PDA

View Full Version : Top Spin - rare trajectory after the bounce -

emmanuel
08-15-2007, 06:56 PM
Hello,
I've been learning to hit with more heavy top spin.
But now I've noted when the ball bounce in the side of my opponent, the trajectory of the ball change, like slice or kick serve.
Is that normal?
Why this happen?
At least, my opponent has troubles because he is not hitting on the sweetspot of his racquet.
E.

EricW
08-15-2007, 07:09 PM
This happens because of excessive wrist movement. You make contact with the ball when your racquet isn't square, instead wrapping around the ball a little bit

This is assuming the ball is bouncing left of it's trajectory in your point of view and you're a right hander

emmanuel
08-15-2007, 07:16 PM
But is that a signal of bad technique?
I am winning a lot of point with that!
:D

EricW
08-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Depends, is the excessive wrist movement "active"? By that I mean, is the force of the swing and a relaxed wrist generating the excessive wrist movement or are you snapping your wrist actively via wrist muscles? If it's active, it's a terrible idea, bad technique, and will get you injured fast.

You'll see pros sometimes hit forehands that bounce weird like this but not often. If you hit squarely and without the excessive wrist movement your shots will be easier to keep in (more topspin, less can go wrong, will mishit less, and easier to control)

I'd suggest you ditch this shot and learn how to hit it so you have pure topspin, because you might injure yourself and it'll be much harder to be consistent if you continue to use your current technique

emmanuel
08-15-2007, 07:30 PM
Thanks Eric,
I am using double bend and my wrist is blocked, 90°.

emmanuel
08-15-2007, 07:34 PM
I've noted that happen when I've applied more hips rotation.
But I am not sure...

POGforEver
08-15-2007, 08:05 PM
Hmm I've been wondering why that happens sometimes too! Thanks.

Gmedlo
08-15-2007, 08:32 PM
That's usually what happens when you use a "windshield wiper" forehand on a high ball and strike the ball really far out of your contact zone.

...^^^...........
.\\\\\...........
..\\\\\..........
...\(_)\.........
....\\\\\.........

when you strike the ball like that.

mucat
08-16-2007, 12:12 AM
Yes, wiper FH hitting out in front will produce side spin, if that's what you are talking about.

emmanuel
08-16-2007, 06:44 AM
Thanks for your comments.

RM05
08-16-2007, 09:11 AM
i do this only if i need too. its good for keeping the ball in when you're being pushed way off court. nadal uses when he's being pushed off court while the other dood comes into the net. it then curves into the court and wins that point.

but yeah...try to vary the amount spin you put on the ball which could also determine the depth/placement of the ball. that'll make it even tougher for your opponent and it'll break their rhythm. remember you want to be as unpredictable as you can.

good luck!

ShooterMcMarco
08-16-2007, 09:51 AM
I hit a ball with that same trajectory with a one hander too, if I wiper it from 7 to 1, it will hook to the ad-court then bounce straight up.

mucat
08-16-2007, 12:06 PM
I think the ATP pros does this a lot, too bad it is very difficult to notice this on the TV. Since the side spin component is very small compare to the topspin component, the swing speed of the wiper FH will have to be very high for the side spin to be noticeable. I notice I have to really swing fast to produce the effect. But I notice the Pros does this on almost every shot.

Dashbarr
08-16-2007, 07:23 PM
It isn't really bad technique. I've been doing it on shots for a year or so now, and no coach (or anyone for that matter) has said anything but good things about it. The only downside i can think of is excessive and unnecessary raquet movement. But otherwise, I can't think of much else wrong with it.