swingweight. Power and mass increase. This is the vicinity that weight is added in conjunction to another location to match racquet measurements.
Position E: Adding weight in the 6 o’clock region increases the mass without significantly altering the balance or swingweight.
Position F: Adding weight in the throat is usually designed to increase mass without altering the swingweight. This is another location that weight can be added to match the weight and balance of another racquet
Position G: Adding weight to the handle makes the racquet more head-light without losing maneuverability or significantly increasing power. Players wanting to counter-balance their racquets would most likely add weight in this location. Adding lead tape to the handle can increase the circumference of the grip, so caution should be exercised before adding too much weight.
Position H: Adding weight in the handle is another alternative for counter-balancing, that will not add additional width to the racquet handle. This procedure requires the removal of the butt cap and grip. Adding weight inside the handle cannot be performed with racquets that have some sort of vibration suppression technologies in the handle like (Prince’s Air Handle System, Pro Kennex’s Kinetic Technology or Dunlops’s ISIS System). There will be no noticeable change in swingweight or power."

Full page here (http://www.sandiars.com/reference/racquet-customization.htm).Edit: great resource

I remember holding one of Gabriella Sabatini's Princes and she added weight inside the hoop, all along the outside of the throat (since the stabilizer bar made it harder to put in the 'Y') and under the grip--her racquet weighed a ton but maintained a pretty even balance.

ps60
08-18-2007, 09:23 AM
(G) Handle
Position H: Adding weight inside the handle cannot be performed with racquets that have some sort of vibration suppression technologies in the handle like (Prince’s Air Handle System, Pro Kennex’s Kinetic Technology or Dunlops’s ISIS System). There will be no noticeable change in swingweight or power."

there may be sth wrong with the article. I did cut down a Prince Air Handle, which is actually a split handle and nothing more than a thick piece of metal inside it (which may exist in lot of Prince rackets) I insert lead coil and crack filler to compensate for the wt i removed...
So is PK Kinetic, i doubt if there is anything special in it, because the Kinetic System is in the upper hoop not in the handle.