PDA

View Full Version : PDR vs PDR+

saqdeez
08-16-2007, 04:38 PM
Can anyone who has hit both of these share you experience? I think on paper it would seem like the + is better on groundstrokes and serve, but may lose on netplay and control.

I would like to take a chance on one, but could use some advice from others who have actually tried them both.

rosenstar
08-16-2007, 05:42 PM
I played with a PDR and love it. accedently bought a PDR+ instead of a PDR (stupid I know), and I hate it. It's a completely different frame. I felt like the extra half inch hampered my shots. I'm a 4.5 level player who grinds from the baseline, but approaches off any short ball. I have too say, the PDR+ was horrible on volleys. I really don't recommend this frame or any other xl frame for this matter. stick with the standard length. It's a great racquet.

OrangeOne
08-16-2007, 06:02 PM
I didn't particularly like either as a whole-game-frame, it felt like the Pure Drive magic was lost a little with the extra heft. That said, of late I've been playing with a PD+ and liking that more than I ever would have expected.

Actually - I still can't find 1 of the 4 that actually suits me perfectly....

saqdeez
08-16-2007, 06:26 PM
I am a 4.5 baseliner (but dont mind coming up) with heavy spin and really like the PDR but only with sppp. Thats the only string that tames the power and gives it control imo. I love the racket though

SFrazeur
08-16-2007, 06:35 PM
I am a 4.5 baseliner (but dont mind coming up) with heavy spin and really like the PDR but only with sppp. Thats the only string that tames the power and gives it control imo. I love the racket though

I'm a SPPP fan and I am considering the PDR, what tension do you string at/prefer?

-SF

saqdeez
08-16-2007, 06:42 PM
hybrid with any syn, 57/59. Just incredibly fun to serve with and hit groundstrokes, REALLY easy to slice. Easy to volley but dont expect amazing control, just pic your spots. As long as you hit topspin you are ok. I can hit any serve with it, really amazing there.

OrangeOne
08-16-2007, 06:44 PM

Do you really feel it's a string taming the power? I feel, personally, that it needs to be one's game style with those frames that tames the power more than the string. Perhaps a bit of both is required...

I'm a SPPP fan and I am considering the PDR, what tension do you string at/prefer?

Interesting comment, SF. Have you stayed with SPPP through many frames? I'm changing frame (properly) for the first time in a few years now, and I just stopped myself from ordering a reel of RedCode (my string of choice for the last year) in case I didn't like it in the new frame. Keen to hear of your / other people's experiences, hell, maybe I'll even make a thread about this.

saqdeez
08-16-2007, 06:47 PM
all i know is i had big banger in there before and balls were flying. Perhaps i have made some adjustments, but ive had the SPPP experience before where i had instantly better feel and control.

I do not like redcode, find it middle of the pack everywhere but doesnt shine in any one category.

SFrazeur
08-16-2007, 07:07 PM
Interesting comment, SF. Have you stayed with SPPP through many frames? I'm changing frame (properly) for the first time in a few years now, and I just stopped myself from ordering a reel of RedCode (my string of choice for the last year) in case I didn't like it in the new frame. Keen to hear of your / other people's experiences, hell, maybe I'll even make a thread about this.

So far I have only used SPPP in the RDS 002 TOUR. I have used it both in hybrid and has a full job, which has been my favorite so far. I also thought I would try Hurricane Tour for the heck of it.

-SF

Midlife crisis
08-16-2007, 10:36 PM
My son uses a lightly leaded PDR+ (348 grams, 6 points HL, SW ~355). When he used to use synthetic gut, he'd prefer tensions in the upper half of a racquet's recommended range. He currently has one of his PDR+ with Polyon SP17 strung at 48 lbs, and the other with SPPP 1.23 strung at 46 lbs., both on a lockout machine and both with a light pre-stretch. The SPPP is strung lower because it loses less tension. If I were to use the racquets, these would also be the string tensions I would use, and I typically also prefer to use the upper half of the recommended string tension when using a synthetic gut string.

kanjii
08-16-2007, 11:46 PM
I have played with both and prefer the + for the groundstrokes and serve....but it is killer on the shoulder.

saqdeez
08-17-2007, 01:36 PM
frazeur, can you tell me what you like about the full poly better than hybrid? just curious, i may try it.

SFrazeur
08-17-2007, 01:49 PM
frazeur, can you tell me what you like about the full poly better than hybrid? just curious, i may try it.

I have had problems with hybrids outside of midsize racquets becoming too powerful due to the tension on multis dropping like a submarine with a hole in it. I also like to string somewhat loose about midrange. SPPP keeps good tension so I can string at midrange without the racquet getting too powerful after a while. In a racquet like the RDS 002 TOUR that has lots of feel, a very graphite feel, I can get away with poly's feel going a bit dead.

-SF