PDA

View Full Version : Please explain how the ATP race works

zorroman
08-15-2007, 05:24 PM
I am quite confused about how the ATP Race works. Two questions:

(1) As far as I know, the ATP Race is a race for points during the calender year, and at the end of the year, the ATP race and the ATP rankings are the same, correct?

(2) How many Race points does the winner of the Cincy tournament get? The website says that the winner gets 500 points. That probably applies to the rankings, but does it apply to the Race also? I find it hard to believe considering that the Race leader currently has less that 1000 points for the year overall.

saram
08-15-2007, 05:27 PM
There are really two 'races'. One, is the calendar year and leader for the year. The other includes how well a player defends or repeats their performance of the previous year. Complicated...

zorroman
08-15-2007, 05:30 PM
There are really two 'races'. One, is the calendar year and leader for the year. The other includes how well a player defends or repeats their performance of the previous year. Complicated...

Saram, let us not complicate this:). There is only one ATP Race. I am not using Race as a generic term, I am talking about the ATP Race.

saram
08-15-2007, 05:51 PM
Ok...win a match, earn a point or two. Each tournament awards different amounts of points....the player that earns the most points wins the race.

Simple enough?

jrstrat
08-15-2007, 06:14 PM
I am quite confused about how the ATP Race works. Two questions:

(1) As far as I know, the ATP Race is a race for points during the calender year, and at the end of the year, the ATP race and the ATP rankings are the same, correct?

(2) How many Race points does the winner of the Cincy tournament get? The website says that the winner gets 500 points. That probably applies to the rankings, but does it apply to the Race also? I find it hard to believe considering that the Race leader currently has less that 1000 points for the year overall.

100 points for the winner in Cincy in the ATP race.

The ATP entry ranking system looks at a rolling 12 months worth of results and the race looks at the year to date results only. Seedings in tourneys are based ont the entry ranking system. Here is some additional info from atptennis.com

http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/information/rankfaq.asp

erswimmer02
08-15-2007, 06:18 PM
OK the regular ATP rankings is an ongoing year running system that dates back to the same week of a year ago. So for federer his ranking still reflects his R32 loss at Cinncy last year as well as his winning the US Open in 2006. So for example if he wins cinncinati this week, which is worth 500 points, he gains 465 points on to his ranking, because he is not defending much due to his earlier loss a year ago. (he only got 35 points for his performance last year).

The ATP Race is the calander year only. So anything that has happened since January 1. Nadal is ahead in this one at the moment by 110 points. he has won more points so far in this year. Federer can catch up to within 22 points of him in the race if he wins this week, as winning a Masters Series event is worth 100 in the Race, while Nadals loss today earned him only 1 point.

So at the US Open, if Federer were to win the title, he would not move his point total at all in the rankings, as he just holds his 1000 from a year ago. But in the race he would add 200, and it would bolt him up to first place in the race as well.

KerryJ
08-15-2007, 08:05 PM
They have to get points to start off the new year right? How would they maintain their #1 ranking if they're tied with everyone else in the world?

angharad
08-15-2007, 08:09 PM
They have to get points to start off the new year right? How would they maintain their #1 ranking if they're tied with everyone else in the world?

That's only for the ATP race, not the regular rankings system. At the start of the new tennis season each year, the ATP race starts all over again - everyone's back to having zero race points. They all maintain their regular rankings, though, as those are based on the previous 52 weeks of results.