PDA

View Full Version : Tourna Grip must be made out of tissue paper or something similar :o)

Ripper
08-16-2007, 03:46 PM
So, I was at a local tennis shop, saw the Tourna Grips and noticed the color was very similar to the Topspin Cyber Power string I'm installing on one of my racquets. So, I thought they would look cool together. However, I recalled that my only previous experience trying to install this overgrip was not a good one. I remember destroying it just by installing it. Nevertheless, I thought, if it had such a cult following, within the pro and non-pro ranks, it should be worth giving it a second chance. This time, I was more delicate and managed to install it quite well. Haven't played with it yet, but it feels so slippery I'm worried. I'm guessing it needs a little humidity, in order to get a bit tacky. My question is: am I right?

AmericanTemplar
08-16-2007, 03:49 PM
I normally feel immediate tack on a freshly installed tournagrip, but perhaps my hands are always somewhat moist. However, once they have been used for a little while they don't work without a little hand sweat.

Ripper
08-16-2007, 03:55 PM
I normally feel immediate tack on a freshly installed tournagrip, but perhaps my hands are always somewhat moist. However, once they have been used for a little while they don't work without a little hand sweat.

Hummm, maybe I installed it upsidedown. Is this possible? I mean, aren't both sides the same? Or, maybe, I'm just so used to Babolat VS Original, which is a lot tackier.

OrangeOne
08-16-2007, 04:03 PM
How did you destroy it just by installing it? I get a set or three out of it... on each side... and I'm a big guy with fairly strong and calloused hands?

OrangeOne
08-16-2007, 04:05 PM
And yeah, both sides are the same. And perhaps, given your new reply where you talk about tackiness.... you're assuming it to be tacky? It's not, well, at least classic tournagrip isn't tacky at all... it's a dry grip that works great for sweaty hands. Maybe this is where your expectations weren't met?

They do now make TournaGrip in a tacky version....

Ripper
08-16-2007, 04:18 PM
How did you destroy it just by installing it? I get a set or three out of it... on each side... and I'm a big guy with fairly strong and calloused hands?

I don't know, I guess I pulled too hard and just ripped it apart. Tourna Grip shreds to pieces easily and I'm used to pulling hard on overgrips to make them thinner.

Ripper
08-16-2007, 04:18 PM
And yeah, both sides are the same. And perhaps, given your new reply where you talk about tackiness.... you're assuming it to be tacky? It's not, well, at least classic tournagrip isn't tacky at all... it's a dry grip that works great for sweaty hands. Maybe this is where your expectations weren't met?

They do now make TournaGrip in a tacky version....

I sweat a lot. So, let's see.

Richie Rich
08-16-2007, 04:31 PM
tournagrip is about 25 years old. it was great back then when the alternative was gauze or terry towel but now there are much better grips. i try it every now and again and can't believe the poor durability of it - one set and it's toast.

OrangeOne
08-16-2007, 04:47 PM
tournagrip is about 25 years old. it was great back then when the alternative was gauze or terry towel but now there are much better grips. i try it every now and again and can't believe the poor durability of it - one set and it's toast.

Hmm, I still haven't found a grip I necessarily prefer in Summer, and I definitely get more than 1 set out of it, and that's before spinning it over and using it again!

lethalfang
08-16-2007, 05:05 PM
No, the two sides are different. One side (the side with plastic on) is considerably tackier than the other side.

OrangeOne
08-16-2007, 05:16 PM
No, the two sides are different. One side (the side with plastic on) is considerably tackier than the other side.

If you're talking about classic tournagrip (ie. not the new, tacky one), then I'm afraid I can't agree. I find almost no diff between the two sides....

jmverdugo
08-16-2007, 05:20 PM
To each its own :), my experience with tournagrip has been nothing but a pleasure, and i sweat a lot, and i mean a lot, i can even squeeze the sweat out my socks and clothings, specially this days that we are having lots of humidity. I definitely use them more than three sets each sides up and down. Both sides ARE THE SAME and i pull them a lot to fully cover my grip for my THBH and so far so good. It may be something in my head but i cant use any other grip.

tenniskid3119
08-16-2007, 05:20 PM
my tourna grip lasted 14 hrs this week and It still is in great condition, either I don't sweat as much as I think I do, or I'm not playing hard enough:)

Voltron
08-16-2007, 05:22 PM
There is a difference between the sides, but you stop noticing it once you develop callouses, the side with tape on it is slightly softer and easier on the hands than the other side.

dave333
08-16-2007, 06:11 PM
I play awesome with tournagrip but it lasts me 3-6 hours each side. I get around 10-15 hours on wilson pro and its pretty sweet too.

Sometimes when my hands don't get really sweaty, I lick my hand a little to make tourna feel better lol. Don't share my racquet if you see tourna on it.

Hewitt Aussie
08-16-2007, 06:13 PM
whic is actually the correct side to use?

Voltron
08-16-2007, 06:14 PM
^^^

LOL, I've done that too, I've actually licked the tourna once, BTW, it tasted horrible. ;)

OrangeOne
08-16-2007, 06:18 PM
I play awesome with tournagrip but it lasts me 3-6 hours each side. I get around 10-15 hours on wilson pro and its pretty sweet too.

Sometimes when my hands don't get really sweaty, I lick my hand a little to make tourna feel better lol. Don't share my racquet if you see tourna on it.

Well I just bought a reel of each, so I'm looking forward to comparing.

As for you and licking, if I were you I'd never loan my racquet to anyone else! Then again, I also hope you never hold a tennis ball in your playing hand... just think of them sitting in someone's sweaty pocket... eww.

mhstennis100
08-16-2007, 06:22 PM
The first time I tried Tournagrip the durability was terrible but now it lasts me a week or 2, which is the most I get from any grip. It does rip if you drop your racket on the ground a lot or kick it or something.

PROTENNIS63
08-16-2007, 06:32 PM
My experience with the tourna grips is terrible... awful durability and they are as expensive as the wilson pro and yonex supergrap

TheShaun

If you're talking about classic tournagrip (ie. not the new, tacky one), then I'm afraid I can't agree. I find almost no diff between the two sides....

i sent an e-mail to unique asking if both side were the same and their answer was , yes, both sides are the same.

OrangeOne
The first time I tried Tournagrip the durability was terrible but now it lasts me a week or 2, which is the most I get from any grip. It does rip if you drop your racket on the ground a lot or kick it or something.

To be fair, neither of the above are in the list of recommended things to do to a tennis racquet :)

I find I use it for longer than I should, and only bother changing for an important match. That said, that was when grips cost me the horrific $3 aussie a grip. Now my TW reels are arriving, i expect i'll be a little less prudent with them given they're now $1.33 aussie per grip :)

tbini87
08-16-2007, 07:22 PM
There is a difference between the sides, but you stop noticing it once you develop callouses, the side with tape on it is slightly softer and easier on the hands than the other side.

i use both sides and agree that the backside is rougher on the hands. and i also think it feels a little slick until some sweat gets on it. tourna lasts me about 10 hours, so i don't know about the people that go through a grip a set...

jmverdugo
08-17-2007, 05:56 AM
^^ it only feel that way because you already use one side, but out of the box both are the same.

Bengt
08-17-2007, 07:02 AM
The bottom line is that there is a reason why most pros' racket handles are tournagrip trademark blue. I'm glad that this is one piece of "pro" equipment that I can easily afford. I mean, 99 cents for two or three matches. Who can't afford that? We're not talking VS gut here.

Nuke
08-17-2007, 07:04 AM
Tournagrip Blue is PEOPLE!

Oh, no, wait. Maybe that's Soylent Green.

Silent
08-17-2007, 07:08 AM
I sweat a lot and I love this grip. It actually feels very good the moment I grab the racquet.

Bengt
08-17-2007, 07:30 AM
Speaking of Tournagrip, has anyone noticed how many pro's names they spell incorrectly on the package? You'd think someone would've alerted them by now. It's been like that for years.

Nuke,
Charleton Heston's best, no? Ha ha

Ferrari1190
08-17-2007, 07:51 AM
tournagrip has got to be the best overgrip ive used, i dont change as often as some of the people here but hasn't ripped on me ever. for sweaty hand sits the best thing out there

origmarm
08-17-2007, 07:56 AM
In the summer, NOTHING beats Tournagrip. I get about 10hrs out of it. I thought the tape side was different (albeit slightly) but I guess I was wrong. I've never had it wrip, wear through yes, rip no. I agree its tough on the hands though.
I use the head soft one in the winter

AmericanTemplar
08-17-2007, 08:04 AM
The first time I tried Tournagrip the durability was terrible but now it lasts me a week or 2, which is the most I get from any grip.

Same here. It lasts me much longer now than it did when I first started using it. Perhaps I have subconsciously adjusted to tourna-grip's poor durability by allowing less friction between the grip and my hand when I change grips.

It might also be that they are less durable if wrapped too tightly because I remember tearing one during installation when I first started using them. I think that they are also tackier if they aren't wrapped too tight--that's not to say that they should be installed loosely either, just that they shouldn't be stretched much.

tbini87
08-17-2007, 09:41 AM
It might also be that they are less durable if wrapped too tightly because I remember tearing one during installation when I first started using them. I think that they are also tackier if they aren't wrapped too tight--that's not to say that they should be installed loosely either, just that they shouldn't be stretched much.

when i put tourna on i pull just tight enough to keep it snug. but i agree that it is probabaly more durable if you don't overstretch it. it also feels a little softer. anyone else had the problem with the XL tourna still not being long enough?

jmverdugo
08-17-2007, 09:45 AM
^^ havent use the XL but on the regular size 30 units package, definitely some grips are longer than other.

AmericanTemplar
08-17-2007, 09:59 AM
when i put tourna on i pull just tight enough to keep it snug. but i agree that it is probabaly more durable if you don't overstretch it. it also feels a little softer. anyone else had the problem with the XL tourna still not being long enough?

Yeah, the XL doesn't quite make it with a 4 5/8 grip but I don't have any two-handed strokes so I don't really care.

jonline
08-17-2007, 02:50 PM
I don't know, I guess I pulled too hard and just ripped it apart. Tourna Grip shreds to pieces easily and I'm used to pulling hard on overgrips to make them thinner.

Wow. I pull decently hard on it and it always stays on for as long as I want it on there. I think you'll like it once you use it for a few minutes. At first, the grip is somewhat tacky but not a good respresentation of the eventual feel. After you play about a half hour with it, the grip will be sweaty, and the sweatier it gets, the tackier is gets. I do think that the side with the covering on it does feel better than the uncovered side, but only slightly. Good luck.

jonline
08-17-2007, 02:52 PM
^^ havent use the XL but on the regular size 30 units package, definitely some grips are longer than other.

The XL is only 2cm longer, but it is also 4mm wider. Still not a huge difference from the original, though.