PDA

View Full Version : Why do poly string feel harsh the second time you play with them?

ionutzakis
08-17-2007, 04:13 AM
I noticed this with several of my poly or poly hibrids.

1st time I play with a fresh poly string, even if it's Alu, my arm feels great, balls go in, everething is fine.

But the second time I play with them they start feeling harsh.

Now I don't understand, if they lose 10 pounds in the first 24 hours, plus what they lose when I play the first time, then how come they feel so damn stiff the second time? They should be looser right? Then?

Stan
08-17-2007, 04:17 AM
They lose their playing properties and are no longer able to absorb shock. This translates to a harsh feeling. Not all copolys do this, but many do. Some of the newer ones are much better in terms of holding playing properties longer.

tbini87
08-17-2007, 08:54 AM
when i use poly it feels stiff until i break them in, then they feel good for a while, then as they lose their playability they get stiff and harsh again. suprises me that they are harsh on only the second time you play with it. maybe some others can help you out...

AmericanTemplar
08-17-2007, 09:43 AM
I think that it's like Stan says about them losing their playing properties. But to be more exact--when they lose tension, they lose elasticity.

PaulC
08-17-2007, 04:01 PM
temperature change can be a factor... Say if the first time you played in a warm day over 90 degree F, and then the second time you played at night or when the temperature drop below 70.

vinnier6
08-17-2007, 04:46 PM
sppp is not like this, but alu is...try a different poly

armand
08-17-2007, 05:57 PM
Yeah you can look at tension loss ratings but they don't tell the entire story; some strings seem to hold tension well but it may be only because they've lost their elasticity so the string bed will still register a similar stiffness.