View Full Version : Sampras could teach Roddick how to volley

laurie
08-16-2007, 10:02 AM
Check out these lovely sequence of volleys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m3NNLQbh8c

It was a great match by the way, I put 14 clips on Youtube. 2000 Miami final

anointedone
08-16-2007, 10:03 AM
Roddick has no natural ability or instinct how to volley at all. Nobody could teach him how to volley particularly well at this stage in his career, maybe if he was trained by the right person when he was alot younger. Some things are just not possible.

anointedone
08-16-2007, 10:05 AM
I am trying to watch it now, but the streaming is getting stuck at 8 seconds. Hopefully that is just my computer doing that.

babolatpdtp
08-16-2007, 11:04 AM
Roddick can get better at volleying, but he'll never be great. It needs to have been obtained at a young age (muscle memory). As for Sampras teaching Roddick, Sampras doesn't have much respect for him trying. I've read an interview of Sampras in which he talks about the potential rivalry between Roddick and Federer. He said Roddick really would never be able to beat out Federer because other than his serve, he has nothing. He said that he will never be a decent volleyer.

Richie Rich
08-16-2007, 11:05 AM
never mind sampras, a monkey could teach roddick to volley better than he does now

Challenger
08-16-2007, 11:25 AM
Roddick never had great hands to start with, and it's quite hard to teach that. One thing he can continue to try working on is when to move in, and committing more when he chooses to. His movement up to the net is pretty awkward and clumsy...if he can work that out, that'll be half the problem.

laurie
08-16-2007, 01:37 PM
I am trying to watch it now, but the streaming is getting stuck at 8 seconds. Hopefully that is just my computer doing that.

Should show fine, try again.

anointedone
08-16-2007, 01:39 PM
Should show fine, try again.

OK I tried again and it works now. Thanks.