PDA

View Full Version : tv: hate it when they show the players face on the serve.....

morten
08-17-2007, 01:43 AM
instead of the whole movement, cant study the stance or anything...

Mike Bulgakov
08-17-2007, 02:11 AM
It is annoying. Almost every broadcast does the same thing: a close-up on the server from the mid-court camera until the acceleration into the ball, at which point there is a switch to a wide-angle camera stationed behind the baseline. Clear and continuous views of the service motion are all too rare. Often the wide shot is kept for duration of the second serve and ensuing point.

I think there is a prevailing view that maximizing close-ups draws in the viewer, but points need to be viewed from a wide-angle baseline shot. The fact that nearly every broadcast cuts at the same point during the first serve is indicative of the complete lack of imagination in tennis broadcasting in my opinion.

Bodacious DVT
08-17-2007, 02:58 AM
TTC has the bad habit of putting a watermark of the returner onscreen with the server's face. now THAT is annoying!

fantom
08-17-2007, 04:06 AM
Funny you mention that. I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday during Fed/Bags. I thought that Bags must have a high ball toss because it looked like he really waited for it to come down, but I never actually saw a wide angle view of motion before the ball strike because they were so focused in on his face. Annoying!!!

Japanese Maple
08-17-2007, 04:23 AM
I find this very annoying too-can't study the whole service motion, particularly their coil and knee flexion and extension. Also, they need to show points from down low behind the baseline to appreciate the spin and pace of the ball, not up high. I believe mens tennis is in serious jepordy of becoming boring and losing viewers because of the monotonous rallies from the baseline-same paterrns over and over again with no real aprroach/volley game. Last year at the open I was so bored to see Davedyco vs. Murray-now that is boring tennis! Thank god for the artistry of Federer and grittiness and spins of Nadal.

dave333
08-17-2007, 04:46 AM
Same here, I hate it. I also can't see the returner's footwork either.