PDA

View Full Version : please advice for my serve

godprint
08-16-2007, 08:17 AM
please advice. i think i need alot of help.

i do not have a coach. all self taught.

thanks alot.

<url>http://www.youtube.com/v/dRjgWRna3a8</url>

godprint
08-16-2007, 08:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRjgWRna3a8

WBF
08-16-2007, 08:35 AM
Notice how you aren't making contact at a very high height. This will put extraordinary limits on your consistency+power. As for the motion... I'll let the weird technical people describe anything you could do to help it :p

mark rodgers
08-16-2007, 08:48 AM
Save yourself a lot of grief. Join hi-techtennis dot com. It has a good serve instruction section and some slow motion video.

godprint
08-16-2007, 05:47 PM
lol... any more advice? thanks for the 2 comments.

what can i do to improve, as u can see, i don't reside in the states...

koopa_troopa
08-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Looks fairly good. You might want to lean more into the court. I also like to use my back leg with the thrust. It looks like your rear leg is just getting pulled by your body rather than powering your serve.

kungfusmkim
08-16-2007, 07:02 PM
dont lift the back leg up!!! never ever do that. That takes away all the accuracy and the power of the serve. pros only do that because they jump in to their serve like sharapova. but dont do that when you have an open service stance like that and your lifing your back leg up looks very wierd and loses accuracy and tons of power. thats why you miss alot of serves even if you do the same thing as a serve that went in. becuase of that back leg lifting up you make last minute angle adjustment on your racquet. and if its a habit then bring your legs together like sharapovas right after you serve.

godprint
08-16-2007, 08:21 PM
dont lift the back leg up!!! never ever do that. That takes away all the accuracy and the power of the serve. pros only do that because they jump in to their serve like sharapova. but dont do that when you have an open service stance like that and your lifing your back leg up looks very wierd and loses accuracy and tons of power. thats why you miss alot of serves even if you do the same thing as a serve that went in. becuase of that back leg lifting up you make last minute angle adjustment on your racquet. and if its a habit then bring your legs together like sharapovas right after you serve.

how do i see i haf an open stance? i tot i had it closed... mmmm pls advice! i will try not to lift that back leg... but do u mean after i hit the ball, i should try to keep that leg down?

Solat
08-16-2007, 09:43 PM
the only major problem with your serve is a lack of reach up to the ball, this should be initiated by shoulder rotation and elbow lift which is also lacking, so they all tie in together really

azndude32
08-16-2007, 10:38 PM
Save yourself a lot of grief. Join hi-techtennis dot com. It has a good serve instruction section and some slow motion video.

yea hi-techtennis is real good instructional website
i've learned quite a lot from it

and yea ur serve is ok, you need a higher contact point, lean into the court more, and maybe hold ur arm up after ur toss a little longer

godprint
08-16-2007, 11:05 PM
ok thanks alto guys... will try it out tonight. and repost video.

please keep the advice coming in... i really want to improve!

i'm already 24 this year...sigh...

knasty131
08-17-2007, 01:06 AM
i would say start with catching it higher and then work from there...thats all

Mountain Ghost
08-17-2007, 12:38 PM
Your racquet head is trailing too much throughout the take-back, it doesn’t get back soon enough and it never reaches a truly dropped position. This is making you late on every serve and preventing you from being able to hit up. If you initially didn’t lead with the handle so much on the backswing, and opened up the racquet face a bit sooner, you could get your racquet head fully back and DOWN and then reach the contact point before the ball drops so low, which is currently your biggest problem. Your toss is plenty high enough, but your preparation is so slow and inefficient that by the time the racquet head gets there the ball has already dropped too far.

Also, turn your shoulders more sideways on your initial stance and don’t open up your shoulders so soon during the stroke itself. It’s forcing your elbow to come around your shoulder (instead of up and over), which is another reason you are not able to hit up. For now I would practice tossing over your head, and not into the court, until you are practiced at staying closed longer and hitting up on the ball. Watch your balance . . . use a more "planted" platform stance if you need to.

Basically, there are flaws, but at least you are relatively consistent with them, so once it gets better, you should have a high percentage serve.

MG

skiracer55
08-17-2007, 01:06 PM
i would say start with catching it higher and then work from there...thats all

...in general, your serve is too complex. There's way too much going on. The racket tip should lead the body, not the other way around, whcih is what you're doing. Because of that, you don't have a serve, you have about 7 different serves...which means that once in a while, you'll hit a rocket, the rest of the time, the net or the back fence. One way to learn a serve is to learn the overhead first. Principles on the overhead are:

(1) Get sideon to the net...unless the thing is way over your head, in which case, run straight back, looking over your shoulder until you can stop, get side on, and line up the ball.

(2) non-racket hand up, pointing to the ball, racket tip up in the air. A lot of people let the racket drop down behind the back right away. Keep the racket head up until just before you want to contact the ball, then drop the racket head behind your back, snap up and through and out on the ball (NOT down). A way to practice that motion is to first just, with your racket hand, throw a bunch of balls up to the sky on about a 45 degree angle with the ground. Next, toss one ball up with your toss hand, throw the ball with your racket hand, try to hit the tossed ball.

(3) Next, to get the feel of the snap, racket up, let the racket head drop down behind your back, toss just high enough to contact the ball, try to snap it up through and out, then down into the court and bounce it over the fence. This'll give you the feel of the wrist snap.

(4) Go back to hitting overheads, and now really focus on where you contact the ball. It ought to be about where you contact the ball for a kick second serve, which is right over your head. Really try to concentrate on hitting up through the ball and out, finish with the snap, drive the ball into the court.

Now go do the same thing on your serve, which should be a piece of cake, because somebody else isn't tossing the ball, you are...

godprint
08-18-2007, 10:39 AM
thanks peeps! i will take all these advice...and try again on the coming monday and upload again. hopefully i can change! really great having all of u to advice!!! thanks!!!