PDA

View Full Version : is it okay for slice to have sidespin?

dima
08-17-2007, 06:07 PM
My slices usually have a lot of sidespin, it works pretty well in matches, but I don't like it, is it a problem with my technique or is it generally fine to have sidespin?

kingkong
08-17-2007, 06:14 PM
yes, slice is sidespin, if you want to hit just underspin hit the ball at 12 o clock instead of 9 o clock

Photoshop
08-17-2007, 07:02 PM
Sure it's okay. Does it stay low tho?

Steady Eddy
08-17-2007, 07:35 PM
Heck yeah! I've heard it called "true slice". It's like the slice golfers often have. Get so you can control it though. With lots of big hitters sneak in one of those and it messes with their rhythm and they will often hit it out.

Noveson
08-17-2007, 07:35 PM
It isn't a problem necessarily, just a different shot. If you don't want to have sidespin(not the shot you were going for) then you just need to change your technique a little. Assuming you are a righty if the ball is flying left your racquet is contacting the ball to far to the inside, the opposite applies if the ball is curving right.

asknowbuylater
08-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Try to hit through the ball with the minimal amount of underspin.

kidwithshirt
08-17-2007, 10:42 PM
like photoshop said if it stays low, then it's fine

I love doing sidespins because a lot of kids i play with just wait for the ball and thinking it would bounce straight up, instead they get astonished by the side spin and get really nervous

Jack Romeo
08-18-2007, 04:35 AM
if you hit a slice down the line off a cross-court shot, it is best if it has sidespin as well as backspin. if it stays low and bounces to the side, it will almost surely cause your opponent to hit off balance.

Supernatural_Serve
08-18-2007, 04:50 AM
if you hit a slice down the line off a cross-court shot, it is best if it has sidespin as well as backspin. if it stays low and bounces to the side, it will almost surely cause your opponent to hit off balance.I have this problem from time to time, and consider it a good problem although I get less depth.

It happens more with a backhand slice down the line versus cross court where I slice through the ball better.

lkdog
08-18-2007, 06:24 AM
I think the sidespin is a result of pulling out of the shot a bit early rather than hitting all the way through it.
Nothing wrong with it and can be a real PITA for the opponent, but it does reduce pace and it can float a bit.

Also if hitting it in response to a harder hit ball crossscourt to you there is more of chance that it can float wide on you if you are going down the line in response.

I use this shot all of the time, especially as an approach down the line.

angelsdemons8600
08-18-2007, 07:27 AM
I have the same problem too.
My slice isn't Federer-like (stays low and barely bounces) but,
it floats and bites the court A LOT. It usually bounces 2-3 feet to the
left because I swipe the ball heavily.

I guess I don't really need it to stay low. I really only use my slice to...

1) Defense and reset the point.
2) Change it up and in this case, I don't need to to stay low when it rebounds off the court with a lot of bite.

krz
08-18-2007, 07:29 AM
You are probably getting jammed/hitting to close to your body.

not really a bad thing sidespin can throw a lot of people off if they don't recognize it comming.

ChocolatePie
08-18-2007, 07:47 AM
Low sidespins seem hard to me. The only way I can do them is if I push it up in the air. My normal slices that stay low just skid really fast across the ground.

EricW
08-18-2007, 07:58 AM
Roddick uses this shot a lot as a down-the-line approach shot

drgnpride
08-18-2007, 03:04 PM
slidespin slice is not a 'problem', it's a weapon. serious sidespin can create a lot of problems for your opponent..

princess bossass
08-18-2007, 03:50 PM
slidespin slice is not a 'problem', it's a weapon. serious sidespin can create a lot of problems for your opponent..

Yeah, I hate playing someone with lots of sidespin--it totally throws me off. I find myself either jammed or stretching at the last minute, and can almost never take the ball early because I have to readjust at the last second. One of my friends kind of "punches" all his forehands--he slices almost EVERYTHING--and he generates no power at all, hardly ever hits past the service line, but he gets me a lot and wins a lot of points because of all the sidespin.

That said, a lot of my so-called "topspin" shots actually have more sidespin than topspin (though they're mostly just flat, LOL!), and it frustrates me to no end that I can't generate "pure" topspin. Eh.

donnygg
08-19-2007, 06:34 AM
If you can't hit slice without side spin, then yes, there's a problem with your technique. Not that side spin is bad but you are supposed to be able to control the type and amount of spin. My guess is you are slicing too far out front or too low. Try slicing more to the side and bending down for low slice to reduce the amount of side spin. And make sure your racquet path is not too parallel to the baseline.