PDA

View Full Version : Im stuck, dont noe how to improve? HELP!!

Jinzui
08-16-2007, 05:31 PM
im 16 years old counterpuncher, 3.0 player and i only hav 3 months of experience. im dont noe how to improve and i hav at least 4 hrs a day to practice. i feel comfortable wit my forward but my bakward needs work. any tips on how to improve like a pro will be greatly appreciated. plus i dont noe how to increase the ball serve on my serves.

Note: i dont use continental grip :grin:

koopa_troopa
08-16-2007, 06:10 PM
ummm... practice more? what more can people do to help you? all you have said is you have a problem with your backhand and serve.

Are your backhands going long? into the net? Not accurate?

I'm guessing for your serve you wanted to speed it up. Are you physically not capable of serving fast? or are you just not getting them in the box?

Mystikal
08-16-2007, 06:30 PM
No way your a 3.0 after three months.

Milano
08-16-2007, 06:36 PM

Actually I think it is very possible. If he has 4hrs a day to practice and is athletic he could be. He probably does not have good technique but being able to compete with 3.0s with poor technique is possible.

BTW, try getting some lessons or go for an online lesson (hitech, etc.) site.

randomname
08-16-2007, 06:36 PM

3.0 in three months isnt all that unrealistic. I know a few super athletic guys who were 3.0s a few weeks after they started

OrangeOne
08-16-2007, 07:01 PM
im 16 years old counterpuncher, 3.0 player and i only hav 3 months of experience. im dont noe how to improve and i hav at least 4 hrs a day to practice. i feel comfortable wit my forward but my bakward needs work. any tips on how to improve like a pro will be greatly appreciated. plus i dont noe how to increase the ball serve on my serves.

Note: i dont use continental grip :grin:

Ok - first things first, welcome to the game of tennis, I hope you enjoy it even half as much as many of us here.

Secondly - after 3 months, well it's not the time to worry about your game style (counterpuncher or not), and it's not the time to worry about your rating (so ignore the bickering about whether you're a 3.0 or not, it's irrelevant unless you're playing tournaments / formal competition, which I doubt you are yet).

Now - on to your post. The shots are called "forehands" and "backhands" just so that you know (perhaps english isn't your first language - that's cool either way). Oh - and forget about pros for now, the game that they play and the game that you (and the rest of us) play are two different games.

To help you more, you'll have to tell people here more. What sort of backhand do you hit? 1 hand or 2? Slice or Topspin? What happens to the shot - does it usually go in the net? the back fence? The more you can say about what's going wrong, the more people can help!

Your serve: If you know what a continental grip is, start using it on your serve. It'll take practice at first, but use some of that 4 hours to learn it, it's the grip you'll use for the rest of your tennis life!

dave333
08-16-2007, 07:06 PM
Definitely start using continental. Its going to feel awkward, your serve is gonna suck, and you won't like it. But in the long run, its going make you a much better player.

Practice bouncing the ball on the ground (dribbling) with your racquet with the continental grip. That helps to get your wrist get used to the awkward feeling.

Jinzui
08-23-2007, 06:42 PM
kk thx for the help, sry i spelled forehand n bh wrong, i type too fast lol. kk ill start using continental grip for my serves. in detail for my bh i do 1h slice, it always goes over but it rises too much wit alot of curve, and i mean high like u can smash it lol. my fh is consistent enough so im not worried about that for now, but jus incase do u hav any idea how to create more topspin? i use alot of power to my fh but sumtimes i use too much it goes rite to the fence. 1 more thing, i need some tactics to learn so can u suggest any?, Milano is rite i hav none, i usually wait for my opp. to make a mistake then i finish it off. Note: my friends r s&v, baseline, n all around players. kk thats pretty much it, no need to give me tips of accuracy i can aim for corners quite well.

Note: im naturally athletic even tho im a little chubby n i hate running, but its weird that i run crazy for a point in any sports. (hockey, soccer, tennis) n im pretty fast for my size. if this helps im around 162cm tall n 157pounds:-D

Jinzui
08-23-2007, 06:46 PM
o sry 1 LAST THING: my serves jus dont go in the box when trying to use all my str., i could get it in easily but im not satisfied wit the speed. its fast to my friends but if i was on the return i could hit it bak. lol my friends r 3.0 players too

Messarger
08-24-2007, 02:50 AM
If your BH is lob high, i think you're opening your racket face too much. It's suppose to be perpendicular to the ground when you hit the ball.