PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop Aerogel 300 16x18 vs Babolat Pure Storm Tour

Automatix
08-16-2007, 06:54 AM
Greetings and salutations! ;)

Well I am in quite of a predicamentÖ I was looking for a 98 sq. inch, 21mm, low-medium stiffness frame and found the racquets named in the topic fit almost like a glove that is Dunlop Aerogel 300 16x18 and Babolat Pure Storm Tour ( Iím also considering the 27,5 inch version ) but I canít decide which one to chooseÖ it wouldnít be a problem if I could demo both but I donít have such a possibility.

So some info about meÖ previously Iíve used Dunlop M-Fil 200 18x20 build up to 380g and the problem is I canít achieve as much rotation as Iíd wantÖ :-( when Iíve played with the eastern grip on the forehand and continental on the backhand, that is when I played relatively flat, it Was all okey but when you play mostly on clay, a ďno rotationĒ game isnít very effective so Iíve switched to a semi-western forehand and an eastern backhand and to my dislike I canít conjure up enough topspin etc. I have similar problems with my serve, when it comes to produce flat penetrating serves the M-Fil is perfect, pinpoint placement, stunning speed but when I try to really squeeze the ball in with lots of rotation the curve isnít really overwhelming. Someone might say that itís all in my head and that curve isnít all that bad, but it is! Even before the M-Fil 200 my weapon of choice was Dunlop Maxply McEnroe (build up to 350-355g) and the curve on the serve was phenomenal. Ohhh and btw Iíve tried some rotation friendly strings (e.g. Babolat Pro Hurricane, Kirschbaum Super Smash Spiky, I wanted to try Supex Blue Gear but it isnít available in my country) and it was much better but the spin enhancement didnít last too long while the string tension was still fine. What I like about my M-Filís is the control, when I have a clear position I just paint the linesÖI think thatís enough about meÖ ;)

Now Iíve read that Babolatís are a pain in the wrist elbow but according to TW this version is more flexible Iíd like a comment about thatÖ Iíd like the racquet to have a tad more power than my M-Filís, much more spin friendliness, as much control as I can get from a more open string patternÖ ohhh I now that there are similar racquets to these but I choose Babolat and Dunlop because all of the have trap door buttcaps and I love to modify my equipmentÖ so which racquet would be better for me? :)

That is all, THQ!!!

ksm
08-16-2007, 07:52 AM
Good thread. I am also looking for some feedback on the Aerogel 300 16*18 but there is hardly any available as it is not being sold in USA.

ksm

Serve em Up
08-16-2007, 08:07 AM
Did you look at Volkyl dnx9?

the Town Sherif
08-16-2007, 08:23 AM
go with the pure storm tour, i have the + version and am really enjoying it alot...it is more flexible than the pure control and the old pure storm, so you won't have arm problems, however, i never hand any arm or wrist problems with the older versions anyways, so i guess i'm not the best judge of that.

Automatix
08-16-2007, 08:50 AM
Did you look at Volkyl dnx9?

Yeah but the swingweight is soooo low on this frame, I like my racquets "hefty", M-Fil 200 18x20 according to TW have sw at about 337 and I still thought it should be modified so it was about 345-350 (I really enjoyed Head LM Prestige Mid) it's just my "craze" I would say :p

Speaking of Volkl I thought that their racquets had "normal" buttcaps... info on that please?

I never had any arm or wrist problems...

I also have yet to find out what this whole TE is ;) I've played with stiff frames (rated ~71) and never had wrist/elbow problems but I am still young and I workout so maybe that's why I am still TE free... but as I read about wrist and elbow problems of my fellow players I'm getting scared that this could happen to me someday, that's why I want to avoid it and not cure it when it occurs ;)

the Town Sherif <<< I was almost certain of buying Pure Storm Tour+ but so many players using PC/PC+ have elbow and wrist problems that I chickened out and came here with my doubts... :-)

soggyramen
08-16-2007, 04:06 PM
go pure storm all the way...the tour swings light despite the recorded sw. it has more power than most control racquets but you have to provide a big swing to get there. it's very flexy and i've had no arm problems with this racquet. there's also great feel for volleys as well, in my opinion the best racquet babolat has made by far

Automatix
08-17-2007, 03:08 AM
... in my opinion the best racquet babolat has made by far

Looking at the specs I thought the very same thing but you now that there are racquets which look great on paper but when you test them on the court you only get disapointed... when the PC came out I thought about purchasing it but the stiffness drove me away... btw I've read all your posts about PST the only thing I was missing was the comparison with the Aerogel 300 16x18 but I think nobody can compare these two racqets quite yet because the majority of users here are from the U.S.A. and this model isn't available there, so that mostly leaves users from Europe but the Aerogel 300 16x18 and PST are (especialy the Babolat) new so not many players tested them... all well if anyone else has any info about those models please write :grin:

0d1n
08-17-2007, 04:22 AM
Yeah but the swingweight is soooo low on this frame, I like my racquets "hefty", M-Fil 200 18x20 according to TW have sw at about 337 and I still thought it should be modified so it was about 345-350 (I really enjoyed Head LM Prestige Mid) it's just my "craze" I would say :p

Speaking of Volkl I thought that their racquets had "normal" buttcaps... info on that please?

If you like hefty rackets, then aerogel 300 isn't for you really...even the 16x18 version (which is the only one I tried) is still light and swings like a feather...it will be faaaaaaaaaaaaar away from your m-fil in the perceived heft/sw of the frame. IMO...the SW isn't higher (maybe even lower) than 315 on that frame, so if you consider the volkl to be swinging WAY too light, I'm afraid you will find the same applies to the AG 300 16x18. I haven't played with the dnx9 so I can't compare directly but I can assure you the sw of the 16x18 aerogel 300 is LOW !

Automatix
08-17-2007, 04:41 AM
Well I know that the swingweight of the AG 300 16x18 is low (because the standard 300's low too), but Dunlops have trap doors and thanks to that it's really easy to modify... lead at 3&9 and counter weight in the handle but if I chose Voelkl I'd have a lot of work with adding weight in the handle, that's why I want to buy a Babolat or Dunlop cause all of them have trap door buttcap's... but thx 0d1n, also I have a question, how would you rate the control of the D300 16x18?

biggsy
08-17-2007, 05:40 AM
I have tried them both
straight answer
The 300

pmata814
08-17-2007, 06:19 AM
I recently demoed the Pure Storm Tour and I loved it. If you like hefty frames I think you will really like this one. I'm currently trying to sell my Pure Storm Team in order to buy this one.

I don't have the Aerogel 300 but if it's anything like the M-fil 300 then I wouldn't recommend it. It's a very good racquet but it is very light (same as the PST). You would have to add a lot of lead in order to get the "heft" you're looking for.

ksm
08-19-2007, 02:18 AM
I have tried them both
straight answer
The 300

Have you played with the Aerogel 300 16*18? If yes, please give some inputs on how this racquet plays in terms of maneuverability, control, serves, topspin, stability, etc..

Thanks.

ksm

0d1n
08-19-2007, 03:26 AM
Well I know that the swingweight of the AG 300 16x18 is low (because the standard 300's low too), but Dunlops have trap doors and thanks to that it's really easy to modify... lead at 3&9 and counter weight in the handle but if I chose Voelkl I'd have a lot of work with adding weight in the handle, that's why I want to buy a Babolat or Dunlop cause all of them have trap door buttcap's... but thx 0d1n, also I have a question, how would you rate the control of the D300 16x18?

I only used it once, for a few games, with the "default" factory string job. The control was just "OK" it seemed to me like the string bed wasn't the most consistent...it seemed to have some "hot spots" that would just launch the ball. Like I said, it might have been the string job.

Automatix
08-19-2007, 03:46 AM
Okey thx for the info, I think I'll go with the Babolat Pure Storm Tour+ it seems to be the best choice... ;)

PBODY99
08-19-2007, 04:16 AM
What grip size do you use? I've notice that players who are trying to achieve more spin benefit from going down in grip size.

VikingSamurai
08-19-2007, 04:21 AM
Okey thx for the info, I think I'll go with the Babolat Pure Storm Tour+ it seems to be the best choice... ;)

No it's not..

Babolats are like Paris Hilton.. Here today. gone tomorrow.. Cool and fun to look at for a while, but when you realize there is no substance, it becomes a little old..

Babs are also like Yonex's, that are like little dogs to celebrities.. Everyone has to have one.. But do you really need it, just because it's the "in" thing? ;-)

Dunlop/Slazenger have been around since tennis began.. I think they would know a little more about making racquets than Babolat.. If you are so insistant on a French racquet, then go find yourself an old Rossignol.. But dont waste your money on a Crapolat!

Automatix
08-19-2007, 05:47 AM
Well my Dunlop grip size is L3 that is 4 3/8... with the same grip size I could really spin the ball with my Dunlop Maxply McEnroe...

Chris by the specs the Pure Storm Tour looks reallyyy nice... and besides believe it or not the main distributor of Dunlop equipment in Poland doesn't even have grommet replacement sets!!! Poland is not like the U.S.A., the distributors don't provide classics like Pro Staffs, C10 Pro, POGís etc.

If you're so smart recommend me a 98 sq. inch, 27-27,5 inch, 21mm straight beam racquet, with decent swingweight (above 320) AND a trap door buttcap so I can easily tamper with the specs...

VikingSamurai
08-19-2007, 05:56 AM
Well I am assuming you are in Poland.. And considering the fact that you are posting on this board would suggest you have ineternet.. Its the modern world dude. If you cant get Dunlop Grommits in Poland. Then order the damn things like everyone else that posts on here.. I have lived here in Japan for 6 years, and I have never even bought a new racquet here.. No need to with the internet. Plus I save money as prices here are expensive..

Automatix
08-19-2007, 06:11 AM
Eeee... you know relatively I would pay more for the transport than the grommet sets... you actually think I didn't thought of that? But the costs... jeez! I would have to buy a lot of those grommet's for this to pay off you know... I'm sure when I'm up against the wall I'll probably order some from TW... ohhh and by the way the shiping costs are nothing compared to the taxes I'd have to pay... I think it comes to about 30% of the price of a racquet... I don't know and can't seem to find out how much is for grommets... :D

SHUNGO
08-19-2007, 06:14 AM
Hey automatix go with the babolat Pure Storm Tour if you like the extra weight or Team if a little more maneuverability is desired, I have this last one, is a great racquet, no wrist or arm pain, is like it says a great blend of power and control.

Do not listen to this chris japanese or whatever, he is a negativist and hate sick against Babolat or any other, exept of course his brand, that if he knows how to play Tennis btw.....:grin:

VikingSamurai
08-19-2007, 06:28 AM
Well I dont exactly have a favourite brand.. Owned Princes, Wilsons, and now Dunlops in the last year..

Not a big fan of Babolats you are correct.. But then again, I was never one to just go for something because everyone else used them or they were cool...

If you dont think I can play tennis, then I am certainly happy to hear what ranking in the world you are at?..

I made my point, and if he wishes to ignore it, then thats fine. But I have just as much right to say something against Babolat than the people who say good things about it dont you think?

VikingSamurai
08-19-2007, 06:29 AM
Do not listen to this chris japanese or whatever, he is a negativist and hate sick against Babolat or any other, exept of course his brand, that if he knows how to play Tennis btw.....:grin:

You mistake me for Deuce.. Now that guy really is an arse...;)

Automatix
08-19-2007, 06:30 AM
Stop it you guys! I never said I was buying this frame because so many people play with Babolats, I'm not that kind of a guy ;)

But as I wrote... the Babolat fits my expectations... so what to do? You understand Chris? :)

Automatix
08-19-2007, 06:32 AM
By the way could you tell me this... if I'm a L3 (4 3/8) Dunlop grip size, than would I be 4 1/2 Head grip size, and 4 1/4 Babolat grip size???

ksm
08-20-2007, 12:33 AM
I have tried them both
straight answer
The 300

Have you played with the Aerogel 300 16*18? If yes, please give some inputs on how this racquet plays in terms of maneuverability, control, serves, topspin, stability, etc..

Thanks.

ksm

choth21
08-26-2007, 08:31 PM
I've tried both too. I've used Dunlop ever since I was little, but I had been wanting to try Babolat for a while because I never hit with one before. I had the opportunity when I cracked my old 300G.

Overall, I liked both, but really like the AG 300 better. One caveat: I put a lot of lead tape on the Aerogel at 2 and 10 o'clock positions. I'm not sure how much I add, but I'd say I add about 8-9 grams to my racquets (I use 3 strips at each position that are about 2 1/2 inches). I found that the Aerogel really needed it because it feels pretty light and almost flimsy when hitting groundies. Volleys were easy due to the light weight, but I couldn't get the same type of drive that I usually do without adding more weight.

After adding weight though, the Dunlop was perfect. My shots feel nice and crisp. I can get plenty of spin, and it's got a nice generous sweet spot.

The Babolat wasn't bad, but it just felt a little too stiff. It's a solid racquet, and I had a hard time decided. I just thought the Babolat felt a little "dead" and my shots didn't feel as solid.

Automatix
08-27-2007, 01:55 AM
The Babolat wasn't bad, but it just felt a little too stiff. It's a solid racquet, and I had a hard time decided. I just thought the Babolat felt a little "dead" and my shots didn't feel as solid.

I know what you mean, I couldn't get a demo but I finally managed to borrow a PST and boy am I happy I did demo... the PST in my opinion the PST is more of a low-medium power frame, and the flex is more around 65 annd that's just a tad too stiff for me... and I think I'm a more traditional feel guy because I do agree that the PST has more feel&touch than the PD's but not enough for my liking... sorry Babolat, a good frame with modern feel but not for this player ;)