PDA

View Full Version : Come On!

ironicqueery
08-17-2007, 06:19 AM
I can not understand why the pro players yell "come on" after a good shot they make. Seems to me, I'd yell it after a stupid shot, to tell myself to get with it. I'm not sure why I'd tell myself "come on" after a good shot though. Why are they telling themselves this? Seems like they could come up with a better phrase if they are trying to encourage themselves.
Any ideas why this phrase is deemed to be something to yell after a good shot?

tennis_hand
08-17-2007, 06:21 AM
I can not understand why the pro players yell "come on" after a good shot they make. Seems to me, I'd yell it after a stupid shot, to tell myself to get with it. I'm not sure why I'd tell myself "come on" after a good shot though. Why are they telling themselves this? Seems like they could come up with a better phrase if they are trying to encourage themselves.

they are yelling it at his opponent to come on. u don't get it?

thundaga
08-17-2007, 06:24 AM
it rolls off the tongue quite well. screaming out "yessssss" is quite awkard. i guess hewitt made it a bit of a cult thing. annoys the hell outta me when club players do it tho

Wits-Z
08-17-2007, 06:25 AM
ha.. are you joking that they are yelling at the opponent?? It's a way to psyche themselves up, like COME ON [that's my kind of game]..

Personally, I think it's a little goofy. I generally yell, yeahhhhh boyeeeeeeeee. :D

Wits-Z
08-17-2007, 06:26 AM
or maybe yipppppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Wits-Z
08-17-2007, 06:26 AM
how about weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Andres
08-17-2007, 06:32 AM
BOOYAKASHAAAA!!!!

Or, the eternal classic

BOOOOM SHAKA LAKAAAAAAA!!!!

Wits-Z
08-17-2007, 06:34 AM
BOOYAKASHAAAA!!!!

Or, the eternal classic

Now that's what I'm talking about!! "Come on" is weak!

pound cat
08-17-2007, 06:35 AM
It's an Aussie expression, Hewitt's contribution to professional tennis. I& is used either when you make a good shot, or when the opponent misses a shot. It's used so often now by so many players it really has no meaning.

Omisoshiru
08-17-2007, 03:01 PM
BOOYAKASHAAAA!!!!

Or, the eternal classic

I would love to hear a pro yell that out during a match

Challenger
08-17-2007, 03:35 PM
I always though "Come On!" was a weird thing to yell after winning a point. From where I come from, that usually means you're frustrated with what just happened. Examples: The ice cream falling off your cone, a friend throwing a water balloon at you out of no where, your favorite basketball player misses an easy layup, etc.

My guess is that tennis players usually intend for it to mean something like "Let's Go!" or "Vamos".

I would love to hear a pro yell that out during a match

Especially Federer. That'd be classic.

princess bossass
08-17-2007, 03:40 PM

I have wanted to post the exact same question for so long! I just plain don't get it...it makes me laugh to hear players like sharapova do it, but even moreso when it's ivanovic or federer or some other player saying "come on" whose primary language is not English. I was watching the Federer/Nadal Wimbledon final with some non-tennis friends, and they thought it was funny, too. It DOES seem like it would make more sense after a bad shot. It must just have caught on from Hewitt and radiated uncontrollably...

nasastevo
08-17-2007, 04:00 PM
I saw Luke Jensen say COME ON many many moons ago... In the dark times before most of you guys were born. Just kidding... But i really did see LJ say it in a match at Ojai against Pat McEnroe. He nailed a volley down the line and gave the Jimmy Connors fist pump while he did it. Memorable match...

dave333
08-17-2007, 04:38 PM
BOOYAKASHAAAA!!!!

Or, the eternal classic

LMAO I'm crying from laughter.

EricW
08-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Whenever i'm really ****ed and I make an unforced error I yell "COME ON!!!!!", no idea why people use it positively...

_mats_
08-17-2007, 04:46 PM
I think I read maria sharapova's father's lips yell "vamos!" when she gets a tough point also.

krz
08-17-2007, 04:47 PM
yea I use it negatively.

If i spray a shot, I'll yell COMEEEEEEE ON and throw my hands up or put the racket to my forehead lol. Usually its COME THE F ON though instead of the regular common.

hyrulemaster
08-17-2007, 04:51 PM
the #1 high school guy at our district tournament would yell "YEA COME ON!!" when he was really ****ed off and i was really confused because he would send a ball wailing into the net, scream that, and be really ****ed off. maybe it was part of his strategy to make the other guy so bored that he lost focus and started making UEs...

anyways this guy lost 6-3 6-0.

so come on!

Vision84
08-17-2007, 04:58 PM
I guess I am another one who yells come on to psych myself up when I'm not playing well. I do it out of reflex occasionally when I win a big point though.

I should start yelling IN YOUR FACE when I hit a winner.

daddy
08-17-2007, 05:56 PM
they are yelling it at his opponent to come on. u don't get it?

Dissagre totally. When ana says Ajde ! - does she think ANY other tennis player understands its come on ??? They say that to encourage themselves, like you can do it to them selves.

swisser
08-17-2007, 06:08 PM
BOOYAKASHAAAA!!!!

Or, the eternal classic

i swear u r the weirdest peson online.

Andres
08-17-2007, 06:27 PM
i swear u r the weirdest peson online.
Well thank you! I'm glad we agree.
I love you too :)

dave333
08-17-2007, 06:57 PM
I guess that proves wierd people are awesome.

Dimonator133
08-17-2007, 07:33 PM
what else would you say when hitting a big shot at a crucial time. At this point I guess it's just habit for me. I'd feel weird saying "YESSSS!" after I hit a winner, so I don't know what other option there is other than COME ON! (with massive fist pump simultaneously).

Let's Go is something I kind of mutter right before a huge point to pump myself up, COME ON is what I scream after the successful point.

Challenger
08-17-2007, 07:59 PM
what else would you say when hitting a big shot at a crucial time. At this point I guess it's just habit for me. I'd feel weird saying "YESSSS!" after I hit a winner, so I don't know what other option there is other than COME ON! (with massive fist pump simultaneously).

Let's Go is something I kind of mutter right before a huge point to pump myself up, COME ON is what I scream after the successful point.

What's weird with blurting out a blunt "Yes!" after a winner? I know people who say that, and I may've said that once or twice myself. Usually, I go with "Hell yeah!" or "Gotcha!".

tennis_hand
08-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Dissagre totally. When ana says Ajde ! - does she think ANY other tennis player understands its come on ??? They say that to encourage themselves, like you can do it to them selves.

she, and any other player, doesn't think the other play understands, because they don't need to "think" this. they themselves understand they are asking their opponent to come on to up their level after they hit a winner. this gives themselves energy. If they shout to themselves, why do they do it after winners? shouldn't they always do it after hitting badly? and why does Hewitt and some others shout come on towards the opponent with a fist?

TheNatural
08-17-2007, 11:27 PM
The comeon's make perfect sense after a good shot - just encouraging themselves do do more of the same after the good shot.

Noveson
08-17-2007, 11:32 PM
What's weird with blurting out a blunt "Yes!" after a winner? I know people who say that, and I may've said that once or twice myself. Usually, I go with "Hell yeah!" or "Gotcha!".

I wouldn't be able to control my laughing if i heard somebody say "hell yeah!" or "gotcha!" lol. I must say that is probably the worst thing I can imagine somebody saying. I always thought vamos was kind of weird, but catchy, I mean "we go" right?

Andres
08-18-2007, 09:22 AM
i guess that proves weird people are gay.
Newbie, with all due respect, get lost ;)

Commando Tennis Shorts
08-18-2007, 11:43 AM
I've always thought that yelling "Come on!" was silly. When I hear a rec player at a tournament yell it, I become immediately annoyed by that person. I must admit, I do sport the fist pump, but I sure as heck don't yell "Come on!" I might yell "Yeah!!" or "Yes!!" but it definitely doesn't sound as awkward as "Come Onnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!"

superstition
08-18-2007, 12:19 PM
I think it's done to psych out the opponent. It's gamesmanship. You're rubbing it in their face that you won an important point. I don't like it, personally. I think it's obnoxious.

Zets147
08-18-2007, 12:20 PM
"Too Fast" or "Too Good" after you serve an ace works great!

muggy
08-18-2007, 12:23 PM
my friend says, "down the line!" when he hits it down the line.
It's pretty annoying, but funny at the same time.

recently he just figured out to say "crosscourt"

Commando Tennis Shorts
08-18-2007, 02:01 PM
You see, some people like to yell "Come on!!" or "Wooo!!!". I like to be more specific. When I hit a good shot, I yell, "The way I hit that shot makes me feel good inside!!!" at the top of my lungs.

daddy
08-18-2007, 11:46 PM
she, and any other player, doesn't think the other play understands, because they don't need to "think" this. they themselves understand they are asking their opponent to come on to up their level after they hit a winner. this gives themselves energy. If they shout to themselves, why do they do it after winners? shouldn't they always do it after hitting badly? and why does Hewitt and some others shout come on towards the opponent with a fist?

I watch her progress and she always says ajde when shes not so into the match and then hits a few good ones , not when shes busting her oponent. Thats why I think shes encouraging herself with this ! Like Vajda was talking to djokovic in montreal finals at the end of first set - MOZES ( you can do it ) at 5 - 6 and deuce !

Messarger
08-19-2007, 12:14 AM
Guys, its more of the tone of the voice actually. I see where you're coming from if you say you'd say it after a bad shot, but that and Hewitt's "c'mon" are two different tones of voice. Hewitt's c'mon is like saying "thats the way!!"

daddy
08-19-2007, 12:16 AM
Guys, its more of the tone of the voice actually. I see where you're coming from if you say you'd say it after a bad shot, but that and Hewitt's "c'mon" are two different tones of voice. Hewitt's c'mon is like saying "thats the way!!"

Weeeeelll - but agains cheila in aussie 05 or 06, they almost pick a fight there ? Rmemeber how everyone was bashin hewit for this, come on and a stare at oponents face ! Thats a different cmon than ivanovic turning around for the towekl sduqiling ajde ! One more thisg - when you showt cmon and that on your oponents BAD point ? What then ?

Hewitt did that more than once admit it. Hes a fighter, I givi it to him, I respect and like to watch tennis when you never know whos going to preveil but this is by all means rude !!!

Messarger
08-19-2007, 09:44 AM
Weeeeelll - but agains cheila in aussie 05 or 06, they almost pick a fight there ? Rmemeber how everyone was bashin hewit for this, come on and a stare at oponents face ! Thats a different cmon than ivanovic turning around for the towekl sduqiling ajde ! One more thisg - when you showt cmon and that on your oponents BAD point ? What then ?

Hewitt did that more than once admit it. Hes a fighter, I givi it to him, I respect and like to watch tennis when you never know whos going to preveil but this is by all means rude !!!

I dont understand what you're typing, but "c'mons" are usually said after a tough rally and not "on your opponents bad points" if thats what you're trying to say.

daddy
08-19-2007, 09:46 AM
I dont understand what you're typing, but "c'mons" are usually said after a tough rally and not "on your opponents bad points" if thats what you're trying to say.

I say I like it when you hit a winner and say c'mon ! Or at least hit the ball hard and then force the error of your opponent and cheer ! But hey - you send a normal ball, your oponent goes for the hit, misses narrowly and you jump all around the place and scream ?

Bull.

Nadal makes incredible point and then goes doing his jumping, not when federer mishits a forehand.

Got it ?

West Coast Ace
08-19-2007, 10:03 AM
I always thought vamos was kind of weird, but catchy, I mean "we go" right?Multiple uses. Can also mean "let's go" - which is I believe why the Spanish speakers use it.

I dont understand what you're typing, but "c'mons" are usually said after a tough rally and not "on your opponents bad points" if thats what you're trying to say.You're right. Yelling "c'mon" after hanging in a tough point, playing defense until you get a chance to go for a winner. Of course even some of the announcers grumble when this is done - usually if it's a player they don't like.

Messarger
08-19-2007, 12:28 PM
I say I like it when you hit a winner and say c'mon ! Or at least hit the ball hard and then force the error of your opponent and cheer ! But hey - you send a normal ball, your oponent goes for the hit, misses narrowly and you jump all around the place and scream ?

Bull.

Nadal makes incredible point and then goes doing his jumping, not when federer mishits a forehand.

Got it ?

Thats exactly what i said. I'm talking about "c'mon"s in general, not about Hewitt at all. You totally misinterpreted my first post. The bad shots i was refering to were shots that the player hit long, and not his opponents. Two different things altogether.

2shots
08-19-2007, 01:41 PM
I usually give a, "Thats the one" when hitting a good shot:D

Azzurri
08-19-2007, 01:53 PM
[QUOTE=Challenger;1673712]I always though "Come On!" was a weird thing to yell after winning a point. From where I come from, that usually means you're frustrated with what just happened. Examples: The ice cream falling off your cone, a friend throwing a water balloon at you out of no where, your favorite basketball player misses an easy layup, etc.

My guess is that tennis players usually intend for it to mean something like "Let's Go!" or "Vamos".

Same here...I say C'mon when I make a mistake....maybe Hewitt has low intelligence and does not know what else to say.:p I am sure his wife loves it....

phoony
08-20-2007, 01:30 AM
Either yes or c'mon to give ourselves a self confidence like what she did:

http://d.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20070810/capt.82147fc8c17e4951a479464b764aa7c5.east_west_ba nk_classic_tennis_hdc117.jpg

Alexandros
08-20-2007, 02:52 AM

Bull.

Got it ?

No, I don't got it because I've seen Nadal scream VAMOS and double fist pump over a opponent's double faults and unforced errors. Usually only in close matches but the point still stands.

Wuornos
08-20-2007, 03:27 AM
Well I think the grunters should stop grunting and shout 'Twang' or 'Boing' as the ball comes off their racquets. :p

MaximRecoil
08-20-2007, 03:55 AM
what else would you say when hitting a big shot at a crucial time.
You could say to your opponent:

"How'd you like that?!"

Or:

"You gotta hustle!"

Or:

"Get the lead out!"

But anyway, saying anything at all after you win a point is obnoxious, unless it is someone you know well and they know it is in jest.

And yelling "Come on!" after you have won a point simply means you are confused. "Come on!" is something you yell in a negative fashion, when you are displeased with recent events. It is the same idea as yelling "Damn it!" or "WTF?!" or whatever.

daddy
08-20-2007, 11:35 AM
Thats exactly what i said. I'm talking about "c'mon"s in general, not about Hewitt at all. You totally misinterpreted my first post. The bad shots i was refering to were shots that the player hit long, and not his opponents. Two different things altogether.

Ok noted, but what I said has a good point !

daddy
08-20-2007, 11:36 AM
No, I don't got it because I've seen Nadal scream VAMOS and double fist pump over a opponent's double faults and unforced errors. Usually only in close matches but the point still stands.

Name when ? If so then okay but I remember other things ... fro him at least I can understand the red hot aproach and everything, but at double faults?

McGee
08-24-2007, 06:55 PM
:roll: i swear u r the weirdest peson online.

eye sware U R sum tean rednek git a life er....:)