PDA

View Full Version : Why does my Pure Storm Team feel so much stiffer than the PS Tour?

pmata814
08-15-2007, 06:51 PM
I own a Pure Storm Team, which I'm trying to get rid of because I didn't like how stiff and light it is. I recently demoed the PS Tour and it felt so much softer than mine. (I loved everything about the tour by the way) The PS team has a 63 flex rating and the Tour has a 64 rating. The difference should not be that drastic! I have my PS team strung with NXT at 56 lbs on a crank which is about 53 on constant pull so I doubt it's the tension.

Could it be that because the Tour is heavier it feels softer on impact? I've been messing with lead on my Tour Diablo MP trying to get it to feel more like the PS Tour but maybe I should be adding lead to the PS Team? I realize I would have to add over 20 gms. of lead but do you think this is possible? Or would it feel to weird? I can't spend $ on another racquet right now so I'm trying to work around it ;)

jura
08-15-2007, 07:13 PM
I think it's about the weight. Try to weight up your PS Team to the specs of the PS Tour and check again the feeling.

pmata814
08-15-2007, 07:33 PM
I think it's about the weight. Try to weight up your PS Team to the specs of the PS Tour and check again the feeling.

Where would I place the lead in order to achieve this. I know USRSA has a morphinator tool but you have to be a member in order to use it. Does anybody know of another site that might have a similiar tool that is free to use?

Keifers
08-15-2007, 07:48 PM
I kinda doubt the difference in feel between these two racquets is caused by the difference in weight.

I suspect you've run into the limitations of comparing flex ratings. Flex is measured this way: Think of a seesaw, with the fulcrum point being half way along the length of the board. A racquet is placed on a fulcrum point (NOT halfway along its length), the handle end is fixed so the frame is horizontal, and a force is applied downwards at the tip of the frame. Flex is a measure of how much the frame bends (how much the tip moves downwards).

So flex is a measure of how much the frame bends about that point. It could well be that the PS Tour flexes more in the hoop than the Pure Storm, and that's the difference you're feeling.

So overall weight of the frames isn't causing the difference. (Although a heavier racquet will feel more solid and comfortable as you swing it to hit through the ball.)

vsdtrek
08-15-2007, 08:30 PM
Hi -

I think Keifers is right. I used to own some Storms and also tried the Tour several times. The Storm has a firmer hoop, especially in the tip. I loved the Storm for about 6 matches this summer but eventually I did not have good strokes for its specs and my elbow has suffered. I went back to the PS 6.0 95.

jura
08-15-2007, 08:44 PM
To clear something: There is probably a difference in the construction between the PS Team and PS Tour. But in my eyes the main difference is the weight. Bring the PS Team to the specs of the Tour and I think they won't feel that different anymore - but anyway they are not the same rackets!

It's just that many times I heard from people that a racket feels "so stiff" and it was only a too lightweighted racket.

Keifers
08-15-2007, 11:00 PM
To clear something: There is probably a difference in the construction between the PS Team and PS Tour. But in my eyes the main difference is the weight. Bring the PS Team to the specs of the Tour and I think they won't feel that different anymore - but anyway they are not the same rackets!
Sorry, but I don't agree with this because adding weight to a stiff racquet will not make it feel (or play) more flexible.

It's just that many times I heard from people that a racket feels "so stiff" and it was only a too lightweighted racket.
Many, many modern racquets are indeed light in weight and very stiff. They've been designed that way because in the quest to make racquets lighter (the modern trend), designers have to make them stiffer in order to have any power at all. With heavy racquets, such as the PS Tour 90, the weight of the racquet provides much of its oomph -- so it can be more flexible. Does that make sense?

Go to racquet research dot com (remove the spaces) for some excellent tutorials on racquet design.

jura
08-16-2007, 12:18 AM
My experience is that very often people say "too stiff racket" and mean "too light racket" (or sometimes too heavy) - but they don't know it. If the racket is too light the impact comes very directly to the arm and people have a "stiff feeling". In fact to many players a stiffer racket gives them a "softer feel". They are wrong in this, but it's the way they feel it.
Some years ago I gave my mom my customized T.Fight 325 (RA 57) and she called it "very stiff" and she said that her Head i. S18 (RA 75) feels so much softer and comfortable. You understand what I mean? This has nothing to do with technical specs. Of course you can't influence the RA of a racket with the weight.

haerdalis
08-16-2007, 03:02 AM
I feel adding weight at the tip and butt of a racquet will make it feel more flexy.