PDA

View Full Version : Gonzo's Serve?

cukoo
08-17-2007, 05:09 PM
I don't watch pro tennis enough so I was just wondering how is F. Gonzalez's serve? It seems really short and simple. Is it powerful? I've been having trouble and is experimenting with service motion, is Fernando's worth emulating?

Thanks

daddy
08-17-2007, 05:21 PM
NO, flat, too much strenght goes into it, with less technique, Imo he is justa hard working and rock solid guy who uses this to powerfully serve mostly flat serve to diagonal from bth sides and 2nd serve is silly.

laurie
08-18-2007, 01:13 AM
And I also think his poor quality second serve (by pro standards) is one of the reasons why he's not a top 10 player on a consistent basis. You would have thought Larry Stefanki would have tried to work with Fernando on that.

Having said that, look what happened to Henman's shoulder when Larry insisted Henman hit a kicker second serve only in 2002, as opposed to hitting a variety of different second serves like Sampras and Agassi (Agassi was not afraid to go to the forehand on the second serve as a surprise tactic) Henman's second serve became predictable and his body wasn't strong enough to do it.

I'm not sure if Fernando will ever be a consistent performer.

daddy
08-18-2007, 11:08 PM
Out of all flat serves I like Hrbatys most. ROger can read it but face it , he blown all others off court with it ... Goran Ivanisevic was also the on to have a huge flat serve, like roddick and probably many others, problem is , when faced upon the bets, they kind of read and get into these serves well, and then hit power to power, if it goes in its usually a hell of a return winner.

Ljubicic also, just remembered. Croats have a good service school, Djokovic learned from Pilic, their mastermind and a allround good tennis expert, so Karlovic, Ancic, Ljubicic, Ivanisevic and DJokovic all serve pretty well, flat first serve. Even Tipsarevic with high limitations can pose a threat to Safin or others with flat serve when on top form ... but I prefer Fed/Sam precision and tecnique !

lambielspins
08-19-2007, 03:04 PM
Good first serve, not such a good second serve.

hewittboy
08-19-2007, 05:49 PM
His serve is not as outstanding a weapon as his forehand, but it is a weapon nonetheless.