PDA

View Full Version : DHBH grip

ps60
08-16-2007, 09:44 AM
i've tried to change to DHBH or at least add it to my toolbox. For yrs with no success.

Lately i use my left hand to play because of right hand wrist injury and serious elbow pain (which is always there anyway). I found that putting the right hand up above the top of the grip can make a DHBH very stable, and the wrist feels less pull, although the shots are not as powerful and with a shorter reach.

I tried it on the other side, it works too. we also see some players like the one beating Roger two times after a penalty period (forgot his name, the Argentinian) and the Belgium player using Prince Diablo using similar DH grips.

Would it be more widely adopted in the future ?

In D Zone
08-16-2007, 08:35 PM
There have been numerous players in the pro ranked today that plays with Double Handed on both sides.

Here are some of the name....
Bartoli, Seles, Santoro, Shuai, Nakamura, Sluiter, Yi, Khulman, Morigami, Mayer.... and more

To find out more about playing Double handed - clik on the link

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=145778

Gmedlo
08-16-2007, 08:40 PM
In D Zone, I think he's talking about the hockey/"samurai" grip... not a 2h forehand.

I find it most useful at the net when my opponent is trying to pass me very hard; helps get a ton of stability and some extra pop (compared to my 1h backhand volley against a hard hit ball).

ps60
08-17-2007, 08:25 AM
Gmedlo

U got what i meant.

i did that when hit hard right into the body volley too. But u just grap yr hand on it and do whatever u can in that situation.

I do however, use it mostly on the BH of leftie play (i am a rightie). It provides so much stability and with a big step forward everytime, i can block and direct fast balls very efficiently (like return serve). and Xcourt shot on the run.
Lot of fun but timing is important 'cos the stroke is much shorter than usual ground strokes, very much like a longer volley.

In D Zone
08-17-2007, 08:49 AM
Very interesting...

Hey - if it works and you are having great success with it - I'd say go for it. I have taught my son to volley on their left using 2 bh strokes as well - an it worked!
I played a guy who is atleast 5.0 a couple of days ago who plays 2bh, but he placed his left hand (non dominant hand) on the throat; above the grip of the racquet. Later I found out that he studied at Bollettieri Academy is his teenage years. He is in his late 30's or early 40's, but man that guy is machine.

I played using weird shots as well - like blocking a ball coming towards the right side of my body using a back hand slice. It actually creates a side spin on the ball and bounces. Hey it works... LOL!

J011yroger
08-18-2007, 04:08 PM
Yea I hit like that when going for winners or hurt shots from inside the court, to flatten out a ball and place it on a dime. And from behind the baseline I bunch both hands down at the bottom of the grip to get more whip on the ball and hit deeper topspin.

J

ps60
08-22-2007, 09:01 AM
... to place it on a dime. And from behind the baseline I bunch both hands down at the bottom of the grip to get more whip on the ball and hit deeper topspin.
J

That's it. i found it has much more control and less power. The shot is like a volley (in terms of speed and power) but have a much lower scale of error in terms of direction and depth than ordinary DHBH.

J011yroger
08-22-2007, 05:30 PM
That's it. i found it has much more control and less power. The shot is like a volley (in terms of speed and power) but have a much lower scale of error in terms of direction and depth than ordinary DHBH.

As you practice it more you will get more pop on it as you learn to put your body weight into it. It is more of a linear shot than the normal two hander which is more of a rotational shot.

I can hit it pretty hard but it is different from hitting a heavy topspin two hander hard.

J

ps60
09-11-2007, 10:48 AM
Thanks, J

i feel the same

J011yroger
09-11-2007, 02:12 PM
Have you gotten more sting on it as you have played it more?

I use the shot as more of a knife hidden in my shoe, than a primary weapon, and find it highly effective in such a role.

J

ps60
09-12-2007, 04:52 AM
timing is important, because it is like a volley. The stroke itself is relatively short. Once Off timing, the shot is very very weak.

Today it is acceptable. Just not much spin, too hard hit will get out, also lack of depth control.

but i ain't too concerned as i am playing with my left hand. The FH is what i am working on primarily.