PDA

View Full Version : Backhand Advice please!

njjohan
08-16-2007, 01:16 PM
Ever since I started playing Tennis, I have leaned towards the one-handed backhand. My slice is both useful and reliable, but the same cannot be said for my flat and topsin strokes. When I do pull them off, the results are great, but the percentage just isn't there. So recently I started trying out a 2HBH for topspin and flat, and my consistency skyrocketed. But here's my dilemma. The 2HBH is great for more defensive play, but when I have my opponent under pressure and can prepare properly, my 1HBH is a real weapon. Is it a mistake to try and develop both shots insteading of concentrating on one? If it helps, I am a baseliner who likes using angles. Any advice is more than welcome.

burosky
08-16-2007, 01:37 PM
If you get the results you want consistently, does it matter what stroke you use?

njjohan
08-16-2007, 02:01 PM
If you get the results you want consistently, does it matter what stroke you use?

consistency is good, don't get me wrong, but its much harder (i find) to hit winners with the 2hbh and also to inject pace.

Azrael
08-16-2007, 04:54 PM
I think that developing both would be a problem since the contact points are very different, and you will probably mess up more than you'd like.

IMO you should use the two hander since it is the more stable shot, plus you are already doing so well with it. All the coaches I know told me to get consistency before I develop power. Seems like you're following this well with your two-hander. And if you want power, then you can play Sampras-style and camp on the backhand wing slightly. Sampras' backhand is not his most famous shot, nor was it a very offensive one.