PDA

View Full Version : Roddicks tournament for the taking...

musicalmedic81
08-15-2007, 07:06 PM
SPOILER ALERT FOR THOSE WHO HAVENT SEEN FEDERER vs BENNETEAU......................................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ................................

And you can take this with a grain of salt. Heck, you better take this with a mountain of salt because im probably going to get verbally crucified for saying this.... but with nadal, and Joker both out, you must admit Andy has a pretty good shot at getting to the finals, and Federer just seems to be a little... uninspired or something. Its hard to pin point what Im trying to say, he's just not the normal Federer. yeah, he got the job done against benneteau tonight, but he wasnt as sharp as he normally is, made lots of errors, just didnt have that edge that he normally has. Now, my OPINION.... is that if we end up with a Federer / Roddick final.... Roddick takes it in 2 with first set going to a tiebreaker.

Think about it, if Federer had been playing someone tonight with Roddicks consistency, it would have been a totally different match.

I think if fed does play Roddick in the final, if he plays like he played tonight, Roddick in my opinion would dominate on serve, keep putting the ball in play and force a few errors on Roger.

Now up to this point, Ive been a pretty neutral guy on here, not stirring up much controversy, so you guys take it easy on me as Im not trying to disrespect any Federer fans or Federer himself. All Im saying is that if Andy ever had another chance to beat Federer, this is it, be it that its not a GS.

And of course, all this is pending on whether Andy even makes it to the final..

Go ahead, start swingin'.........

Stchamps
08-15-2007, 07:09 PM
Let's go ARod!

saram
08-15-2007, 07:11 PM
First, this could be considered a spoiler as you posted today's results and maybe someone wants to come home and watch a match taped after a long day's work.

As for your logic, yes--Roger is not on peak form. Andy has moments of great tennis. COULD it happen? Yes. Will it? Only time will tell.

I will not blast you for thinking out loud.

daddy
08-15-2007, 07:13 PM
YOu got one thing missing there, I respect rod but he has a mental blocade when playing fed. Id give fed 6-3 6-2 in finals, thats just me. I think others have better chance of taking him on, not ARod with his losing streak going back to his berth against Fed.

OrangeOne
08-15-2007, 07:14 PM
Hasn't Fed beaten Roddick the last 72839 times they've played?.... including that memorable time Fed forgot his racquets and played with a tea-spoon?

Sorry, a 72839-0 head to head (and Fed with something to prove) doesn't make me think this one will be likely :)

That said: fair play to you for writing your OP in such a fun and interesting way, it's much better to see someone being realistic and rational in a thread like this, as opposed to the usual pathetic trolling nature of such threads....

Tennis_Monk
08-15-2007, 07:15 PM
Not Even Close. Federer played decently today. He doesnt need to stretch himself to beat Benneteau in Hot and Humid conditions especially with so many top seeds faltering. Also the Cinci courts were much faster and that also played a role.

In summarization, Federer will pick up the title here (barring an injury or retirement). Andy Roddick will be lucky if he gets to the finals (or semis depending on the draw).

In order to hurt federer , one needs excellent serve (Andy has it), Excellent Forehand (Andy probably has it) and excellent backhand (Andy wont cut it).

The reason why Djokovic and Nadal (in the recent past Nalbandian and Marat Safin) were able to beat federer is because they have all the 3 components.

Tennis_Monk
08-15-2007, 07:17 PM
First, this could be considered a spoiler as you posted today's results and maybe someone wants to come home and watch a match taped after a long day's work.

As for your logic, yes--Roger is not on peak form. Andy has moments of great tennis. COULD it happen? Yes. Will it? Only time will tell.

I will not blast you for thinking out loud.

I agree it is a spoiler strictly from a Tennis match perspective. But not a Federer-Benneteau match.
We are not expecting Mr.Federer to loose to Benneteau . Are we?.

saram
08-15-2007, 07:18 PM
Not Even Close. Federer played decently today. He doesnt need to stretch himself to beat Benneteau in Hot and Humid conditions especially with so many top seeds faltering. Also the Cinci courts were much faster and that also played a role.

In summarization, Federer will pick up the title here (barring an injury or retirement). Andy Roddick will be lucky if he gets to the finals (or semis depending on the draw).

In order to hurt federer , one needs excellent serve (Andy has it), Excellent Forehand (Andy probably has it) and excellent backhand (Andy wont cut it).

The reason why Djokovic and Nadal (in the recent past Nalbandian and Marat Safin) were able to beat federer is because they have all the 3 components.

He said Rafa has an excellent serve....lol.

saram
08-15-2007, 07:18 PM
I agree it is a spoiler strictly from a Tennis match perspective. But not a Federer-Benneteau match.
We are not expecting Mr.Federer to loose to Benneteau . Are we?.

Well, I didn't expect him to lose to Canas twice...and look what happened...

Tennis_Monk
08-15-2007, 07:19 PM
He said Rafa has an excellent serve....lol.

Ok. Rafa doesnt have an excellent serve. A reliable serve is what it is.

Tennis_Monk
08-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Well, I didn't expect him to lose to Canas twice...and look what happened...

Agreed. But those are far and few. I can bet you this. If Federer lost today to Benneteau,Spoiler or not you would see a zillion threads by now (incl the famous "Should Federer Retire?").

TW policies doesnt indicate how long one waits before posting a match result. If someone leaves their Tivo/DVR On and shoots off for a week's vacation, they cant expect that the results will not be posted here when they return.

daddy
08-15-2007, 07:24 PM
Ok. Rafa doesnt have an excellent serve. A reliable serve is what it is.

Hey - its not bad serve - they measured it 2.10cm high at the baseline. Now try and hit that back if you like. Its not flashy buy not easy to return either. Otherwise Rog would hit 10 times more winners of it if he could.

daddy
08-15-2007, 07:26 PM
Agreed. But those are far and few. I can bet you this. If Federer lost today to Benneteau,Spoiler or not you would see a zillion threads by now (incl the famous "Should Federer Retire?").

TW policies doesnt indicate how long one waits before posting a match result. If someone leaves their Tivo/DVR On and shoots off for a week's vacation, they cant expect that the results will not be posted here when they return.

I dont know this spoiling thing. Lets assume you work and get back from work and have your favourite player taped. You sit down and watch do you ? You dont just sit at your pc and chat with people and then watch it latter . If you want to avoid knowing, dont log in to the forum ..

IMO

daddy
08-15-2007, 07:28 PM
Hasn't Fed beaten Roddick the last 72839 times they've played?.... including that memorable time Fed forgot his racquets and played with a tea-spoon?

Sorry, a 72839-0 head to head (and Fed with something to prove) doesn't make me think this one will be likely :)

That said: fair play to you for writing your OP in such a fun and interesting way, it's much better to see someone being realistic and rational in a thread like this, as opposed to the usual pathetic trolling nature of such threads....

Exactly my point. As I said above I think he has something preventing him to give his all against fed, what it is I dont know. Its mental though 100% and maybe a bit of stubbern stupidity of not adjusting to feds game, hell not adjust to yours as long as hes kisking your *** all the time.

Tennis_Monk
08-15-2007, 07:36 PM
I dont know this spoiling thing. Lets assume you work and get back from work and have your favourite player taped. You sit down and watch do you ? You dont just sit at your pc and chat with people and then watch it latter . If you want to avoid knowing, dont log in to the forum ..

IMO

Exactly this is what i am trying to convey. Why would i spend my time posting (and expect noone discloses the result) when i have a taped match waiting for me?

Honestly i dont care if i know the match result or not. I happened to have a few good friends in this forum who are big on this spoiler thing. Out of respect for them, i avoid spoilers.

saram
08-15-2007, 07:37 PM

True. Far and few--but they happen. And, rules are rules. Like someone mentioned in another thread, at least 24 hours is about right.

And yes, Rafa does have a reliable serve--rarely lets him down.

tennispro11
08-15-2007, 07:40 PM
True. Far and few--but they happen. And, rules are rules. Like someone mentioned in another thread, at least 24 hours is about right.

I have been trying to mention it whenever someone posts results. But anyways, no, Roddick will not win this tournament.

Challenger
08-15-2007, 07:42 PM
Roddick's tournament for the taking? I'm a Roddick fan, but even I don't believe that.

First off, he'll have a rather testing road ahead of him to even reach the final. He'll have to beat Ferrer, then either Davydenko or Berdych in the QF, then probably Blake in the SF to even get a shot at Federer.

And no matter how "uninspired" Fed is playing, he is still easily the favorite. A Federer playing at 75% is still probably good enough to handle Andy at this point, since (1) Fed has learned to read Andy's serve exceptionally well, (2) Roddick does not have the ability to out-rally Federer, and (3) Roddick doesn't have the return game to give trouble on Fed's service games.

I think the reason Federer looks lethargic out there is because he can afford to be lethargic. Face it...he's facing Benneteau. He didn't need to bring his A-game. When facing Andy, I'm sure he'll put more effort in.

Again, it's definitely Federer's tournament to lose now. If he doesn't win, it'll be a huge disappointment to him.

Kim
08-15-2007, 07:44 PM
Guys, do you really believe Fed is serious about anything less than GS anymore?

Tennis_Monk
08-15-2007, 07:47 PM

I would question 24 hrs. It isnt listed as a TW policy so has no bearing.
why should it be 24 hrs?. why not 23 hrs or 12 hrs or what not...Doesnt seem to have a strong rationale.

daddy
08-15-2007, 07:47 PM

Im not sure he is anymore, Id like to think he is but I am sure that he wount sell his skin to anyone just like that. Surely he will not be mentally shaken if he loses in 3rd round or whatever but I think hell set his mind to avenge the defeat anytime soon. To be what he is you need to have that attitude, Im the best and I can not afford to lose just like that.

Against Djoko, during ceremony and after during interview, he was speaking about irrelevance of all that but did he seem like it was all the same ? I think he was shaken a bit, not much but he looked angry in some way.

anointedone
08-15-2007, 07:48 PM

Whether he is or isnt he is serious about the #1 ranking and he will do everything to try and win this tournament since he needs to pick up the points.

Topaz
08-15-2007, 07:49 PM

A teaspoon? Man, you just made iced-tea shoot out of my nose! Excellent post!

tennispro11
08-15-2007, 07:49 PM
I would question 24 hrs. It isnt listed as a TW policy so has no bearing.
why should it be 24 hrs?. why not 23 hrs or 12 hrs or what not...Doesnt seem to have a strong rationale.

Um.... let's see as to the reason for 24 hours. How many hours are in a day? Are tennis matches usually televised the day after they are played? Many people tape tivo the matches to watch when they come home. Hopefully that helps you understand the 24. :)

Tennis_Monk
08-15-2007, 07:54 PM
Um.... let's see as to the reason for 24 hours. How many hours are in a day? Are tennis matches usually televised the day after they are played? Many people tape tivo the matches to watch when they come home. Hopefully that helps you understand the 24. :)

No sir. Tennis matches are telivised a day after they are played. Not in USA but in a few countries i happened to visit.
Unless we are only concerned about USA fans, 24 hrs doesnt seem valid.
There are still plenty of countries where TIVO/DVR arent widely popular.

I have it TIVO'd doesnt mean i watch it the same day. I can watch it the next day , day after , Weekend or what not. I am sure working communities may be able to watch it the same day, The student communities with exams, labs, Dates and etc may or may not be able to watch it the same day.

tennispro11
08-15-2007, 08:00 PM
No sir. Tennis matches are telivised a day after they are played. Not in USA but in a few countries i happened to visit.
Unless we are only concerned about USA fans, 24 hrs doesnt seem valid.
There are still plenty of countries where TIVO/DVR arent widely popular.

I have it TIVO'd doesnt mean i watch it the same day. I can watch it the next day , day after , Weekend or what not. I am sure working communities may be able to watch it the same day, The student communities with exams, labs, Dates and etc may or may not be able to watch it the same day.

Well I can't say that I have been to Europe, but I have been to South America and they televised the matches live because the time difference wasn't extremely bad. I get what your saying though. I was just saying 24 makes more sense than the 12 or 23 you said. I was a student and always managed to watch the tennis that I wanted to watch, no matter how busy I was with labs, etc. You have a valid point though, so I will be quiet. :)

musicalmedic81
08-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Oh yeah... Spoiler alert.

Jon Rudy
08-15-2007, 08:17 PM
I don't quite get why people believe all Federer cares about is the No. 1 ranking and grand slams. He lost in the final of Montreal, in a tight match...it was his first tournament back since Wimbledon, wasn't it?

Losses happen, and even though they may have happened more this year than in past years, wasn't it bound to happen sooner or later? Djokovic was waiting for a breakout match to get over the hump, and that entire tournament appeared to be it for him.

brc444
08-15-2007, 08:19 PM
Do people who Tivo/tape the match skip over the ATP home page and go right to Talk Tennis Warehouse? The reason I ask is because the ATP home page acts as a spoiler soon after a significant match is done by prominently displaying the results?

daddy
08-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Do people who Tivo/tape the match skip over the ATP home page and go right to Talk Tennis Warehouse? The reason I ask is because the ATP home page acts as a spoiler soon after a significant match is done by prominently displaying the results?

Good point. They update it like 5 seconds after its done. Like many other sites. Nevermind rules are rules, arent they always stupid ? But you kind of follow them because too many people are wrapped around in their boxes to think about it.

NamRanger
08-15-2007, 08:27 PM
If Roddick somehow rediscovers his forehand from 2003 and combines it with his smarter play now, then maybe... just maybe.

musicalmedic81
08-15-2007, 08:48 PM
If Roddick somehow rediscovers his forehand from 2003 and combines it with his smarter play now, then maybe... just maybe.

Agree with you there..

2shots
08-16-2007, 01:48 AM
Roddick could not win this, even if it slapped him square in the face

tennis_hand
08-16-2007, 01:58 AM
Is Roddick going to present himself to be humiliated again by Fed in the final?
Yes!

WayneCM
08-16-2007, 05:31 AM
i'm a roddick fan and i think he is in with a chance ppl have been mentioning the tough draw, 4 me it looks to be the perfect draw, all tough matches so he'll have to be at his best, and if shanghai has thought us anything its that if Roddick serves well on these surfaces he can push fed all the way, mental aspect may still cripple him...

I think he can make the final and i hope he does he's playing more aggressively, flattening out his forehand a lil more and been more court aware...(Not sayin he's a federer but ya gotta start small)...

Was hoping i'd get to see him face off against Djoko or Rafa, but hey hopefully he can at least make the finals keep his points up and have confidence goin into the USO... USO should be excellent this year, Fed has been less dominant on the hard courts and i feel there are a lot of players in contention...

2shots
08-17-2007, 01:11 AM
HAHAHAHAHAHA ........ Rodicks tournament for the taking.......:p

FEDEXP
08-17-2007, 01:16 AM
It is more the case these days that Roddick is for the taking....

daddy
08-17-2007, 10:35 AM
I think the guy is right, dont bash him ..

;)

anointedone
08-20-2007, 09:24 AM
How anyone started a thread a tournament with Federer still in it, even with Nadal and Djokovic both out, was ever Roddick's "for the taking" is beyond comprehension. However maybe all he needed was David Ferrer to be out for it to be his "for the taking". :)

luv2volley
08-20-2007, 10:11 AM
Also his stamina, it usually went down in the third set with tough opponents.