PDA

View Full Version : Adult Male Beginner Racquet

River Hill
08-16-2007, 09:43 AM
I purchased a Head Liquid Metal OS, and I just started hitting it around the other day. I have also been reading up on this racquet and I saw mentioned in the TW Store, that this racquet is for 4.5 level and above. I also had a guy at the court tell me he thinks the racquet maybe too advance and heavy for a beginner. I want to get your guys thoughts as I can still return the racquet. I am 5'11 and weigh 195#

samprasbackhand
08-16-2007, 09:47 AM
If you like the racket, you might as well keep it. But with your body frame, it should be a good racket, if it doesn't feel heavy.

Flyingpanda
08-16-2007, 03:38 PM
How well are you using? Does it feel good when you hit? Are you getting mishits with it? If it's fine, then just stick with it. If not um Pure Drive Roddick, Prince Hybrid Hornet, Yonex RDS003 are pretty good choices.

Rafa freak
08-16-2007, 03:55 PM
What model is it.

netman
08-16-2007, 04:43 PM
Its a good racquet and actually more forgiving than the typical heavy frame due to the OS head. If you like it, you'll do fine with it. If you want to try something lighter, the TW closeout section has a number of racquets that were TOTL (top of the line) last season or the season before that at ridiculously low prices. You can also pick up nice used frames from the good folks on the TW discussion boards.

As a beginner, you should worry more about learning proper technique and spending your money on good lessons, than the racquet in your hand.

-k-

Steve H.
08-16-2007, 05:37 PM
It sounds as though you got a LM Radical, right? If so, that's a perfectly good frame for a beginner, it's a very solid design, forgiving, and not too heavy -- it does have relatively high swingweight, but for a guy of your size that shouldn't be a huge problem, and may actually make it easier to learn. Not sure why TW rates it for 4.5 players, although many advanced players do use both the MP and OS versions.

River Hill
08-17-2007, 03:59 AM
Thanks for the great feedback and yes it is a Radical. Sorry I left that out.

origmarm
08-17-2007, 04:10 AM
Personally I think you are fine. The nice thing about the LM Radicals is they seem to be one of those racquets thats ok to use for a beginner (i.e. many beginners find them ok in my experience) and yet they are ok for a more advanced player also. I have 2 and have added a lot of lead to them but otherwise they are fine.

Bottom line, if you like it then you should be fine. Many other beginners I have seen use this have found it good and it has lasted them through the "improver" stage