PDA

View Full Version : My strokes, can I get some advise?

Omisoshiru
08-17-2007, 02:07 PM
Well i finally got a video of my own strokes, they weren't eactly fantastic that day but it can still give the general idea of what I play like. I would love some advise, thanks in advance.

Omisoshiru
08-17-2007, 02:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqo-Ks-dWsM (<--the video)

Verilious
08-17-2007, 02:24 PM
There's something about your backhand that I don't like yet at the same time like...I just think that you should be keeping a constant momentum on your backhand instead of getting it back, dipping it right before contact, then rushing through it. Good stoke on your forehand, just try not to jump back or drag your left foot backwards too much. Your weight should be transferring from your right foot to your left.

=O

habib
08-17-2007, 02:59 PM
Something about your backhand looks very...strange to me. It may be something to do with the position/angle of the hand and racquet at contact, but that's hard to pin-point when you can't progress one frame at a time. But it almost looks as if you're not quite coming over the ball on a topspin shot.

Verilious
08-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Something about your backhand looks very...strange to me. It may be something to do with the position/angle of the hand and racquet at contact, but that's hard to pin-point when you can't progress one frame at a time. But it almost looks as if you're not quite coming over the ball on a topspin shot.

Pretty much what I was thinking.

Venetian
08-17-2007, 06:42 PM
You just look like a younger guy who needs more years of practice to me. Nothing really jumps out as being wrong.

10nisDude~
08-17-2007, 09:08 PM
you should stop moving back on some of your shots...move forward when you make contact with the ball...also rotate your body more when you hit in a closed stance. Another thing, you should move your feet more to catch the balls early on the rise.

Hobomagic
08-17-2007, 09:30 PM
Like others have said before strange backhand otherwise decent strokes. You can bend your knees more for the low balls dont just bend at your waist.

jasoncho92
08-17-2007, 09:49 PM
Well i cant really tell whether or not you are starting with a bent elbow or straight elbow on your backhand due to the angle the camera is set at but it should be bent at the start. And just wondering but how long have you been using a one hander?

DarkTennis
08-17-2007, 10:25 PM
There's something about your backhand that I don't like yet at the same time like...I just think that you should be keeping a constant momentum on your backhand instead of getting it back, dipping it right before contact, then rushing through it. Good stoke on your forehand, just try not to jump back or drag your left foot backwards too much. Your weight should be transferring from your right foot to your left.

=O

use the momentum of your back swing more rather than "arming" the ball or forcing the ball out, it seem like you would get more placement and pace if you keep a constant motion instead of having it stop and hit, well....you sortof due got a constant motion but its not that constant:P it sortof like in middle pauses lol if that make sense

psp2
08-17-2007, 10:31 PM
I like the follow-through on the fh side. Bh looks a bit strange. Bh slice is awkward. You open up way too much.

On one shot you got good footwork, then on another you seem to be lazy and drag your feet. You don't seem to move well forward to low balls. The intensity isn't quite there during your groundies.

Gee Willikers Batman!
08-18-2007, 12:14 AM
What is with all these juniors asking for their rating. That's get annoying as hell. Ask for critiques and your cool, but we are still young and don't need ratings.

Everyone already said what you need to work on.

angelsdemons8600
08-18-2007, 07:30 AM
I think your backhand is very awkward in the sense you are falling off the shot it seems. Try to keep upright and try not to extend the left arm THAT much. Too extreme I say.

supersmash
08-18-2007, 07:46 AM
Yeah, you've got this strange Henin head motion on your backhand.

onehandbh
08-18-2007, 09:06 AM
It appears that the swing path of your backhand isn't quite correct.
The finish is okay, but *how* you get to it is a little off.
Your swing path too much across your body from left to right.
If you initiate your swing a bit more with shoulder turn and trunk
rotation and drive through the ball more it will probably be a bit
more reliable.

wihamilton
08-18-2007, 10:12 AM
stay sideways on your backhand -- you're opening up too much.

Omisoshiru
08-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Thanks, ill keep things things in mind while i play

xz_joey
08-18-2007, 04:10 PM
As other people have said, you're backhand looks a bit weird. I think the reason for this is that at the followthru of ur backhand you don't pronate your hand. For a one-hander you have to kind of use a windshield wiper motion at the end like the one shown here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9az5qWcLOTk&mode=related&search=

Also other things to note are that you should start your backswing with your racquet held high then with fluid motion lower it and come up over the ball. Starting w/ your racquet high and doing a small loop as you hit the ball allows for a better topspin shot.

Hope that helps. I've just recently switched to a one-hander over the course of the summer and these were all things i paid attention to as i was learning.

Hobomagic
08-19-2007, 08:42 AM
your backhand are you keeping the raquet head square? keeping the raquet head square to your arm is a major source of power and consistency. Your take back almost looks like a 2her take back. keep your left arm elbow high and raquet head up on the take back and then dip down.

AlpineCadet
08-20-2007, 12:04 AM
It appears that the swing path of your backhand isn't quite correct.
The finish is okay, but *how* you get to it is a little off.
Your swing path too much across your body from left to right.
If you initiate your swing a bit more with shoulder turn and trunk
rotation and drive through the ball more it will probably be a bit
more reliable.
My volume was up, and when 1:00/1:39 hit on that youtube vid, I jumped out of my seat!

jck01
08-20-2007, 03:07 PM
your backhand are you keeping the raquet head square? keeping the racquet head square to your arm is a major source of power and consistency. . .

Like others have said before strange backhand otherwise decent strokes. You can bend your knees more for the low balls don't just bend at your waist.

I agree with both comments made by Hobomagic. I have fairly consistent backhand and my knees bend a little bit more than what I see on the video.

I also notice that you frequently move back to hit your shots even though you start out right behind the baseline. To be more aggressive, I would try staying closer to the baseline. By moving too much behind the baseline, you're not hitting the ball on the rise, which is something that I would try to change.

Good luck!

Ambivalent
08-20-2007, 04:56 PM
It looks like you're forcing the follow through rather than using it to advance your level of play.