PDA

View Full Version : yonex rds 002 tour stability

m1stuhxsp4rk5
08-16-2007, 01:43 AM
hows the stability on the rds 002 on return of serve?

TripleB
08-16-2007, 05:41 AM

I just finished demoing the 002 Tour and found it very stable on all shots. Loved everything about the racquet except the weight....just a little too much for a 40 year old man that used to the weight of the RDX500 Midplus.

TripleB

sharp*shooter
08-16-2007, 08:03 AM
You could try the UL version and add overgrips as necessary.

basil J
08-16-2007, 12:17 PM
I am currently using the 002 tour and find it very stable and quite comfortable. Does everything very well, especially at the net. I do not find it heavy at all.

TripleB
08-16-2007, 12:33 PM
Does everything very well, especially at the net. I do not find it heavy at all.

The reason I'm probably finding it a little on the heavy side is because I'm used to an 11.7 ounce racquet (Yonex RDX500 Midplus) while you're used to a racquet with a very similar weight [according to your signature].

I agree, the 002 Tour does everything well....as does the lighter version.

TripleB

auzzieizm
08-16-2007, 04:36 PM
Triple B,
Could you compare the two racquets (RDX 500 MP and RDS 002 Tour)?

Ripper
08-16-2007, 04:57 PM
Triple B,

Yeah, that would be nice.

martin8768
08-16-2007, 05:57 PM
I just finished demoing the 002 Tour and found it very stable on all shots. Loved everything about the racquet except the weight....just a little too much for a 40 year old man that used to the weight of the RDX500 Midplus.

TripleB
then why don't you try the non tour vresion, the 300g one?? i have it, i love it

samster
08-16-2007, 09:13 PM

It is stable on all shots. Very solid frame.

Chauvalito
08-16-2007, 09:19 PM
You could try the UL version and add overgrips as necessary.

Do you know the difference in the weights between the larger and smaller grips.

The 002 tour is a racket I am interested in, but the weight is deterring me right now.

DustinW
08-16-2007, 09:56 PM
Do you know the difference in the weights between the larger and smaller grips.

From the Yonex website...
UL (grips 1,2) is 310 grams (10.9 oz)
SL (grips 3,4,5) is 330 grams (11.6 oz)

AlpineCadet
08-17-2007, 12:29 AM
I think it's a bit too late. I have a feeling he bought one today in a 4 1/2 gripsize. :)

TripleB
08-17-2007, 04:29 AM
Triple B,

I'll do my best:

Control: RDX500...due to the extra weight, I found myself being late on many forehands with the 002; I also didn't have the ability (due to the extra weight) to change where I wanted to hit the ball; 002 control is very good if you have time to prepare but I tend to be lazy so I found better overall control with the RDX500; both racquets will allow you to put the ball where you want

Power: 002...the extra weight definately added more pop to my groundstrokes and my serve when I was able to get the 002 moving quickly (typically at the start of a match); I've strung my RDX500 with natural gut and lowered the tension to try and get more power out of it...definately more power but now the ball tends to fly when hitting flat groundies; think you can get the power you want without having the ball fly with the 002

Topspin: RDX500...I'm able to get more racquet head speed with the lighter racquet which translates into better topspin; the 002 offers good topspin but I just wasn't able to get the bite out of it like I can the RDX500

Slice: 002...the RDS gets a slight edge here; I think the extra weight helped me drive through the ball a little better on the slice which created a lower ball; never had the 'floaters' I sometimes have with the RDX500

Groundstrokes: RDX500...again the lighter weight allowed me to have more options with groundstrokes; I was able to get the heavier topspin which my game depends on; the 002 felt more solid on groundstrokes but I definately had better results with the RDX500

Touch/Feel: 002...the 002 seemed like it offered a little better feel of where the ball was (on the stringbed) as well as better touch at net; this is a very solid racquet at net with an excellent combination of power, feel, and touch which led to some amazing volleys when I prepared early; the feel with the RDX is a little "disconnected" at times

Serves/Overheads: RDX500...I was simply able to get the racquet head moving faster on serves and overheads with the RDX which gave me more pop (especially later in matches when I couldn't get the 002 moving near as fast), more spin, and more control; the 002 offered some nice pop on serves but I tended to feel a little out of control due to the extra few ounces with this racquet

Manueverability: RDX500...lighter, lower swingweight, just easier to get around from all areas of the court; I had problems with big hitters when I was at net with the 002 (combination of the weight of the racquet and my laziness)

Volleys: 002...very very solid at net (as I mentioned above); the RDX500 needed a little more mass to feel as solid as the 002 and it didn't have the great touch/feel of the 002

Returns: RDX500...again the lighter feel of the RDX game me many more options on the return of serve; with the 002 I found myself blocking my forehand back more than I typically do with the RDX due to the weight, luckily the 002 is solid and powerful enough to make that return effective but I like having more options with the lighter racquet

Stability: 002...the extra weight just makes this a much more stable racquet than the RDX

Comfort: 002...again as with stability, the extra weight makes the 002 feel slightly more comfortable than the RDX

Overall: RDX500...for me the ability to get that extra topspin, have more options on my return, and getting more racquet head speed on serves/overheads makes the RDX500 a better choice. The 002 Tour is an excellent racquet (as is the lighter 002) and if I were still using heavier racquets (POG, RD7, F200, ProStaff 6.0) the 002 Tour would probably be my pick. But now that I've been using lighter racquets for a while (with very good results...especially in doubles--a game I've never felt comfortable with), it's tough to go back to the extra weight.

Hope some of this info helped.

TripleB

jwdickens1962
08-17-2007, 06:09 PM
What strings do you use with the RDX 500?

John(jwd030762@triad.rr.com)

Ripper
08-17-2007, 07:34 PM
It's difficult to go from lighter racquets to heavier ones. Getting your shots back into the correct timing can be hell. I know it took me a lot of time, when I went from the RDX500 MP to the RD-7. Sometimes, I feel tempted to go back to the easier swinging RDX500 MP, but resist the temptation, because I feel I'd lose the advantage of playing with a heavier racquet, I worked so hard to get. I mean, I've never played better. So, maybe, some day, but not now. I, still, would like to switch to a more modern racquet (with more power and directional control*) and what better choice is there for me than the RDS 002 Tour? Going from the RD-7 SL to the RDS 002 Tour SL should be pretty straightforward.

Edit: *I wouldn't mind a sweetspot that's a bit larger, too ;o)

TripleB
08-18-2007, 05:01 AM
What strings do you use with the RDX 500?

John(jwd030762@triad.rr.com)

Yonex 850 Feel...best all around string in my opinion.

TripleB