PDA

View Full Version : Did they screw up my string job?

shaba230
08-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Please look at this PDF, at the stringing instructions provided at the bottom right:

http://www.wilson.com/media/wilson/racquet/pdf/tennis/n_Pro_Open_100_36109.pdf

She used Lightning XX 16 string.

Here are a few photos of my racquet string job...the ties seem like they are not in the specified locations.

ALSO (and most importantly) some of the main strings are MUCH tighter than others...what's going on there?

The racquet is brand new and has only been used 4-5 times since stringing.

http://i15.tinypic.com/4xw9x01.jpg

http://i17.tinypic.com/4yphu7k.jpg

If you want to see the full image of the racquet head:

http://i16.tinypic.com/661oo03.jpg

shaba230
08-17-2007, 11:33 AM
Here's what it says if you can't view the PDF:

Pattern: 16 x 19
Tension: 53 - 63 lbs.
String length: 34’ (ss: 9’6”) or (19’ M’s & 15’ X’s)
Start M’s: At throat. Mains skip 8H & 8T.
Tie off M’s at 6T.
If one-piece stringing: Start X’s at bottom at 8T.
Tie off X’s at 5H.
If two-piece stringing: Start X’s at top at 8H.
Tie off X’s at 5H & 11T.

WhatItIs
08-17-2007, 11:49 AM
Looks like the actual string job is right. Although, it should've been a 1 piece string job since you weren't using 2 different types of strings. I don't think it really matters where you tie off knots at, as long as the knot is correct.

Gmedlo
08-17-2007, 11:51 AM
I wouldn't worry about it. The knots look decent and they are in places that would cause the last string (X or M) to lose the least amount of tension, which is probably why the stringer decided to tie off there.

What your stringer did makes more sense to me than what wilson recommends.

flash9
08-17-2007, 12:00 PM
I agree the string pattern is indeed correct.
As for tie off locations, I agree with the other two posters, where they did it is a better locations.
Though Wilson allows for throat to head stringing, structurally I do not like to do this to a frame, so if the person does not know how to do a Round-the-World pattern then the two piece string job they did is the next best thing.

ChipNCharge
08-17-2007, 12:00 PM
Although, it should've been a 1 piece string job since you weren't using 2 different types of strings.

Why? Some people who use the same string for both the mains and the crosses use two piece stringing all the time (less string to pull and also ensures top-to-bottom stringing for the crosses).

tbini87
08-17-2007, 12:09 PM
mains are tied at 7T instead of 6T aren't they? and the crosses' starting knot should be at 5H not 7H. so i think they did the tie offs in the wrong places, even though the knots look ok. and doing a 2-piece job is fine even when using the same type string. it is the preference of the player or stringer. the only time it matters is if it is a hybrid, and then it MUST be done 2 piece.

as far as some mains being tighter than others... it may be inconsistent stringing by the stringer. i don't know what it could be other than that. but how can you tell? just by pulling the mains and feeling a difference?

nickb
08-17-2007, 12:46 PM
Looks ok to me...knots look good...if tension feels uneven the stringer could be inconsistent.

federer envies me
08-17-2007, 01:03 PM
yeah it definetly looks fine

psp2
08-17-2007, 01:14 PM
Looks like a nPro Open. My only complaint would be the wrong tie-off holes. Why the stringer tied off at 7H when there's a HUGE tie-off hole at 5H questions the experience of the stringer.

vinnier6
08-17-2007, 01:24 PM
Looks like the actual string job is right. Although, it should've been a 1 piece string job since you weren't using 2 different types of strings. I don't think it really matters where you tie off knots at, as long as the knot is correct.

its more common to use a two piece instead of a one piece...even when using the same string...

the string job looks fine...what are you bitc hing about

tsmcauliffe
08-17-2007, 01:29 PM

You can string it in two pieces like that with the same string. YOu do that so the whole string bed maintains tension longer.

shaba230
08-17-2007, 01:39 PM
as far as some mains being tighter than others... it may be inconsistent stringing by the stringer. i don't know what it could be other than that. but how can you tell? just by pulling the mains and feeling a difference?

its more common to use a two piece instead of a one piece...even when using the same string...

the string job looks fine...what are you bitc hing about

I am complaining because the mains at the end, and the ones next to the mains (i think thats called 7 & 8 M) are much easier to slide around so when i'm playing I'm constantly putting them back into place. And for some reason the 3M seems SUPER tough to move around so when it gets moved from a ball with a lot of top spin it tears apart the skin on my fingertips to get it back into place.

So I didn't know if this was all because she didn't tie off in the right spots and hence it didn't give all the strings a consistant tension. That's why I'm "bitc hing".

diredesire
08-17-2007, 02:01 PM
I am complaining because the mains at the end, and the ones next to the mains (i think thats called 7 & 8 M) are much easier to slide around so when i'm playing I'm constantly putting them back into place. And for some reason the 3M seems SUPER tough to move around so when it gets moved from a ball with a lot of top spin it tears apart the skin on my fingertips to get it back into place.

So I didn't know if this was all because she didn't tie off in the right spots and hence it didn't give all the strings a consistant tension. That's why I'm "bitc hing".

It's not great, but this is normal. It's debatable whether or not loose outside mains make a difference. Sounds like your stringer has questionable knot tying technique, but that is a whole 'nother story. If the tie off holes are as close as possible to the exit hole of the last main, it's a better-than-not method.

Steve Huff
08-17-2007, 09:04 PM
The last mains lose tension due to the tie-offs. It doesn't matter WHERE they are tied off, they are going to lose some tension. A lot of stringers, including myself, add 4-5# of tension on any tie-off. Another reason they move more easily is that there's less resistance, especially on the last main. There's no "next" string on the outside to help lock it in place. You'll find that the bottom cross and top cross are more easily moved than the other crosses too. Although I use the recommended holes for tying off, none of these will hurt the racket and are not the cause of any worry--other than someone trying to get a free stringjob or something.

shaba230
08-17-2007, 09:45 PM
other than someone trying to get a free string job or something.

I appreciate the implication that I would want my racquet restrung after just using it 4 times...But I do have enough sense to know it's not only pointless if it's not needed but it's wear on my racquet.

I wish people would use their heads sometimes before they type.

TO THE REST OF YOU:

Thank you for confirming that the tie locations are negligible and it was a good string job.

uk_skippy
08-18-2007, 11:13 AM
My only complaint would be the wrong tie-off holes. Why the stringer tied off at 7H when there's a HUGE tie-off hole at 5H questions the experience of the stringer.

The stringer obviously hasn't used the ones as stated in the stringing pattern, but he has considered which are the best alternatives. I'd probably use the same holes. I think these considerations are of an experienced stringer.

Regards

Paul

Gaines Hillix
08-18-2007, 11:32 AM
The last mains lose tension due to the tie-offs. It doesn't matter WHERE they are tied off, they are going to lose some tension. A lot of stringers, including myself, add 4-5# of tension on any tie-off. Another reason they move more easily is that there's less resistance, especially on the last main. There's no "next" string on the outside to help lock it in place. You'll find that the bottom cross and top cross are more easily moved than the other crosses too. Although I use the recommended holes for tying off, none of these will hurt the racket and are not the cause of any worry--other than someone trying to get a free stringjob or something.

I agree with Steve here....my issue with using other holes to tie-off on is that the bg and grommet sets are designed with enlarged holes for the
specified tie-offs. You have to use an awl, maybe some heat and a lot of lube to stretch out a regular grommet hole to get two strings through it. This causes stress on that hole and can lead to premature splitting of the grommet tube. If that happens, the string can contact the frame and cut the string. You can use a grommet grinder and cut that tube out and replace it with a larger one to avoid this, but I don't think that's what she did.

diredesire
08-18-2007, 11:40 AM
GAINES! welcome back, i hope your "stay" is an extended one ;)

Valjean
08-18-2007, 11:41 AM
Except it really isn't so difficult and risky to enlarge a grommet to accommodate two strings using an awl; I've done so successfully many, many times relying just on stringer's wax to help the awl through. The main problem, I've found, isn't likely to be the plastic grommet itself, but working with the first string already in, an avoidable mishap...

Steve Huff
08-18-2007, 07:54 PM
Gaines, you made my day.

Shaba, I didn't mean YOU in particular (unless it fit). I mean people, in general, complain about little things that don't affect have any affect on performance often to get something free. In tennis, it could be a free stringjob.