PDA

View Full Version : Are tweener racquets appropriate for 5.0 players?

seacard
08-16-2007, 11:43 AM
I'm a 4.5 player that has always played with "Player" racquets (Prince Precision Response, PS85, HPS 6.1, iPrestige, RDS001). I've been demoing the nCode nPro Open X lately, and feel pretty good playing with it. It's a lot more powerful than what I'm used to, but I feel like I'm getting a good handle on it.

My question is, if I continue improving and get to, say, 5.0 level, would this racquet be holding me back? Or are there good 5.0 level players that use lighter racquets like that one?

frekcles
08-16-2007, 11:55 AM
IMO it's not about the racquet but the person using the racquet. If you're a 4.5 you should be able to use any racquet that you want. It's how you use it that counts.

Craig Sheppard
08-16-2007, 11:56 AM
Man, strong 4.5 players around here use the Pure Drive, so I can't say anything bad about the Open X... sounds like you're taking an ego hit or something using the nPro... I'd stick with it if it works for you. I don't see any reason for you to change if you keep winning and improving. Now, if you start playing 5.0 players and feel like your getting pushed around by using a lighter racket, then you could look into maybe some led tape or something, but unless that happens leave well enough alone is what I say.

Gmedlo
08-16-2007, 11:57 AM
If you're really that worried about it, you can always use lead. Leaded up tweeners, I find, play great. Often much better than stock players racquets.

sharp*shooter
08-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Sounds ok but as someone said i'd be worried about the weight because when i've used light rackets against harder hitters I really have to grip the racket tight or I find it just gets pushed out of my hand. Saying that the nPro Open X doesnt look too bad at all. 11.3 ounces isnt really light.

ollinger
08-16-2007, 01:37 PM
These labels given to racquets should not be taken too seriously. One only need try different types of racquets and see what you play best with.

Bhagi Katbamna
08-16-2007, 02:05 PM
The best racket for you is the one that you play the best with that doesn't hurt your arm.