PDA

View Full Version : US Open wild cards announced

atatu
08-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Check it out on Usta.com

Isner, Young, Topaz's man Wayne "the train" Odesnik, Sweeting, McClune, Levine, Kuznetsov, and Alun Jones (Australian WC trade). Matt Bruch got a WC into the qualies, so look for Fedace to get excited about that....

RoddickistheMan
08-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Hopefully young can win a match this time around. I have high hopes for isner and levine.
________
Honda specifications (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda)

johnny ballgame
08-15-2007, 11:55 AM
Isner, Young, Topaz's man Wayne "the train" Odesnik, Sweeting, McClune, Levine, Kuznetsov, and Alun Jones (Australian WC trade). Matt Bruch got a WC into the qualies, so look for Fedace to get excited about that....

Cool, where is the NCAA singles champ though?

Richie Rich
08-15-2007, 11:56 AM
what happened to scoville jenkins?

Phil
08-15-2007, 11:57 AM
The USTA no longer automatically issues WC's to the NCAA champs. Not sure of the reason, though quite often, the NCAA champ these days is foreign-born...could that be it?

Dimonator133
08-15-2007, 11:58 AM
who is McClune

Dimonator133
08-15-2007, 11:58 AM

doesn't get one anymore

and Somdev is anything but American - but yeah, i wish the champ still got one

Dimonator133
08-15-2007, 11:59 AM
Hopefully young can win a match this time around. I have high hopes for isner and levine.

YOUNG and LEVINE!?!? both one-and-done barring a rigged draw next Friday

atatu
08-15-2007, 12:03 PM
YOUNG and LEVINE!?!? both one-and-done barring a rigged draw next Friday

Maybe, but both of those guys will be top 100 in a few years and the USTA is giving them some help in the meantime....

Topaz
08-15-2007, 12:05 PM
Check it out on Usta.com

Yay!!! Go Wayne!!! I'm glad he won't have to go through qualifying...again!

Marius_Hancu
08-15-2007, 12:05 PM
It seems that no place was given to Dancevic ....
with all his good results recently .... including on US ground (or perhaps because of this?:-))

It seems that no USTA and Tennis Canada agreement exists ...

Topaz
08-15-2007, 12:08 PM
with all his good results recently .... including on US ground (or perhaps because of this?:-))

Good point...would love to see more of him, maybe he'll get in through qualies?

atatu
08-15-2007, 12:09 PM
who is McClune

Michael McClune, from California. He just won the Kalamazoo 18's last week.

Richie Rich
08-15-2007, 12:54 PM

based on his ranking of around 100 before his run at Indy and Montreal wouldn't he get direct entry into the main draw? or is the cutoff lower?

MasterTS
08-15-2007, 12:55 PM
what happened to scoville jenkins?

He sucks ? ? ?

Starlite
08-15-2007, 12:58 PM
based on his ranking of around 100 before his run at Indy and Montreal wouldn't he get direct entry into the main draw? or is the cutoff lower?

Yeah Franky doesn't need a WC, he's ranked 67 which is definitely high enough for direct acceptance.

Marius_Hancu
08-15-2007, 01:05 PM

Not sure, have a look at his rankings history:
http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/playerprofiles/rankhistory.asp?playernumber=D499
Not sure on which date was the cutoff

Zaragoza
08-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Yeah Franky doesn't need a WC, he's ranked 67 which is definitely high enough for direct acceptance.

The direct acceptance is based on rankings 6 weeks before the tournament and his ranking then wasn´t high enough by a few spots. He needs to play the qualies unless a few players withdraw.

Richie Rich
08-15-2007, 01:12 PM
The direct acceptance is based on rankings 6 weeks before the tournament and his ranking then wasn´t high enough by a few spots. He needs to play the qualies unless a few players withdraw.

i figured that he might miss the cutoff. not good to play 3 rounds of qualies to get into the main draw

vildis
08-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Michael McClune, from California. He just won the Kalamazoo 18's last week.

is he top junior?never heard of him..what is his itf rank?

hoosierbr
08-15-2007, 01:26 PM
Yet another opportunity for Donald Young to get beaten up! I realize he's now won a Challenger but as he has no chance of winning a main draw match wouldn't it be more prudent to let him earn his way in by getting a qualifying wildcard? And if he did make it through his confidence would shoot up.

Moose Malloy
08-15-2007, 01:31 PM
Yet another opportunity for Donald Young to get beaten up! I realize he's now won a Challenger but as he has no chance of winning a main draw match wouldn't it be more prudent to let him earn his way in by getting a qualifying wildcard? And if he did make it through his confidence would shoot up.

qualifiers do sometimes draw other qualifiers(or wildcards) in the 1st round. its not that far-fetched for him to win a round.

as far it 'being prudent' to let him earn his way in the draw, how come wimbledon or australia don't do that? they let players with far worse rankings than young into the draw yearly & no one complains.

vildis
08-15-2007, 01:32 PM
qualifiers do sometimes draw other qualifiers(or wildcards) in the 1st round. its not that far-fetched for him to win a round.

as far it 'being prudent' to let him earn his way in the draw, how come wimbledon or australia don't do that? they let players with far worse rankings than young into the draw yearly & no one complains.

whell these players do not have 0-11 record in atp:twisted:

simi
08-15-2007, 01:35 PM
is he top junior?never heard of him..what is his itf rank?

Anyone can find out. Just enter his name into the ATP web site.

Here 'ya go.

http://www.atptennis.com/3/en/players/playerprofiles/?playersearch=McClune&x=0&y=0

bluetrain4
08-15-2007, 01:36 PM
whell these players do not have 0-11 record in atp:twisted:

Seriously, go look at the records/rankings of some of the Wimbledon WCs given to British players. Much worse than Young.

Moose Malloy
08-15-2007, 01:37 PM
whell these players do not have 0-11 record in atp

I wouldn't be so sure. Some of these British wildcards have never played a main tour event other than wimbledon or queens in their careers.

Aeropro master
08-15-2007, 01:39 PM

I was hoping Dancevic would get a WC, he deserved it! I guess he'll have to go through Qualis.

atatu
08-15-2007, 01:52 PM
More info on McClune, the ATP website doesn't tell you much:

http://www.michaelmcclune.com/content/view/20/9/

hoosierbr
08-15-2007, 01:55 PM

Many complain, especially in Britain, about the usual suspects like Bogdanovic getting a WC and getting thumped in the first round. Henman came right out and said during Wimbledon that there needed to be higher/tougher standards for these guys that rely on the LTA for their lifeblood.

As for DY, I seriously doubt he's going to win a match or even a set at the Open. If he were forced to qualify he'd have beaten three guys ranked higher than him, possibly an Andrei Pavel or Rainer Schuettler who need to qualify for the Open, and he'd be in a different place mentally after picking up wins. As it is now he's getting WC's and getting thumped by guys that aren't all that. That's got to take its toll on his psyche.

simi
08-15-2007, 02:04 PM
More info on McClune, the ATP website doesn't tell you much:

http://www.michaelmcclune.com/content/view/20/9/

Nice link. Liked seeing in his bio the description of his 'playing style'. It states, "All Court/Aggressive Attacking". The front page article says that he is working on his volleys. YEAH, long live 'serve and volley'.

tennispro11
08-15-2007, 03:03 PM
I was hoping Dancevic would get a WC, he deserved it! I guess he'll have to go through Qualis.

Yeah me too! But of course it has to be all Americans that get the WC, not the player that deserves it. :(

ktownva
08-15-2007, 03:08 PM
Congrats to John Isner. Being from VA I'm disappointed that Somdev did not get a WC, but Isner deserved it more based on NCAA Final and recent run on the tour.

tennispro11
08-15-2007, 03:11 PM
Congrats to John Isner. Being from VA I'm disappointed that Somdev did not get a WC, but Isner deserved it more based on NCAA Final and recent run on the tour.

I seriously think Isner could make some noise at the USO. He has a pretty good game on the hard courts. Maybe to the quarters if he can get a few service returns back. :)

Dimonator133
08-15-2007, 03:28 PM

how did Isner deserve it more than Somdev based on the NCAA final - Somdev BEAT Isner in the final.

Isner deserves it more 'cause of D.C. - and of course above all because he's American

johnny ballgame
08-15-2007, 03:45 PM
doesn't get one anymore

and Somdev is anything but American - but yeah, i wish the champ still got one

Wasn't aware, thanks for the heads up. Kinda B.S. in my opinion. College champ deserves a WC, American or not.

ktownva
08-15-2007, 05:02 PM
how did Isner deserve it more than Somdev based on the NCAA final - Somdev BEAT Isner in the final.

Isner deserves it more 'cause of D.C. - and of course above all because he's American

We know Somdev won the ncaa singles final! But he barely beat Isner, and never broke serve. Isner was also part of the ncaa championship team. Those results and DC got him the wc, and being American didn't hurt.

ktownva
08-15-2007, 05:03 PM
Wasn't aware, thanks for the heads up. Kinda B.S. in my opinion. College champ deserves a WC, American or not.

I agree. He's got a sweet game too. Would have been nice to see him play Fed in R2.

Topaz
08-15-2007, 05:06 PM
Qualifying WC are:

Stephen Bass (22, Bronxville, N.Y.), Matt Bruch (20, Lake Forest, Ill.), Lester Cook (23, Sherman Oaks, Calif.) Ryler De Heart (23, Tampa, Fla.), Scoville Jenkins (20, Atlanta), Bryan Koniecko (20, Syosset, N.Y.), Nikita Kryvonos (20, Flushing, N.Y.), reigning US Open boys’ singles champion Dusan Lojda (19, Czech Republic) and Phillip Simmonds (21, Reston, Va.).

Go Scoville! And wow, Simmonds is from right up the road from me!

Starlite
08-15-2007, 05:30 PM

Whoops, that's right I completely forgot about that! Silly me!

Dimonator133
08-15-2007, 05:42 PM
here's my Wild Card Analysis / Predictions (http://www.protennisblog.com/3.html) if anyone's interested

saram
08-15-2007, 05:54 PM

Dancevic truly earned a spot over Young. Again, the USTA is flawed and influenced. Dancevic would destroy Young in straight sets.

quest01
08-15-2007, 05:57 PM
Thats good that a lot of Americans will get a chance in playing in this years U.S. Open. Hopefully this will be a good tournament for them.

equinox
08-15-2007, 06:02 PM
Alun jones is in great form. Winner + finalist in challengers the last month.

http://www.itftennis.com/mens/players/player.asp?player=10021922

http://tinyurl.com/35md47

saram
08-15-2007, 06:08 PM
Thats good that a lot of Americans will get a chance in playing in this years U.S. Open. Hopefully this will be a good tournament for them.

Donald Young has not made it to the finals of any ATP tour event outside of a challenger series tournament. He has also failed to put together two consecutive ATP tour wins. He does not deserve to be in the US Open over Dancevic. Isner, yes. Young, no.

Young has not EARNED the right--others have.

johnkidd
08-15-2007, 06:16 PM
We know Somdev won the ncaa singles final! But he barely beat Isner, and never broke serve. Isner was also part of the ncaa championship team. Those results and DC got him the wc, and being American didn't hurt.

Isner was playing that match with a severe hang nail. If it wasn't for that he would have dominated Somdev in straight sets.

johnkidd
08-15-2007, 06:19 PM
Donald Young has not made it to the finals of any ATP tour event outside of a challenger series tournament. He has also failed to put together two consecutive ATP tour wins. He does not deserve to be in the US Open over Dancevic. Isner, yes. Young, no.

They are called Wild Cards for a reason. They are at the tournaments disgression to use as they please. People on this board really need to get over that.

equinox
08-15-2007, 06:44 PM
Who cares if the wonderkid get a WC. The fact is isner isn't going anywhere past the second round. He's got no endurance to last 5 sets.

tennispro11
08-15-2007, 06:46 PM
Who cares if the wonderkid get a WC. The fact is isner isn't going anywhere past the second round. He's got no endurance to last 5 sets.

We will see. I think he will prove you wrong.

idj49
08-16-2007, 01:49 AM

How come no one blinks an eye when the other Slams hand out wild cards to their own players? When the US Open does it it turns into pages on pages on why players don't deserve the wild card. Dancevic isn't American that's why he didn't get a wild card simple as that.

Richie Rich
08-16-2007, 03:30 AM
Dancevic isn't American that's why he didn't get a wild card simple as that.

and that's how it should be.

johnny ballgame
08-16-2007, 05:33 AM

The US Open is run by the USTA. Donald Young is an American who just won junior Wimbledon two months ago (his second junior slam). He is the former #1 ranked junior in the world. He has shown improvement at the "minor league" level of the pro tour.

To NOT grant a WC to Young would be ridiculous and indefensible.

Fedace
08-16-2007, 05:35 AM
Matt Bruch gets into the Qualifying draw, Watch for this talented college player to make some noise in the US open qualies.

Atown
08-16-2007, 06:29 AM
They are called Wild Cards for a reason. They are at the tournaments disgression to use as they please.

johnkidd,

Not to digress, but I believe you meant discretion.

Tchocky
08-16-2007, 06:44 AM
I don't see any of these guys getting out of the 1st round. Most of these guys have never played a best of 5 sets match.

Silent
08-16-2007, 06:56 AM
As much as I love Dancevic, and as much as I want him to be in the main draw, the USTA can hand out WCs to Mickey Mouse for all I care because they have the right to do so.

At the Roger's Cup they gave WCs to Phillip Bester and Frederic Niemeyer, but refused one to Feliciano Lopez, who then had to qualify and lost. All tournaments do this, and it's perfect that way because it gives the chance to other players to show what they're made of.

johnkidd
08-16-2007, 07:21 AM
johnkidd,

Not to digress, but I believe you meant discretion.

Yeah I typed that last night while drinking a couple beers. Should have peobably gone to bed.

Richie Rich
08-16-2007, 03:10 PM
well, murray just pulled out with a bad wrist. hopefully dancevic might get a direct entry in now.

idj49
08-16-2007, 05:02 PM
well, murray just pulled out with a bad wrist. hopefully dancevic might get a direct entry in now.

Even with Murray pulling out Dancevic is 4 out of the main draw.

Zaragoza
08-16-2007, 06:08 PM

Murray withdrew from New Haven, where did you hear US Open?

Dimonator133
08-16-2007, 06:56 PM

yeah Murray withdrew from New Haven, if he also withdrew from U.S. that's news to me

saram
08-16-2007, 07:11 PM
The US Open is run by the USTA. Donald Young is an American who just won junior Wimbledon two months ago (his second junior slam). He is the former #1 ranked junior in the world. He has shown improvement at the "minor league" level of the pro tour.

To NOT grant a WC to Young would be ridiculous and indefensible.

I'll keep this in mind...especially when Donald gets sent packing again in the first round and P Mac blasts his game once again.

"Minor leagues" and the US Open are not even close to apples and oranges. They are like coal and diamonds....

Fedace
08-16-2007, 10:38 PM
Matt Bruch could go all the way to the Quarterfinals like Jay Berger did way back when.

Richie Rich
08-17-2007, 01:01 AM

you could be right. i just read that murray withdrew because of a sore wrist and assumed it was the us open. didn't realize he was supposed to play new haven.

Moose Malloy
08-27-2007, 02:45 PM
lots of great predictions in this thread. anyone have egg on their face?