PDA

View Full Version : Please Analyze My Serve (Vid)

iTones
08-15-2007, 08:24 PM
Hello, here is a video of my serve. I feel like I have decent spin and consistency, but I am lacking in the power department.
Any suggestions/advices would be really helpful.

Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOB6LzIzEaE

Megaupload: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UZ14Y71U

(I couldn't figure out how to put it in quicktime and didn't know which site to post it on). If you have the time to analyze my serve frame by frame then please download from Megaupload. It is 19.55MB. Thank you very much.

-Tone

AM28143
08-15-2007, 08:28 PM
It would help to know where they landed.

iTones
08-15-2007, 08:28 PM
It would help to know where they landed.

Ah yes, There are two rear view serve at the end.

Gmedlo
08-15-2007, 08:51 PM
I actually though your serve was pretty decent in the speed department. Until I saw the two serves from the angle.

The first thing that comes to mind is moving into the serve more. At the moment you look as if only your upper body is moving through the ball, instead of your whole body.

And I wouldn't expect much pace with that serve stance and an abbreviated service motion.

MTXR
08-15-2007, 09:15 PM
are you slicing them or something?

Well either way if you can flatten it out a little should pick up a little pace. More knee bend would help and use of core muscles.

Solat
08-15-2007, 09:39 PM
And I wouldn't expect much pace with that serve stance and an abbreviated service motion.

the stance is actually pretty good and this is by no means an abbreviated motion as his racquet gets all the way down past his back leg.

OP: two things strike me most about increasing pace in your serve
1. Rotation to contact, you need to drive your R hip and R shoulder round earlier to be square on contact for your first serve. Being more side is great for getting more kick but for pace you need to be more open.
2. Your back leg doesnt help your drive significantly, it has a little drag, so its kinda a platform stance but because you drag a little you are basically only driving off the front leg. You can't call it a pinpoint because you would need to drag up then push off which you don't do either. So i think try to hold more weight on the back leg so as to use it better for upward drive.

otherwise i think it looks like a good action
good luck

iTones
08-16-2007, 10:35 AM
OP: two things strike me most about increasing pace in your serve
1. Rotation to contact, you need to drive your R hip and R shoulder round earlier to be square on contact for your first serve. Being more side is great for getting more kick but for pace you need to be more open.
2. Your back leg doesnt help your drive significantly, it has a little drag, so its kinda a platform stance but because you drag a little you are basically only driving off the front leg. You can't call it a pinpoint because you would need to drag up then push off which you don't do either. So i think try to hold more weight on the back leg so as to use it better for upward drive.

Can I achieve number one (squarer on contact) by hitting the ball earlier?
Some people have mentioned that I let my toss drop down too much sometimes. If I go after the ball earlier, it would open up my shoulders faster, correct?

Also, I read about how changing the position of the backfoot can affect the serve. Is it true that by moving my backfoot more to the right (more open) would generate more pace on my serve while having the backfoot remain further to the left would generate more spin? Is this an accepted concept or is this a myth?

I thought I read about this from an article concerning Henman and how he is trying to generate more pace on his serve. I can't seem to find the article anymore though.

Ambivalent
08-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Is that a k6.1? You win. Your serve is automatically 7.0

iTones
08-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Is that a k6.1? You win. Your serve is automatically 7.0

Actually it's a Wilson W Line W6 Blue Steel if you look more carefully.

Shashwat
08-16-2007, 11:21 AM
Actually it's a Wilson W Line W6 Blue Steel if you look more carefully.

Is that a joke?

about your serve, you seem to brush the ball too much. maybe use a different grip, and flatten it out. that should definately add more pace. your technique looks good.

dacrymn
08-16-2007, 11:31 AM
aha, that's my serve stance. So you have good shoulder turn. But you're not leaning INTO the court. You throw your ball so it lands about a foot and a half into the court, and you PUSH OFF to meet the ball. Also, you're contacting the ball too low. again, go up to meet it. the last serve looked like a kick serve, or at least the swing path was like it. Also, like others have said before, all your power is in your arm, and you want to be using your legs and that shoulder turn you're supposed to be using.

Purostaff
08-17-2007, 06:02 PM
I would recommend throwing the ball higher to increase the amplitude of the contact point as well as amplifying the rate at which kinetic energy is transferred. Also, flattening the shot more by squaring your upper torso prior to contact will play a significant role in diminishing the spin, whereby increasing the pace.

Good luck.

10nisDude~
08-17-2007, 08:58 PM
to me it looks like u drop ur tossing hand a little too early...and u look a little stiff after you hit the ball...also you got to use your knees more...not bad serve though!!

10nisDude~
08-17-2007, 09:00 PM
sorry also you should toss the ball a little bit more in front of you