PDA

View Full Version : Isner and Young - Wildcards US Open

Ambivalent
08-16-2007, 11:09 AM
How do you think they're going to do? Personally i think Young is going to get crushed in his first match while Isner might pull off a few upsets again.

Dimonator133
08-16-2007, 11:24 AM
http://www.protennisblog.com/3.html

those are my predictions (Isner chance for a few wins, Young will lose 0-0-0)

atatu
08-16-2007, 11:27 AM

I don't think you can expect anyone to take you seriously if you don't think Young can get a game, maybe you don't care, but it certainly doesn't make me want to check out your blog if you demonstrate such a lack of knowledge.

Dimonator133
08-16-2007, 11:39 AM
I don't think you can expect anyone to take you seriously if you don't think Young can get a game, maybe you don't care, but it certainly doesn't make me want to check out your blog if you demonstrate such a lack of knowledge.

lol, that couldn't be more ironic

Jack the Hack
08-16-2007, 11:40 AM

I agree with atatu on this one. After all, Young took the first set from Djokovic last year, and he's a better player now.

Anyway, wouldn't the predictions count more after the draw comes out?

If Young and Isner draw a top seed in the 1st round, I doubt they would win. However, if they get a good matchup, they could get through a round or two. At this point, anything beyond that is probably not possible. I don't think either Isner or Young are fit or physically tough enough to go deep in a 3-out-of-5 set format yet.

Challenger
08-16-2007, 11:41 AM

It's a gimmick. Some bloggers have to rely on mock analysis and "flame" posts in order to gain viewership, since they are incapable of luring them in with content and quality observations.

Dimonator133
08-16-2007, 11:48 AM
anyone who read my predictions saw I don't LITERALLY think Young will lose 0, 0 , and 0

what's ironic is that atatu took me seriously the one time i clearly didn't want to be taken seriously, then said nobody will take me seriously

oh well, dont wanna blow this up into an argument over nothing. all in good fun.

and yes, predictions will be much easier as of next Friday

atatu
08-16-2007, 11:49 AM
Ok, I guess I'm slow. No harm done.

latinking
08-16-2007, 11:59 AM
Young will lose first round. Isner has a really good shot at a few upset.

Moose Malloy
08-16-2007, 12:00 PM
Isner is ranked 192
Young is ranked 232

If Young wins another challenger(which he's already done this year), he'll move to around the ranking where Isner is now.

The US Open is 128 draw event, there are 16 qualifiers & 8 wildcards in the draw, so there will be more than a few matches involving players ranked between 100 & 300 in the first round.

Wildcards can play qualifiers in the 1st round sometimes, unless there's a draw out, not sure why anyone would be so confident how Young will fare.

He's beaten Reynolds(ranked 133 at the time), Sweeting, & Carlsen this year, and they may qualify this year, so he may get a re-match with one of them, you never know.

He would probably have very little shot at winning a masters series match, since they are such a small draw, but 128 draw lets lots of players around his level in.

Dimonator133
08-16-2007, 12:03 PM
Ok, I guess I'm slow. No harm done.

agreed (to the "no harm" part not the "I'm slow" part)

and for the purpose of getting this thread back on the track which the OP intended:

i think Young will probably lose in straight sets in the first round as long as he's playing a top-100 kind of player. Maybe he'll get a set or two against a weaker opponent. I just don't think he's at the ATP level yet, IMO.

Isner's serve can get him a few rounds as long as he doesn't draw a terrible matchup in a great returner like a Ferrer or someone like that.

atatu
08-16-2007, 12:03 PM

Hey Dimonator, here's a good article about futures level players that I found while browsing McClunes website: http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/251057.html

In case you want to add it to your articles section. The first time I looked at it they asked for registration after the first page, but the second time they did not....

LuckyR
08-16-2007, 01:27 PM
Now that Young has a Slam under his belt, I think he is likely to approach the Open with a different state of mind and not get blown out 0-0-0, as he was prone to do before.

Of course his style is not as likely to win in the main draw, but there's nothing he can do about that.

coloskier
08-16-2007, 02:46 PM
Young gets an automatic wildcard because he won the Boys 18 hardcourts. Every boy and girl who wins in either the 18's or the 16's gets an automatic wildcard. This also includes doubles for the doubles portion of the USO.

Jack the Hack
08-16-2007, 03:18 PM
Now that Young has a Slam under his belt, I think he is likely to approach the Open with a different state of mind and not get blown out 0-0-0, as he was prone to do before.

Of course his style is not as likely to win in the main draw, but there's nothing he can do about that.

When you say "Slam", are you referring to Young's junior Wimbledon title this year?

If so, Young won the 2005 Australian Open junior title and was the #1 junior in the world that year. Winning a junior "Slam" is not likely to change his approach to the US Open as much as finally winning a Futures level and Challenger level event like he did earlier this summer.

Young gets an automatic wildcard because he won the Boys 18 hardcourts. Every boy and girl who wins in either the 18's or the 16's gets an automatic wildcard. This also includes doubles for the doubles portion of the USO.

Young got the automatic wildcard from the 18's national championship the past two years, but not this year. He was at the Challenger event in Vancouver, BC instead where he lost to Sam Querry in the first round of singles, but made the doubles final.

Michael McClune won the boy's national 18's at Kalamazoo this year and got the automatic 2007 US Open wildcard in singles from that. Young's wildcard was direct from the USTA...

Dimonator133
08-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Hey Dimonator, here's a good article about futures level players that I found while browsing McClunes website: http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/251057.html

In case you want to add it to your articles section. The first time I looked at it they asked for registration after the first page, but the second time they did not....

cool. I only have articles I've written myself liked on that page right now, but that is a good idea to link other worthwhile tennis articles that I come across.

Interesting read about about McClune, too. Knew nothing about him till now.

THANKS

xtremerunnerars
08-16-2007, 08:45 PM
I think isner will do alright, but I'm not so sure about young.

joebicko
08-16-2007, 11:17 PM
Sorry mate!!!
Marin Cilic was #1 junior in the world 2005. Check the results!!!

joebicko
08-16-2007, 11:23 PM
When you say "Slam", are you referring to Young's junior Wimbledon title this year?

If so, Young won the 2005 Australian Open junior title and was the #1 junior in the world that year. Winning a junior "Slam" is not likely to change his approach to the US Open as much as finally winning a Futures level and Challenger level event like he did earlier this summer.

Young got the automatic wildcard from the 18's national championship the past two years, but not this year. He was at the Challenger event in Vancouver, BC instead where he lost to Sam Querry in the first round of singles, but made the doubles final.

Michael McClune won the boy's national 18's at Kalamazoo this year and got the automatic 2007 US Open wildcard in singles from that. Young's wildcard was direct from the USTA...
Donald Young was junior #2 in the world 2005, right behind Marin Cilic.

coloskier
08-17-2007, 07:50 AM

I stand corrected. Thanks.

Fedace
08-17-2007, 07:51 AM
I suspect Matt Bruch could meet Isner at the US open, it would be interesting to see who wins.

federerfanatic
08-17-2007, 08:05 AM
Isner is ranked 192
Young is ranked 232

If Young wins another challenger(which he's already done this year), he'll move to around the ranking where Isner is now.

You are right on that, but rankings aside, after his performance in Washington it is easy to see why people are giving Isner much more chance to win some matches at the U.S Open then Young.

Young has done nothing even approaching a regular ATP tour final, or the wins he had there to do it.

edberg505
08-17-2007, 09:55 AM
Donald Young was junior #2 in the world 2005, right behind Marin Cilic.

Sorry, Donald Young was indeed the #1 junior in the world in 2005. I have the link if you wish to see it.

FitzRoy
08-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Moose Malloy's post in this thread is right on. Donald Young is in the Top 250 right now, so it's not like he's coming into something that's way over his head at this point. Guys ranked in that range play in Slams all the time, and yes, some of them have won matches. It's definitely true that a lot will depend on the opponent that he draws, but I wouldn't be shocked if Young won a match. He's steadily moved up the rankings in the past year, so I don't see how people can continue to write him off as a failure. He's still very young and plays a style of tennis that is going to take more time to fully develop than the typical teenage big hitter. Where exactly was Nikolay Davydenko at age 18? Ranked right around 600 or so.

Isner does have more of a chance, just because his serve is such a weapon and that's the most important shot in tennis. Personally, I'd like to see both Isner and Young do well. I like both of them.

Pancho
08-18-2007, 07:53 AM
Young is totally out of his league in the US Open. He is no Michael Chang. Michael was 17 when he won French Open. Young is now 18 and has yet to win a match on the ATP Tour.

Isner went to the finals of an ATP Tour when just 6 weeks as a pro and is way ahead Young. Young tourned pro 3 years ago and that's poor results compared to Isner.

NamRanger
08-18-2007, 09:13 AM
Young is totally out of his league in the US Open. He is no Michael Chang. Michael was 17 when he won French Open. Young is now 18 and has yet to win a match on the ATP Tour.

Isner went to the finals of an ATP Tour when just 6 weeks as a pro and is way ahead Young. Young tourned pro 3 years ago and that's poor results compared to Isner.

Isner is also 22 and had the benefits of playing excellent players in the NCAA. He also has the benefit of a huge serve which carries him most of the time. He has a much more mature game, and is much better under pressure unlike Young due to his age. Young just needs some more time.

FitzRoy
08-18-2007, 06:02 PM
Young is totally out of his league in the US Open. He is no Michael Chang. Michael was 17 when he won French Open.

So? Why does he need to be Michael Chang?

EasternRocks
08-18-2007, 06:12 PM
How do you think they're going to do? Personally i think Young is going to get crushed in his first match while Isner might pull off a few upsets again.

cant agree with u more buddy

anchorsteamer
08-19-2007, 03:14 AM
Isner is ranked 192
Young is ranked 232

Ranking comparison for these two is somewhat pointless considering Isner has picked up all his points in the last 2 months while it's been a full year for Young.

It's impossible to predict any results for either player without benefit of the draw though history and common sense would dictate that both losing first round is probable. Maybe they will catch a good draw...hell maybe they will catch each other but to predict anything without a draw makes no sense. I don't see either as a top 50 player though...

anointedone
08-20-2007, 07:43 AM
Isner has the better chance to win a match or two, but Young still has some chance. If he can beat Delic, he has a chance to win a match at the U.S Open, depending on his draw of course.

Gemini
08-20-2007, 12:29 PM
Don't look now, but Young won his first ATP main draw match in New Haven.

Moose Malloy
08-23-2007, 09:36 AM
I think Young has a shot at beating Guccione.

blakealltheway
08-23-2007, 11:24 AM
Young recently played an impressive match against Davydenko at the Pilot Pen. Look for this kid to do some serious damage in the near future.

35ft6
08-23-2007, 11:24 AM
Isner already has a top 20, arguably top 10 serve. The rest of his game isn't that great. But if he can just hold serve he can hang with almost anybody on a great day.

Jack the Hack
08-23-2007, 01:04 PM
As for who will win a match or two at the US Open this year, Young plays Guccione (ranked 88th) in the first round while Isner has Jarkko Neiminen (ranked 26th and a former US Open quarterfinalist). I think Young has a 50/50 shot at his match, while Isner will probably lose in 4 sets.

Pancho
08-23-2007, 02:00 PM
Ranking comparison for these two is somewhat pointless considering Isner has picked up all his points in the last 2 months while it's been a full year for Young.

It's impossible to predict any results for either player without benefit of the draw though history and common sense would dictate that both losing first round is probable. Maybe they will catch a good draw...hell maybe they will catch each other but to predict anything without a draw makes no sense. I don't see either as a top 50 player though...

Forgt about ranking sfor now. Isner was in an ATP final. Young only won 1 ATP match in 3 years. Young sucks.

Moose Malloy
08-23-2007, 02:12 PM
Blake won only 1 atp match in his 1st 3 years & he was much older than Young is now when he turned pro.

Aeropro master
08-23-2007, 02:43 PM
I think Isner and Young will both win their first round win. Even though Donald young as won only one ATP match you have to realize he started playing on the tour at age 15. He got pushed by his parents. Now he has matured and has potential to be very good player along with Isner.

Moose Malloy
08-27-2007, 03:39 PM
Isner is ranked 192
Young is ranked 232

Isner 184
Young 223
after New Haven.

Great day for wildcards, I can't remember the last time 2 of them won 1st round matches.

grafrules
08-27-2007, 05:24 PM
The end is near for both. Gasquet will beat Young in 3 or 4 sets. Isner will lose to Federer in 3 sets.

Joeyg
08-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Way to go, Fedace. Isner won his first round match and Bruch lost in the first round of qualies, winning only 4 games total. But, you think Bruch can beat Isner. What a completely ridiculous statement. However, given the source, highly predictable.