PDA

View Full Version : Fischer M Pro 1

TeNNiS_SPieLeR
08-16-2007, 10:11 PM
Has anybody played with both the newer Fischer M Pro No 1 98" SL (No-Tolerance) and the Fischer M Speed Pro No 1 98" SL? Ive demoed the newer version but if the older one is similar, I would rather purchase it at the discount price. Any feedback is appreciated...thanks.

snoflewis
08-17-2007, 12:51 AM
Has anybody played with both the newer Fischer M Pro No 1 98" SL (No-Tolerance) and the Fischer M Speed Pro No 1 98" SL? Ive demoed the newer version but if the older one is similar, I would rather purchase it at the discount price. Any feedback is appreciated...thanks.

the newer one is lighter and swings lighter in terms of specs...but honestly, the rackets dont seem too different..if at all. i haven't tried the newer version so my comments wouldnt have much weight

PackardDell
08-17-2007, 04:03 AM
well, the new one has a no-tolerance guarantee, so that makes it interesting to pick that one over the model from one year ago

0d1n
08-17-2007, 04:28 AM
well, the new one has a no-tolerance guarantee, so that makes it interesting to pick that one over the model from one year ago

At nearly half the price I wouldn't think so. Fischer QA is very good anyway, so you will have VERY similar rackets with the old versions as well (I have 3 and I perceive them as identical...and I do notice these things...).
The only real reason to buy the new one is if you love the racket but don't like the older handle for some reason (you are used with a more Dunlop/Wilson type handle). The new one as I understand it is more "standard" (i.e. wilson-esque) in shape, and with a different but cap.

Keifers
08-17-2007, 08:24 AM
At nearly half the price I wouldn't think so. Fischer QA is very good anyway, so you will have VERY similar rackets with the old versions as well (I have 3 and I perceive them as identical...and I do notice these things...).
The only real reason to buy the new one is if you love the racket but don't like the older handle for some reason (you are used with a more Dunlop/Wilson type handle). The new one as I understand it is more "standard" (i.e. wilson-esque) in shape, and with a different but cap.
My black/red/green M105 came with a card stating the frame's actual measured weight and balance (320g and 314mm). Don't know if Fischer still does this with their new No Tolerance sticks...

For me, the "more standard" handle shape would be attractive. I'd have to weigh that against the extra cost, though.

TeNNiS_SPieLeR
08-17-2007, 09:43 AM
i assume the older handle is more rectangular, then? similar to head perhaps?

john cheng
08-17-2007, 10:25 AM
The older Fischer grip shape is more squarish, similar to Prince. Though the fischer may feel rounder than the prince due to the rounded buttcap that fischer has.

mclee025
08-17-2007, 10:45 AM
i assume the older handle is more rectangular, then? similar to head perhaps?

They aren't like Head at all which are more rectangular. It is more squarish as John suggested. To me though it's different from a Prince. The Fischer is like a square handle with the corners slightly shaved off where the Prince handle has deeply shaved off corners in comparison.

Some people hate that shape because it's so different from other manufacturer's grip shapes. However, I find that it's easy to adapt to and doesn't bother me. The shape seems to accentuate the feeling of some of my grips. The semi-western forehand really stands out on the grip because the tips of my fingers can really feel the edge of the top bevel with that shape.

Keifers
08-17-2007, 11:08 AM
They aren't like Head at all which are more rectangular. It is more squarish as John suggested. To me though it's different from a Prince. The Fischer is like a square handle with the corners slightly shaved off where the Prince handle has deeply shaved off corners in comparison.
Hmm.. that's a very good description of the differences. I'd never thought of it that way.

Some people hate that shape because it's so different from other manufacturer's grip shapes. However, I find that it's easy to adapt to and doesn't bother me. The shape seems to accentuate the feeling of some of my grips. The semi-western forehand really stands out on the grip because the tips of my fingers can really feel the edge of the top bevel with that shape.
I'll try to pay attention to this next time I hit with the M105. Thanks.

TeNNiS_SPieLeR
08-19-2007, 12:36 PM
So what you're saying is that other than the handle, they are basically the same racquet? That's kind of what i thought...

0d1n
08-19-2007, 12:44 PM
So what you're saying is that other than the handle, they are basically the same racquet? That's kind of what i thought...

Correct...and we have a winnerrrrrrrrrrrrrr :).

barney
08-20-2007, 08:54 AM
Has anybody played with both the newer Fischer M Pro No 1 98" SL (No-Tolerance) and the Fischer M Speed Pro No 1 98" SL? Ive demoed the newer version but if the older one is similar, I would rather purchase it at the discount price. Any feedback is appreciated...thanks.I have both rackets. In regards to playability, the most obvious difference is the handle shape, as others have noted and described. The handle shape of the older model is uniquely squarish; the handle shape of the new model is more rectangular, sort of between a Wilson and Babolat shape. The butt caps are also different, but for me, they don't affect the playability, though I've read where the butt caps affect others. The older model has the unique Fischer butt cap that protrudes slightly; the new model is a standard looking butt cap.

The other playability differences are more subtle. The newer model is slightly lighter with a slightly lower swingweight, which makes it slightly more maneverable. Both models are very solid, control rackets. I think the newer model is slightly more comfortable, slightly easier to play with and has a bit more pop.

I prefer the playability of the newer model, but there's certainly nothing wrong with the older model, though if you are considering the older model, I would strongly recommend that you hit with it first to be sure you can live with the unique grip shape. I personally have no problem with the squarish grip shape, but I know that many folks can't stand it. I think Fischer probably made a good marketing/sales decision by changing to a grip shape most people are used to.

gregmiata
08-20-2007, 10:38 AM
Do the new raquets use a similar "pallet" system like the old ones did? If so I wonder if it is possible to upgrade the grip pallet and butt cap of an old one to the new style. I have some of the Pro Classic Retro models that I just love but struggle with the grip shape. If I could upgrade them to a more standard grip I would be in seventh heaven.

can anyone comment?

0d1n
08-20-2007, 12:17 PM
Do the new raquets use a similar "pallet" system like the old ones did? If so I wonder if it is possible to upgrade the grip pallet and butt cap of an old one to the new style. I have some of the Pro Classic Retro models that I just love but struggle with the grip shape. If I could upgrade them to a more standard grip I would be in seventh heaven.

can anyone comment?

In my experience most Classic's have a foam handle instead of the pallet system, but if your rackets have a pallet you just might get lucky and get some that fit.

gregmiata
08-20-2007, 12:28 PM
0d1n:

The Retro's have the replaceable pallet system just like the previous M-speeds, so I am trying to figure out if the new grip pallets/butt caps with the more standard shape will fit the old models. Tough to find info so far, but I have a call in to Fischer USA's tennis guy and hopefully he will call back with info. I love the frame but just can't get used to the grip shape enough to make it my permanent stick.

Greg

gregmiata
08-21-2007, 08:07 AM
Interesting find last night. I went to a local pro shop and bought a Prince butt cap in 4 1/2 to see if I could replace the Retro's. I removed the grip and Fischer butt cap and found that the last inch or two of the Fischer pallets (the length of the butt cap) are smaller in size than the rest of the pallet. I slid the Prince cap on and it barely went past the reduced-size part of the pallet but was a perfect fit for the main pallet!

My take? The Fischer grip is very, very similar to that of Prince's but because of the unusual butt cap it makes it feel different. I also have a Retro with a 4 5/8 grip. I bet that if I remove it's butt cap the 4 1/2 Prince cap will fit just about right over the smaller end of the pallet. Another benefit is that eyeballing it tells me that the Prince's butt cap is a little longer, which may make the racquet end up being a true 27" after modification.

Still looking for info on whether the new "no tolerence" pallets will fit on older sticks. If anyone knows where to buy Fischer pallets, please let me know. I would happily shell out a few bucks to try it.

Greg

barney
09-11-2007, 04:39 AM
gregmiata: Any luck finding Fischer grip pallets ?

If its doable, I'd like to "upgrade" the grip pallet on my older Fischer MSpeed Pro #1 to the same grip shape as the latest M Pro#1.

I actually like both grip shapes, but I'm using the newest model now and I'd like to have consistency in the grip shape.