PDA

View Full Version : Changing my take back in the serve - help

AsgerHO
08-17-2007, 02:03 AM
hi guys

Earlier on I posted a video of my serve, which is not bad in my own opinion, but technically not that correct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxATG19bc9M

I have been playing lots of tournaments, so haven´t really had time to work on changing it technically, which is definetely what I want.
Now I have plenty of time before the next tournament, and I really want to change the take back, so it becomes much more floating, and have a stable wrist, so it doesn´t look like it does in the video.
I´m already working on tossing more into the court, getting my hip more into the serve, and improving my throw.

What I want is to have a motion, which is much more normal, I don´t know how much it will help, and if it will, but if it´s not too dificult for me, I might as well work on it.
I tend to move both arms at the same time, and not throwing the ball up before I startmy takeback as fx. Tursunov. But I think it´s mainly playerd with a high throw.

Ferrero could be a good example of what I want to to - of course not exactly, but just to have something to look at in order of changing my motion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsMEt08JLCM

Does anyone have ane good advices on what I can do to make it easier to change?

Cheers

wihamilton
08-17-2007, 07:17 AM
Kinda hard to see w/a video that doesn't have a scrubber bar, but it looks like you might be able to get a little more racket drop. Try bringing your hitting arm elbow down so that it is in line w/your shoulder when you prepare -- basically try and get the classic "L" position w/your arm in the trophy pose. That will let you drop the racket a little bit further behind you when you swing.

lkdog
08-17-2007, 08:16 AM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=149803

See this thread below.
Lots of good ideas.

fuzz nation
08-18-2007, 11:47 AM
Good video with the different views. I'm not sure what you mean concerning the timing of your takeback vs. your toss, but I'm a believer in getting your motion well along before the toss to encourage an unrushed release through the ball (it didn't occur to me that your motion looked hurried, though). Your wrist needs to stay loose, too. Tension in there will kill racquet speed in your serve, so look for the pop to come from the bigger muscle groups in your legs and your core.

Your feet: check them again in this video and look at where they go in comparison to the direction you are serving. There's about a thirty to forty degree difference that you can plainly see from the angle directly behind you. Again, it looks like you're hitting the ball ok, but your serve may be more efficient if everything is going in the same direction.

One more point with your feet: they get sort of "happy" after the serve as you jog forward, but that forward motion isn't coming much from your leg drive on the serve itself. You could probably stand to add a little more of a surge that takes you up through the ball as well as forward into the court. Develop this a little at a time so that you don't create a lot of chaos in your timing.

Finally, the position of your racquet arm on the takeback starts high and stays high; this restricts your upper body from rotating through the serve. It looks like you can get more zip if you tilt the plane of your shoulders so that your left arm and shoulder are reaching up toward the toss while your right arm is tucked down a little more behind you. Think of pointing your right elbow more at the bottom of the fence behind you than toward the upper end of it where it looks to be in your video. Now when you go up to hit the ball, you'll have a little more room to accelerate the racquet.

I think you've got a really good sense for the tempo you need for a good serve and an adjustment or two with your mechanics will give you some free pop when you get comfortable with them.

Mountain Ghost
08-18-2007, 09:30 PM
You are pulling (almost “yanking”) your tossing shoulder, and ESPECIALLY your head, down very early, which is preventing you from being able to hit up.

Instead of yanking anything down, you need to start lowering your tossing arm while your tossing shoulder is still up, and then let that shoulder come down naturally as the swing progresses and the dominant shoulder comes up and over. You don’t want to drop your head until AFTER contact. The simplest way to work on this is to make sure your head stays up as your tossing arm “gently” lowers out of the swing path. That will at least make it possible to hit up.

As for the backswing, don’t let the racquet head drop below the imaginary extension line of your forearm. Having a flexible wrist is good, but letting it drop like a wet noodle is TOO flexible. During the take-back, try to not lead with your handle so much on the way up.

MG

AsgerHO
08-19-2007, 03:31 AM
Thanks very much for the advice.
I will work on the takeback and the position of my feet, and see how it goes.
Then I will try and post a video with what I have been able to improve a little later on

Thanks again

ipodtennispro
08-19-2007, 11:50 AM
[QUOTE=AsgerHO;1672330]hi guys

Earlier on I posted a video of my serve, which is not bad in my own opinion, but technically not that correct.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxATG19bc9M

With your permission I would like to export the video off you tube and put it into slow motion and split screen it with the pros and put in on my site. Your serve is what we typically call an "Ab" serve. You are pulling your abs up into the serve. More leg drive with a smooth twist of your core is what you need. You are not synchronizing these movements and neither is Ferrero. If you like his serve (I don't) just keep practicing what you are doing, however, there should be no natural breaks in the serve and you have two which I can clearly see when I slow it down. Many people serve with their abs, Shiavone, Ferrer, V Williams, hundreds more.

It is just my preference but I would try to change you to a platform stance and that would get rid of that hitch. (get rid of the pin point which is the root cause of timing problems). Or, you need to get much more knee bend and hip rotation with the current motion and smooth it out. I know other coaches out there have other opinions and may not agree with me but you do what ever makes you happy.