PDA

View Full Version : Federer says he may not get a coach at all

anointedone
08-16-2007, 11:08 AM
I am sure many of the Federer skeptics will not be impressed with this news but here it is:

http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AklDUCpSJmCX58iBm5LFAK04v7YF?slug=afp-tennisatpusasuifederer&prov=afp&type=lgns

Federer not worried about lack of tennis coach in Slam win quest

CINCINNATI, United States (AFP) - Methodical Roger Federer is considering whether he even wants to bother with finding a coach.

Since parting with Tony Roche this spring, the world number one from Switzerland has continued at his usual high-standard pace, lifting is fifth straight Wimbledon unaided along the way.

But as he prepares for the US Open at this week's ATP Cincinnati Masters, the Swiss admits he's giving careful contemplation to his particular situation.

"Do I want a coach? If so, do I want a guy to pick up balls or someone to travel with me all the time?" said the top seed on Tuesday. "I started thinking a bit after Wimbledon.

"I need to consider what I want and what I need."

The 26-year-old self-starter has proved that he can go it alone, assisted by girlfriend Mirka, a former pro on the WTA.

"I'm not sure about it at all. I'm very happy on my own," he admitted. "If I get a coach it has to be the right guy.

"I'm world number one and I don't want to take chances. Everything I decide has to be thought out. I have to take all of my decisions wisely and slowly."

Federer said that he may or may not have any answers by January.

"Maybe then, the Australian Open, I'll know something - or maybe not," he said.

Federer hopes to manage his career so that he can play until 35 if he wants, giving the 11-time Grand Slam champion nearly another decade to chase the all-time Grand Slam win record of 14 owned by Pete Sampras.

"I admire the way that (Andre) Agasssi played through three tennis generations," Federer said. "I know I want to play the 2012 London Olympics, when I will almost 31."

psamp14
08-16-2007, 11:42 AM
i read this last night and was a little surprised by the sense of how he thinks he doesnt need a coach, but he has obvious reasons to think so..

he's world #1 since 2004 and is shattering records left and right....right now he doesnt really need a coach because of how mentally strong he is and how he performs so well in the 2nd half of the season....

as said he might look into it more at around the time of the 2008 AO...obvious reasons there...clay court season..

anointedone
08-16-2007, 11:44 AM
I think his tennis is stagnating and he does need a coach personally. He comes across as quite a stubborn individual at times. His horrible "game plan" when he plays Nadal on clay is only testement to that further.

bluescreen
08-16-2007, 11:47 AM
he has a bad game plan against ONE player so his game is going stagnant? give me a break. what other player(s) has a good game plan against nadal on clay? none. does that mean they all need new coaches? no. if there's one player on tour that does not need a coach, its roger. and he beat nadal on clay this year. i dont think its his game plan thats lacking, but rather his mental state. he's won slams without a coach; i dont think he needs one now.

anointedone
08-16-2007, 11:48 AM
he has a bad game plan against ONE player so his game is going stagnant? give me a break. if there's one player on tour that does not need a coach, its roger. and he beat nadal on clay this year. i dont think its his game plan thats lacking, but rather his mental state. he's won slams without a coach; i dont think he needs one now.

I think his game has become stagnant in general when I watch him play now, and in addition to that I was pointing out he was stubborn as evidenced by things like his stubborn approach to playing Nadal on clay. They were meant as two seperate comments, not neccessarily joint.

bluescreen
08-16-2007, 11:53 AM
i dont think his game's gone stagnant at all. he's posted comparable results for the past few years and, imo, competition is getting tougher now, so an extra loss here or there is acceptable. i mean, he's got what, 6 losses this year? thats not what i'd call stagnant.

and i think roger's tried many different game plans against nadal and dont find him stubborn in a bad way. there's no secret game plan that is an automatic win against nadal on clay. he's good enough that even with a good game plan, a win isnt a sure thing. there's no game plan that will give roger an obvious advantage against nadal, at least not one a coach can give him. no other player is better prepared against nadal on clay, so i think roger's one win at hamburg is pretty good.

Tsunami
08-16-2007, 11:23 PM
I think his game has become stagnant in general when I watch him play now, and in addition to that I was pointing out he was stubborn as evidenced by things like his stubborn approach to playing Nadal on clay. They were meant as two seperate comments, not neccessarily joint.

It's clear to everybody that he's not at his best level right now... Although I agree that his "game plan" is sometimes difficult to follow / understand, you can look at it from another angle and ask yourself who else has beaten Nadal on clay recently ? His head to head record against Nadal went from 1-6 to 5-8 (4-2 in Federer's favour in their last 6 matches)

But I also agree he should get a coach... But IMO there is only one guy who could "help" him, and that's Darren Cahill

joebicko
08-16-2007, 11:30 PM
Rog is the best ever.Why would he hire a coach?What is he gonna learn?
I bet by the end of 2009, he is going to break Sampras record!!
Not sure about French, but the rest of Grand Slams, he just feels like it is his neighbourhood! Who is going to challenge him? Djoker and Rafa? Not a chance! The best tennis is played after 25..So he is in his prime right now!!!
Just like Sampras did!!

gerikoh
08-16-2007, 11:39 PM
he's the world number one.. but i sure hope that this doesn't affect him

anointedone
08-17-2007, 07:12 AM
The funniest part is where it say gives him nearly another decade, as if the writer is expecting him to still be chasing 14+ slams nearly a decade from now.

Hobomagic
08-17-2007, 10:45 PM
Anyone else think he sounds aalot more smug nowadays?

tennispro11
08-17-2007, 10:55 PM
The funniest part is where it say gives him nearly another decade, as if the writer is expecting him to still be chasing 14+ slams nearly a decade from now.

Your an idiot. Federer is still awesome. Hence the reason he is still in Cincy. While the # 2,3,4 seeds are out. Does that say anything?

Mick
08-17-2007, 11:06 PM
Federer is playing at a level too high for any coach to coach. I don't think his last coach helped him anything technically because even at his prime, Roche was never as good as Federer is. They worked on strategies but Federer probably knows all the strategies there are for playing against different types of player by now. Thus, I agree with Federer's decision on not getting a coach.

tennispro11
08-17-2007, 11:15 PM
Federer is playing at a level too high for any coach to coach. I don't think his last coach helped him anything technically because even at his prime, Roche was never as good as Federer is. They worked on strategies but Federer probably knows all the strategies there are for playing against different types of player by now. Thus, I agree with Federer's decision on not getting a coach.

Well said. :)

princess bossass
08-18-2007, 11:31 AM
I don't think Federer necessarily needs coaching on technique, but tactics--yes. He's stubborn. Watching him repeatedly dink (okay, "dink" is probably the wrong word here) backhands into Nadal's forehand made me want to scream.

NamRanger
08-18-2007, 12:47 PM
I don't think Federer necessarily needs coaching on technique, but tactics--yes. He's stubborn. Watching him repeatedly dink (okay, "dink" is probably the wrong word here) backhands into Nadal's forehand made me want to scream.

More like he rolled them back into the court allowing Nadal to take control.

J-man
08-18-2007, 01:10 PM
He can do it alone. He is a very smart player and can take all the information he has collected over the years from very good coaches. So he knows what he has to do as a tennis player. But it doesn't hurt at all to have a second pair of eyes to help guide you.

princess bossass
08-18-2007, 01:58 PM
More like he rolled them back into the court allowing Nadal to take control.

Thank you. ;)

Challenger
08-18-2007, 02:03 PM
He seems to be fine on his own, but as many have already mentioned, having an outside opinion can be helpful at times. He could use another part-time coach, someone to give him advice or another perspective when he's standing too close to the picture. More like someone to consult with, but not necessarily rely on for training and strategy.

At this point, he seems to be one of the great tennis minds in the game right now. I doubt a full-time coach would be necessary...or even capable of keeping up with Federer.