PDA

View Full Version : Cost of racquet

aspiringchemlete
08-17-2007, 04:06 AM
I just got an aeropro drive cortex, and I'm kind of wondering why it was so expensive. The material for the frame is like plastic...so when companies charge so much for racquets, is it more for the technology or the brand name?

PimpMyGame
08-17-2007, 05:23 AM
You are paying for research, development and marketing. The cost of materials and labout is quite low, maybe less than £10 ($20).

You also have to consider general and admin expenses, shipping and the mark-up of the retailer.

aspiringchemlete
08-17-2007, 08:51 AM
I see. By the way, does anyone know what the APDC frame is made out of?

Banks
08-17-2007, 08:54 AM
probaly carbonfibre and kevlar. imo materials should be the last thing your concerned about. does the racket play well for you?

aspiringchemlete
08-17-2007, 09:06 AM
probaly carbonfibre and kevlar. imo materials should be the last thing your concerned about. does the racket play well for you?
Oh don't get me wrong. I love the racquet, and I play great with it! It's just that when I tap it, I get a "plastic-y" sound.

dunloplayah
08-17-2007, 09:31 AM
I wasn't that impressed with the fit and finish of the babolat pure storm. esp. if you take the grommets off to replace. they really have a lot of crappy mold marks and lots of loose fibers in the grommet holes. my dunlops are much like prince and wilson's fit and finish. But hey, if it plays well, who cares right? Main thing is you love the racquet.

tbini87
08-17-2007, 09:47 AM
companies will charge as much as people are willing to play. a lot of the time you will be paying for brand name, because there will be less expensive racquets with about the same quality, but people will choose to pay more for the racquet that pros use.

Bottle Rocket
08-17-2007, 09:47 AM
I just got an aeropro drive cortex, and I'm kind of wondering why it was so expensive. The material for the frame is like plastic...so when companies charge so much for racquets, is it more for the technology or the brand name?

You just bought the racket. You just paid what Babolat was asking.

They charge so much because YOU will buy it.

Anyway... Babolat says it is made out of "High Modulus Graphite", something that must have been overlooked in my materials classes...

Banks
08-17-2007, 10:19 AM
Oh don't get me wrong. I love the racquet, and I play great with it! It's just that when I tap it, I get a "plastic-y" sound.

they are great rackets... im waiting for mine to come in the mail. :cool:

you have the same set up ill have on mine just a pound less in tesion.

Steve H.
08-17-2007, 10:58 AM
Bottle, "modulus" is just short for Young's modulus, a measure of stiffness.

nickb
08-17-2007, 12:52 PM
They APDC feels cheap and not well made...it feels like a toy to me. Very plastic feel to it.

scotus
08-17-2007, 01:13 PM
Racquet companies keep a tight leash on retailers and control the prices. They control advertised prices and refuse to supply racquets to those merchants who are willing to sell at discounts.

JW10S
08-17-2007, 01:38 PM
You are paying for research, development and marketing. The cost of materials and labout is quite low, maybe less than 10 ($20).I knew the guy who's company owned Prince before Benetton did. He told me then that a POG cost about $8 to produce (and that a pack of syn. gut costs about 40 cents to make). So R&D, marketing, as well as all the pro, colligiate, and junior endorsements make up the bulk of a racquet's cost.

scotus
08-17-2007, 02:12 PM
Did you get your aeropro drive cortex from a reputable dealer?

Roger_federer
08-17-2007, 02:16 PM
At least Babolat quality control is SUPERIOR to others like Wilson. My two N sixone 95's were so off from each other it affected my swing when I changed from one another.

nickb
08-17-2007, 02:16 PM
I knew the guy who's company owned Prince before Benetton did. He told me then that a POG cost about $8 to produce (and that a pack of syn. gut costs about 40 cents to make). So R&D, marketing, as well as all the pro, colligiate, and junior endorsements make up the bulk of a racquet's cost.

Wow...if a POG costs $8 to make what does a light tweener cost to make :confused:

aspiringchemlete
08-17-2007, 03:43 PM
Did you get your aeropro drive cortex from a reputable dealer?
I guess...I got it online from *******sports.

EDIT: It got censored. First three letters is mid, then west.

jonline
08-17-2007, 06:48 PM
I guess...I got it online from *******sports.

EDIT: It got censored. First three letters is mid, then west.

Why not buy from TW?

aspiringchemlete
08-17-2007, 06:52 PM
Why not buy from TW?
Well they're not in stock until 8/28. Besides, the racquets should be the same quality, right?

Mick
08-17-2007, 06:54 PM
companies will charge as much as people are willing to play. a lot of the time you will be paying for brand name, because there will be less expensive racquets with about the same quality, but people will choose to pay more for the racquet that pros use.

yep and the racquet companies have to charge more for the racquets that the pros use because the pros demand endorsement money.

Duzza
08-17-2007, 07:47 PM
When you think about it though, Frames are quite cheap in the long run I find. For example, my Pure Controls I got for about 80USD each used. I expect them to last well over a year. So that's only $1.50 a week near abouts, given they last one year only. Think about how many stringjobs you'll do a year.

I expect to do roughly a string every three weeks at most, which means approx 17 stringjobs@$20 a pop = $340 a year.

If I was using fresh balls for every third hit, considering I hit 3 times a week. That's a can a week. A can of balls is about $8 each. So thats $416 dollars a year.

Hmmm...IMO racquets are one of the cheapest parts of tennis.

So $160 for racquets compared to $680 for stringjobs provided I do that many, compared to $416 just for damn balls!

nb I rarely buy new cans of balls and I really don't know but 17 stringjobs sounds about right. Imagine JOllyRoger's string bill!

Banks
08-17-2007, 08:12 PM
if stringing costed me 340 bucks a year id buy my own machine.

Duzza
08-17-2007, 08:16 PM
Well it's a close friend. We have a pretty tight knit tennis circle and he is the designated stringer. I wouldn't want to steal his business.

jonline
08-18-2007, 02:36 PM
Well they're not in stock until 8/28. Besides, the racquets should be the same quality, right?

I understand wanting it now. lol