PDA

View Full Version : Durability of Poly/Syn Gut hybrid?

cukoo
08-17-2007, 05:29 PM
I'm used to full poly string job because they forever and I dont really mind the tension loss. Durability is very important since I dont have a stringing machine. Can someone tell me how the durbility of a poly main and syn gut cross hyrid?

cukoo
08-17-2007, 07:32 PM
Bump. Anyone knows, I might string my racquet tommorow. I have my usuall Luxilon BB Original but I also have a spare PSGD, wondering if I should put it in the cross. Being a recreational player that doesnt own a stringing machine, durability is very important. Are poly/syn gut prone to breaking like a full syn gut stringjob?

tbini87
08-17-2007, 11:11 PM
it should last you longer than a full syn gut job. why not just stay with full poly if you need durability? how often do you break strings? i have to cut out a poly syn gut hybrid before i could get close to breaking it, but i am not a string breakers. i think that the strings you are talking about hybriding should work well for durability, so give it a shot.

s.sharm01
08-18-2007, 01:28 AM
Alright well i actually play with 17g pro hurricane and 17g psgd. the hybrid play for about 4-5 hitting sessions at about 3 hours each. The syn gut started to shread/fray and at that point i was expecting it to break.

just a lil side information, i use full western and am a 3.5 player, top spin does kill the durability toh depending on ur game it would last u more or less.

But gluck

cukoo
08-18-2007, 10:46 PM
Yeah, I want to stay with full poly but I hear a hydrid is a little more comfortable but then again durability is important to me also. Is a syn gut cross really going to make a lot of difference in terms of proformance?

denty151
08-19-2007, 01:43 AM
a syn gut cross will definitely soften the the string bed up a considerable amount.
when i used to hit with the O3 Tour i only got a good 3 days out of a full ALU
or SPPP job. But when i strung it up with a hybrid (ektelon powerplay) in the crosses,
i got almost a week and a half out of the set. but i guess my circumstance is a bit
unique because the O-port technology does speed up the process of string breakage up.

cukoo
08-19-2007, 05:41 PM
^Shouldnt it be the oppposite? Shouldnt the full poly stringjob have a longer life than a poly/syn gut stringjob?
Or are you talking about playability?

Pusher
08-19-2007, 06:08 PM
^Shouldnt it be the oppposite? Shouldnt the full poly stringjob have a longer life than a poly/syn gut stringjob?
Or are you talking about playability?

Depends on the player. I've had full poly break in less than an hour whereas a hybrid may last 5-6 hours. For some people, poly tends to shear or notch very heavily. A syngut cross will extend the life of strings in those circumstances.