PDA

View Full Version : Midsize frames easier to square up?

Thomas Bird-Itch
08-16-2007, 07:25 AM
when i larger headed racquets it feels like i'm fighting to get the head square at contact. is that common?

bad_call
08-16-2007, 08:01 AM
when i larger headed racquets it feels like i'm fighting to get the head square at contact. is that common?

i think it depends on the individual racquet. coming from a mid, i used to feel that way. however having tried a few MPs, i didn't always experience that. then again it depends on your playing style.

tennis_hand
08-16-2007, 08:22 AM
what "square up"?

Thomas Bird-Itch
08-16-2007, 08:30 AM
what "square up"?

to get the racquet face to a certain angle/position at contact; ie - slightly closed for topspin, perpendicular to the court, etc.

Keifers
08-16-2007, 09:14 AM
I definitely find mids easier to maneuver than oversize sticks, especially when they're thin-beamed. (Most are, of course, but a 17 or 18mm is noticeably easier than, say, a 20 or 21mm frame.)

A 90", 18mm racquet can feel positively scalpel-like, and the 85", 17mm PS 85 is the ultimate. (That 85" head takes a lot of concentration to hit well with, though!)

snoflewis
08-16-2007, 10:47 AM
I definitely find mids easier to maneuver than oversize sticks, especially when they're thin-beamed. (Most are, of course, but a 17 or 18mm is noticeably easier than, say, a 20 or 21mm frame.)

A 90", 18mm racquet can feel positively scalpel-like, and the 85", 17mm PS 85 is the ultimate. (That 85" head takes a lot of concentration to hit well with, though!)

yea...that sums it up. when i compare midsize rackets w/ midplus rackets...even though they are the exact same specs...the midsize racket seems to be more manueverable than the midplus.

BreakPoint
08-16-2007, 10:53 AM
yea...that sums it up. when i compare midsize rackets w/ midplus rackets...even though they are the exact same specs...the midsize racket seems to be more manueverable than the midplus.
Agree 100%! :D

It's so much easier for me to manipulate the angle of the head of a Mid than a bigger racquet, all else being equal.

Thomas Bird-Itch
08-16-2007, 11:34 AM
A few more questions...

Are mids easier to manipulate because of weight distribution - larger heads having more weight further from the center? air resistance? or something else?

If it's b/c of weight distribution, wouldn't midsized heads be torqued more (twisted in hand) when the ball is struck the same distance away from the center? Is that necessarily a bad thing?

NoBadMojo
08-16-2007, 12:14 PM

Mid sized frames are usually harder to square up not easier as midsized frames are usually heavier and have higher swingweights than other racquets

Thomas Bird-Itch
08-16-2007, 01:14 PM
Mid sized frames are usually harder to square up not easier as midsized frames are usually heavier and have higher swingweights than other racquets

I'm speaking of frames which have the same weight/balance/SW. I understand what you mean though b/c that's usually the case.

NoBadMojo
08-16-2007, 03:50 PM
I'm speaking of frames which have the same weight/balance/SW. I understand what you mean though b/c that's usually the case.

Given frames of the same swingweight and balance, the difference in squaring up a frame at impact would be miniscule between a mid, MP, or OS racquet. The balance would <possibly> affect that, but not the headsize and perhaps some people are confusing the fact they seem to be able to square up a midsized better because mid sized frames are almost always balanced pretty headlight. so in that case it would be a function of the balance and not the headsize. the beam width has absolutely zero to do with it.

Keifers
08-16-2007, 04:15 PM
A few more questions...

Are mids easier to manipulate because of weight distribution - larger heads having more weight further from the center? air resistance? or something else?
I would say yes to both. A mid is easier to twist about its longitudinal axis because its hoop has less mass overall and the mass is closer to the center. And it has less air resistance because the hoop is smaller -- and even less air resistance if the beam is very thin.

If it's b/c of weight distribution, wouldn't midsized heads be torqued more (twisted in hand) when the ball is struck the same distance away from the center? Is that necessarily a bad thing?
On an off-center impact, yes, the mid will twist more because the smaller head offers less resistance to twist. This does mean that the "sweet area" of the mid is smaller.

snoflewis
08-16-2007, 04:24 PM
Agree 100%! :D

It's so much easier for me to manipulate the angle of the head of a Mid than a bigger racquet, all else being equal.

for me...even the SW feels lower....especially on those heavier frames like the k90 and lm prestige mid

tennis_hand
08-16-2007, 07:48 PM
You can solve this issue with some lead tape at 3/9 to stabilize the head. once your head, i mean racket head ;), doesn't twist at contact, you'll achieve more spin.

EliteNinja
08-16-2007, 08:21 PM
I dunno, but Yonex mids are easy to "square" up ;)

:p

bad_call
08-16-2007, 08:47 PM
Given frames of the same swingweight and balance, the difference in squaring up a frame at impact would be miniscule between a mid, MP, or OS racquet. The balance would <possibly> affect that, but not the headsize and perhaps some people are confusing the fact they seem to be able to square up a midsized better because mid sized frames are almost always balanced pretty headlight. so in that case it would be a function of the balance and not the headsize. the beam width has absolutely zero to do with it.

the headlight part is a good point...in agreement here.

Ethan
08-16-2007, 08:56 PM
a racquet wif a smaller head size has more control then oversize ones, i own an oversized racquet and when i borrowed my friends racquet wif a smaller head size it had much better control and the power was about the same too

Thomas Bird-Itch
08-17-2007, 07:00 AM
I think I'm just looking for excuses for my technique. :roll: Probably the extra control I get from mid frames cancels out any "squaring up" problems I'm imagining. I've needed to work on my forehand anyway b/c my elbow is flying a little (lowering consistency) and a slightly more powerful frame is just making it more noticeable.

Compared to golf... A bigger head won't always hit farther down the fairway, but it can increase the odds of hitting farther out of bounds!

Michelangelo
08-17-2007, 10:26 AM

Same here!

Rabbit
08-17-2007, 10:30 AM
I would say yes to both. A mid is easier to twist about its longitudinal axis because its hoop has less mass overall and the mass is closer to the center. And it has less air resistance because the hoop is smaller -- and even less air resistance if the beam is very thin.

On an off-center impact, yes, the mid will twist more because the smaller head offers less resistance to twist. This does mean that the "sweet area" of the mid is smaller.

This is really close to what I read in the book "The Physics of Tennis". In it, they say that the more distance between the hand and the hitting surface, the more manueverability there is. My experience bears this out as well.