PDA

View Full Version : time's effect on strings

tomato123
10-23-2004, 02:42 AM
if I were to string a racquet with new strings and I put it away and not use it for let's say about a year or so (or more), are the strings going to lose tension and playability? and if there is a certain "time limit" to how long a set of strings could go without any use and still be in good shape, what would it be?

K!ck5w3rvE
10-24-2004, 11:04 PM
It would, and the amount would depend on how well the racquet was sotred (eg. sunlight etc). I don't know about time limit for unused strings, but its recommended that you have your racquet restrung the amount of times you play per week each year (unless you break strings and need more restrings). eg. if you play 5 times a week, you should have at least 5 restings a year.

Gaines Hillix
10-25-2004, 09:05 AM
Strings lose tension from the moment they come off the stringing machine. They lose the most tension in the first day or two after stringing and with each use after that, but they still lose tension even if they aren't played with. It depends on the type of string as to how long they will hold a playable level of tension, but I would restring any racquet that had not been strung in 12 months.