PDA

View Full Version : Davydenko - The Right Fall Man?

Jon Rudy
08-15-2007, 03:54 PM
A thought struck me the other day: the Tim Donaghy betting probe has all-but brought the NBA to its knees, and it has people checking the tapes from seasons past. However, despite Nikolay Davydenko's high ranking on the ATP Tour, it seems his match-fixing scandal hasn't really made that much of an impact at all.

As soon as the story broke, it looked like a story that would rock the tennis world. Now, I rarely hear about it, and the only time I do is when Davydenko himself is playing. It's like it's no big deal.

Is it because it was Davydenko that nobody seems to care? As hardcore tennis fans most of us appreciate what he has to offer, but to the casual observer he comes off as a boring, balding baseliner with little charisma. If he was found guilty and was suspended, banned, fined or even arrested, would the game really take that much of a hit? Would the sport of tennis live on if Davydenko was gone?

Admittedly, my perception may be skewed because of the U.S.'s utter disdain of in-depth reporting on any sport that's not a part of the big three, and one tennis match being fixed may look like small fries when compared to dogfighting, referee scandals and steroids, but would it be that way if it was anybody in the top 5 or 10 other than Davydenko?

tennispro11
08-15-2007, 04:16 PM
A thought struck me the other day: the Tim Donaghy betting probe has all-but brought the NBA to its knees, and it has people checking the tapes from seasons past. However, despite Nikolay Davydenko's high ranking on the ATP Tour, it seems his match-fixing scandal hasn't really made that much of an impact at all.

As soon as the story broke, it looked like a story that would rock the tennis world. Now, I rarely hear about it, and the only time I do is when Davydenko himself is playing. It's like it's no big deal.

Is it because it was Davydenko that nobody seems to care? As hardcore tennis fans most of us appreciate what he has to offer, but to the casual observer he comes off as a boring, balding baseliner with little charisma. If he was found guilty and was suspended, banned, fined or even arrested, would the game really take that much of a hit? Would the sport of tennis live on if Davydenko was gone?

Admittedly, my perception may be skewed because of the U.S.'s utter disdain of in-depth reporting on any sport that's not a part of the big three, and one tennis match being fixed may look like small fries when compared to dogfighting, referee scandals and steroids, but would it be that way if it was anybody in the top 5 or 10 other than Davydenko?

I completely agree. When I heard about this I thought this was going to be a HUGE deal. But as we found out, not that big of a deal. It kinda seems like this issue has been pushed under the rug. I would really like to see some headway made on this. If there is crap like this going on, it needs to be fixed. Who honestly wants to watch a tennis match where a guy is going to lose on purpose.

daddy
08-15-2007, 04:18 PM
I completely agree. When I heard about this I thought this was going to be a HUGE deal. But as we found out, not that big of a deal. It kinda seems like this issue has been pushed under the rug. I would really like to see some headway made on this. If there is crap like this going on, it needs to be fixed. Who honestly wants to watch a tennis match where a guy is going to lose on purpose.

Its so hard to prove you know, I think that may be the reason. Although I remember when Korda was acused of steroid pumping or whatever, whole world of tennis anathemised him.

hoosierbr
08-15-2007, 04:28 PM
Maybe it's just me but Davydenko would be the last guy I'd suspect of tanking matches for money. The guy plays more tournaments than anyone. I remember when he got to the SF at the USO last year the commentators kept brining up that he'd played every week except one coming into NYC. The guy's a workhorse and is making enough just by showing up. Seems silly he'd risk his whole career for a few extra bucks.

But you never know.

Jon Rudy
08-15-2007, 05:37 PM
I agree...Davydenko just doesn't look like the type of guy that would do that sort of thing...he's got to have a ridiculous back account anyway...does he ever even take a day off to spend any money?

It was just kind of curious to me to look at an entire page of topics, and not see one discussing Davydenko. I suspect he could be banned from tennis, and it still wouldn't garner the amount of posts that talk about Andy Roddick's form on his backhand.

daddy
08-15-2007, 05:40 PM
I agree...Davydenko just doesn't look like the type of guy that would do that sort of thing...he's got to have a ridiculous back account anyway...does he ever even take a day off to spend any money?

It was just kind of curious to me to look at an entire page of topics, and not see one discussing Davydenko. I suspect he could be banned from tennis, and it still wouldn't garner the amount of posts that talk about Andy Roddick's form on his backhand.

Its a valid point here, I do think hes so down to earth and I dont think when you have like 10mils in pocket youd risk earning another 10 just to fix a freaking match. But who knows, people do not always follow the logic.

rabidcow
08-15-2007, 07:06 PM
He may have honestly not know about it. I think I read that he had a stress fracture, if thats true then his trainer could have leaked it without his knowlege. Those things have an annoying habit of just randomnly getting worse (personal expericence speaking)

fantom
08-16-2007, 05:24 AM
I think Davydenko seems like a good guy. But he may have been made an offer that he couldn't refuse.....2 words: russian mob

WayneCM
08-16-2007, 05:37 AM
I think Davydenko seems like a good guy. But he may have been made an offer that he couldn't refuse.....2 words: russian mob
i thought the same thing, he doesn't grab me as a guy who would do this 4 personal gain, i thought somethin must have went down... But what do i know i'm an andy roddick fan...;)

jelle v
08-16-2007, 05:42 AM
I don't know about an incident.. What happened exactly? :confused:

WayneCM
08-16-2007, 05:56 AM
^^^^ He lost 2 suspicious first round matches, on a surface he is known for his skill, and to players of little consequence(to the average onlooker)... There were also large amounts of money placed on these games in favour of the opposition..

daddy
08-16-2007, 07:03 AM

Hes ukranian playing for russia ! ;)

Nevermind I think this may be it. I firmly believe he would never do sucha stupid thing unless ..

Fedace
08-16-2007, 07:09 AM

Maybe but here in the US, Nobody bets on tennis so nobody cares. I think in europe, tennis betting is much bigger. You know , i don't know why people don't make more money betting on tennis, cause when i just make picks for fun , i hit about 85% of the time on who wins. and with this percentage, you would think you can make some big money. And i also know that Cliff Drysdale spoke of his friend who made around $50,000 on tennis betting cause he was so good at picking the winner. What goes on in europe ?:confused: