PDA

View Full Version : How to change my timing of my forehand?

LazyAzN
08-16-2007, 08:47 PM
After a set match today, I realized and one of the coaches also realized that my timing was off, thus causing me to shank balls like Federer did in the FO. The problem is that I was very used to hitting the ball at my side rather than in front of me, and I'm not very used to hitting the ball out in front of me since in doubles I usually play ad so I kind of changed my timing over time.

Are there any tips out there to help?

Also, can someone give some insight as to how to transition from a straight-arm forehand to a double bend forehand?... That could possibly be the reason why I hit late. Another issue I can think of is that most of my playing partners hit with not much pace, so I hit later because of the slower ball speed.

Messarger
08-17-2007, 12:08 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong, but are you switching from an EF to a SW? I had that problem last time also. Try learning it with a neutral stance first. That help me a lot because my coach feedback that my open stance had too little body rotation.

LazyAzN
08-17-2007, 12:30 AM
Correct me if i'm wrong, but are you switching from an EF to a SW? I had that problem last time also. Try learning it with a neutral stance first. That help me a lot because my coach feedback that my open stance had too little body rotation.

I've always been using a SW forehand. Maybe my wrist is holding the racquet higher than it should?... <-- Another possibility.

Vision84
08-17-2007, 05:37 AM
Your wrist is holding the racket higher? That should definitely help you get under the ball to have the racket dropped below the wrist.

Narcissist
08-17-2007, 05:55 AM
I have this problem which is why high bouncing balls get me and faster surfaces hurt me.