PDA

View Full Version : Tossing the ball in front vs tossing the ball directly above.

Ripper
08-15-2007, 05:11 PM
My doctor says I should do all my serves by tossing the ball in front, because it's less stressful to the rotator cuff. Have you heard this before?

PS: Decided to post this here, instead of on the Health Forum, because it's more a matter of technique.

TennsDog
08-15-2007, 05:19 PM
I can imagine hitting directly above on the serve would cause a good bit more stress on the arm and shoulder than tossing a bit in front. I was recently told that my service toss directly above my shoulder could have been what caused my tennis elbow. I have found absolutely no benefit to tossing directly above the shoulder at contact on serve. I know it's no guarantee for everyone, but I get better spin, pace, and consistency when I toss only about 6" further in front.

dennis10is
08-15-2007, 05:20 PM
My doctor says I should do all my serves by tossing the ball in front, because it's less stressful to the rotator cuff. Have you heard this before?

PS: Decided to post this here, instead of on the Health Forum, because it's more a matter of technique.

Yes. If you have a torn rotator cuff, as I had, you would want to toss the ball more in front.

bad_call
08-15-2007, 08:08 PM

haven't heard of this from a doctor however i'm not surprised.

Taxvictim
08-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Unless you're going for a kick serve, then you'd want the ball over your head and maybe a little back. But then you're brushing up with the racquet, so it shouldn't be so hard on the rotator cuff anyway.

Can we all just agree to start writing "racket"?

Noveson
08-15-2007, 10:42 PM
Unless you're going for a kick serve, then you'd want the ball over your head and maybe a little back. But then you're brushing up with the racquet, so it shouldn't be so hard on the rotator cuff anyway.

Can we all just agree to start writing "racket"?

I think we can all agree to start writing "racquet";)

TennsDog
08-20-2007, 11:44 AM
I think we can all agree to start writing "racquet";)

That wouldn't be starting. That would be continuing, as "racquet" is the traditional spelling and "racket" has only become a popular Americanized version in recent years (recent as far as the history of racquet/racket sports is concerned).

chess9
08-20-2007, 12:07 PM
England uses RACKET primarily. I'd rather mine be a rocket. ;)

-Robert

jck01
08-20-2007, 03:49 PM
I can imagine hitting directly above on the serve would cause a good bit more stress on the arm and shoulder than tossing a bit in front. I was recently told that my service toss directly above my shoulder could have been what caused my tennis elbow. I have found absolutely no benefit to tossing directly above the shoulder at contact on serve. I know it's no guarantee for everyone, but I get better spin, pace, and consistency when I toss only about 6" further in front.

I agree with TennsDog. When I'm not hitting my serves as hard as I normally do, it's usually due to the ball toss being above my head instead of in front of me. Unless you want to tap serve the ball, I would recommend tossing the ball in front of you.