PDA

View Full Version : What is the story on Thermal lined bags???

bwain
08-15-2007, 10:31 AM
This may be a dumb question but is there a benefit/reason to have it? Is it better in the heat/cold/humidity...I am curious.

vinnier6
08-15-2007, 01:10 PM
This may be a dumb question but is there a benefit/reason to have it? Is it better in the heat/cold/humidity...I am curious.

keeps the head out of your bag

JavierLW
08-15-2007, 01:58 PM

If you have Natural Gut strings it can protect them from the cold or heat. Since I bought one I think my strings have actually lasted longer than before. (I live somewhere that is cold in the winter and very hot in the summer, so transporting the racquets between the house and the car much less if I have to leave it in the car for a short period of time is bad for them)

Im not sure if it protects the racquets themselves much though if you leave them in your car too long, especially in the heat. If it's 90-100F degrees outside it's probally going to be 110+ inside of your bag even with the thermoguard.

Lleytian3
08-15-2007, 02:04 PM
it does protect the racquets, not really meant to protect them while they are in the car, cause like everybody knows you arent supposed to leave your bags in the car.

but it is really meant to protect the racquet, while its on the court. when it is really hot or cold, it really helps protect the strings especially.

IMO thermal lined bags are the best, i would not get anything else.

El Diablo
08-20-2007, 09:03 AM
That's right, racquets should not be left in the car. If you have to stop somewhere on the way to or from the court, leave your racquets on the roof of the car. They will likely be stolen, but at least in excellent condition.
As for thermal bags, I'd be surprised if they have any value becxause they typically have metal zippers, which are excellent conductors of heat. (This is why the best winter parkas either have large velcro flaps that go over the zipper, or use a zipper that is not metal.) I've yet to see any manufacturer present data to support the value of thermal-lined bags, and would be stunned to see data that was particularly positive.

GokuQ
08-20-2007, 09:20 AM
it keeps your brewz colder too.....!

iplaybetter
08-20-2007, 09:32 AM
is there a way to make a non thermal one thermal

dunloplayah
08-20-2007, 09:36 AM
in the 100+ temps we've been playing down here in the south, i have to say my dunlop thermal lined bag is dramatically keeping my gear cooler than my last two bags that did not have any thing. Considering that most bags are black or dark (i don't understand why they do this, they do it to use photographers too, not getting that dark is hot!), I was suprised at second set in 103 temps, that when i reached in my bag for a fresh racket, it was cool to the touch. and the bag was sitting on the concrete!

Also, love my dunlop built in cooler, kept two bottles of water, a beer and a banana all cool thru the 1.75hr match!

Dave M
08-20-2007, 01:03 PM
Also, love my dunlop built in cooler, kept two bottles of water, a beer and a banana all cool thru the 1.75hr match!

Which bag do you have?

dunloplayah
08-20-2007, 01:05 PM
the 10 pack aerogel. so worth the $50 price tag. one of the best constructed and sewn bags i've ever owned, and it's also worth the comments (pos and neg) that I get on how honkin' huge it is!! it's bigger than most people need but now I'm addicted to the space!

Fedace
08-20-2007, 01:06 PM

What are some of the best brand and names of the bags that has this feature ??

TheShaun
08-20-2007, 01:33 PM
is there a way to make a non thermal one thermal

line it with tin foil. i see people do this to their windows so their house doesn't get hot.

routine125
08-20-2007, 02:03 PM
hey dunloplayah, does the aerogel 10 pack bag have thermoguard in all 3 racquet compartments?

federer envies me
08-20-2007, 02:27 PM
thermo bags are WAY better than regular bags IMO

PBODY99
08-21-2007, 05:20 AM
You want to protect your frames from extremes of temperature and when on a very hot day you add a frozen water bottle to your bag it acts as a cooler. Be sure it is water tight and a quart bottle will keep the temperature down even on a hot day inside your car.