PDA

View Full Version : Back to back Masters Series events

cueboyzn
08-16-2007, 11:40 PM
Does anyone know why the ATP insist on having Masters series events back to back (Miami, Indian Wells), (Rome, Hamburg), Canada, Cincinatti). How can anyone expect the top players to be at their best when the goal of the ATP seems to be to reduce players to shadows of their selves by having these events one after the other. Surely there should be a week between these events at the least. The same could be said for the grass season which begins the day after the clay season ends at the French. Surely the players would welcome a week break here as well.

vive le beau jeu !
08-17-2007, 02:26 AM
surprisingly, although he doesn't seem to enjoy a lot the conditions for playing in cincinnati, roger is ok for having it back-to-back with the canada open...
(maybe his preparation/schedule/travels are easier to organize this way than with a week between them ?)
Q. Some of the other players expressed difficulties with the transition from the courts in Montreal to the courts here Cincinnati. Do you see a big difference? If so, what?
ROGER FEDERER: It is different, because it's quicker, yeah. It's more humid, but that doesn't really affect play too much. The thing is maybe not only the change of surface, it's also little preparation.
What did we have, one and a half days to get ready for a first round match against a good player? That's just not enough though play at your best. That's the problem that we face. If we had another five days to get ready for the tournament we'll get used to the surface and be all right.
That's not the case, and that's why it's hard. It's hard all around the world. I've had much tougher transitions to make from clay to grass or grass to clay within a day, so this is actually pretty easy.
But because the field is so tough, that's the dangerous part for all of us.

Q. Would you prefer to take a week between tournaments?
ROGER FEDERER: No. I'd rather have it back to back. Absolutely.
from: http://www.cincytennis.com/2/en/players/interviews/2007/federer3.asp

Rhino
08-17-2007, 04:27 AM
They are professional tennis players, it's what they do - they play tennis! I'm sure a bunch of guys in their 20's can handle two back-to-back weeks of tennis! The added difficulties, and sudden surface changes just give them new challenges and add another element to the tour, showing us who are the truely tough competitors with true grit and adaptability. It seperates the men from the boys.
I don't understand why everybody wants to make things as easy as possible for the poor little players, that would be boring to me. If they can't stand the heat then they should get out of the kitchen.

wyutani
08-17-2007, 04:32 AM
the person who did the scheduling is obviously brainless...

Dimonator133
08-17-2007, 04:43 AM
Q. Would you prefer to take a week between tournaments?
ROGER FEDERER: No. I'd rather have it back to back. Absolutely.

easy for Fed to say when he loses the first one and has a wide open draw in front of him in the second one

Zaragoza
08-17-2007, 04:45 AM
surprisingly, although he doesn't seem to enjoy a lot the conditions for playing in cincinnati, roger is ok for having it back-to-back with the canada open...
(maybe his preparation/schedule/travels are easier to organize this way than with a week between them ?)
from: http://www.cincytennis.com/2/en/players/interviews/2007/federer3.asp

LOL I can´t believe Federer said that. Look at what he said last year in the same tournament after losing to Murray:

Q. Why were you considering maybe not coming here?

ROGER FEDERER: Because the schedule is quite tough, you know, and I knew that my expectations were not to win the tournament here; they were to survive a few rounds. So that's why I'm not disappointed after this loss, you know. I expected kind of a result like this. I'm actually pretty happy I won a match here.

It seems results can change his mind.

Fedexeon
08-17-2007, 05:19 AM
Yeah, i'm surprised that he prefers back to back tournaments. It kills the players.. just like what happened to Djokovic this week.

vive le beau jeu !
08-17-2007, 07:04 AM
LOL I canīt believe Federer said that. Look at what he said last year in the same tournament after losing to Murray:

Q. Why were you considering maybe not coming here?

ROGER FEDERER: Because the schedule is quite tough, you know, and I knew that my expectations were not to win the tournament here; they were to survive a few rounds. So that's why I'm not disappointed after this loss, you know. I expected kind of a result like this. I'm actually pretty happy I won a match here.

It seems results can change his mind.
well... maybe he just likes "quite tough" schedules ? :rolleyes:

by the way, i think the bye in the 1st round for the top seeds at both tournaments makes it easier... ;)

johnkidd
08-17-2007, 07:14 AM
The Summer series could easily be changed around. It really kills it here in Cincinnati because we get the hangover effect from Montreal. They really need to move Montreal up a week and slide Indy or DC into that slot.

tkramer15
08-17-2007, 10:19 AM
The Summer series could easily be changed around. It really kills it here in Cincinnati because we get the hangover effect from Montreal. They really need to move Montreal up a week and slide Indy or DC into that slot.

Yeah, I completely agree with separating Canada and Cincinnati by a week and mixing in one of the other American events such as Indianapolis or Washington. That may actually strengthen Indy or Washington because they could potentially get a few more top entrants from outside of the U.S. The way it is now, virtually none of the top 10 or 15 foreign players come over and play before the two Masters Series tourneys. Back in the 1990s when those two events were played simulataneously the week following Cincinnati, they each attracted much stronger fields. Clearly, Cincinnati would stand to benefit from such an arrangement.