PDA

View Full Version : Laserfibre stringer not working all of a sudden

dennis10is
08-17-2007, 06:23 PM
I have the drop weight and it has been working flawlessly for the past 2 years or so. Last time I strung it, it was behaving a bit strangely, the jaw mechanism slipped of the hinged, it can't completely slip of because the top portion is screw in and revolves around it but the internal mechanism, the stopper, below the jaw had more give than I remember. I don't pay much attention to it because it has been so dependable. I noticed for the first time, that the stopper inside rotates down and has a white plastic protrusion, does this hinged stick out thru the opening? . I can't quite explain it but what happened was that instead of the jaw grabbing the string and then the drop weight drops down, last time it started to lock so that I would have to raise it again and redrop it.

Ok, I thought it was strange but no matter.

Tonight, same thing was happening but now, just as I have the string tensioned, I release my clamps and was moving the clamp (single action) to the new position when the jaw let go of the string and I lost all tension. Tonite, it had happened twice but both times the clamp was still on because I was still tensioning it, this time the weight has settled and boom, jaw let go.

The string was tight in there. No operator error.

Hoping that someone could give me a quick answer. I"m going to contact Tim but this is the weekend and knowing Tim it will take quite a while.

Thanks in advance

dennis10is
08-17-2007, 06:32 PM
Uh, what happened to Stringway?

How do I get support these days?

iplaybetter
08-17-2007, 06:34 PM
i believe alpha is the new distributor try contacting them

SW Stringer
08-17-2007, 09:08 PM
How many string jobs does the machine have on it? Is it possible that something wore out or needs routine maintenance?

dennis10is
08-18-2007, 06:59 PM
How many string jobs does the machine have on it? Is it possible that something wore out or needs routine maintenance?

I have used it only for my personal stringing needs, a luxury item for a lifetime of stringing so I would say 40 times in the past 1.5 years. I've done maintenance on the clamps, cleaning the teeth and turning the screws every 20 stringing.

It has me very concerned because it the jaw and drop weight have been perfect until now. I've left the string on my racket, still mounted, I tensioneed it over and over and everything works but the drop weight does not drop when the string is inside the jaw more often than not now. I have to lift and drop multiple times before the lock would release. So, absolutely something is out of alignment. Left email for New Tech.