PDA

View Full Version : Woofer system?

aspiringchemlete
08-16-2007, 02:20 PM
I don't really get what the woofer system is. How can you tell if a racquet has it? There is nothing out of the ordinary on the side of my Babolat.

Azrael
08-16-2007, 02:26 PM
The grommets stick out more.

Normal grommets:

Woofer:
__ __
__/ \__/ \__

If you compare normal grommets to woofer, you can easily tell.

mark rodgers
08-16-2007, 02:30 PM
The headguard part of the grommet has more curvature than that of the racquet's frame. Depending on the tension of the string, the curvature of the headguard is pressed down to approach that of the racquet. The woofer system generally compresses completely into the frame at about 60 pounds or so of string tension. Below that there is a space between the headguard and the grommet such that when the ball hits the strings, the headguard compresses and releases to impart more power on the stroke.

By the way, the woofer system also make a nice popping sound when activated. This is when I know that I need to restring my Pure Control.

SFrazeur
08-16-2007, 02:33 PM
http://rs.tennis-warehouse.com/tw/vtech/BABTECH/WOOFER_IMG.JPG

Woofer *Woofer Technology from Babolat
THE FIRST DYNAMIC SYSTEM WHICH MAKES THE FRAME AND THE STRINGS INTERACT WHEN STRIKING THE BALL
A tennis racket is a frame with strings. The frame is basically static and holds the driving force of the racquet - the strings - in place. The strings are attached to both sides of the frame. Only some strings are active when struck by the ball. This means that racquets do not deliver their full potential. Babolat set out to imagine a racquet optimizing the frame and the strings - to invent a frame which permits all the strings to work together to their full potential when striking the ball.

-SF

AR15
08-16-2007, 02:49 PM
The real question is: Can you control the direction of the tweeters?;)

snoflewis
08-16-2007, 04:26 PM
The real question is: Can you control the direction of the tweeters?;)

control tweeners? depends on the racket..at least for me.

as for the OP's question....check the throat grommet piece....all traditional throat grommet pieces are solid, but on the woofers, there is a hole that goes through when you look at it...it's kind of hard to explain the exact location, but right under 6 o'clock there should be a hole going through....