PDA

View Full Version : Where will Roddick end the year ranked?

anointedone
08-17-2007, 08:06 PM
Andy Roddick could drop to #5 in the ATP race behind Nikolay Davydenko after Cincinnati, depending how Davydenko does tonight and possibly in upcoming matches in this event. Despite all the events Davydenko plays, Roddick is actually counting about 80 more points in his "best other 5 remaining tournaments" category then Davydenko. Davydenko stands to gain more points in that category at the end of the year, and Roddick would have to compensate by outperforming in the Slams and Masters events, which wont be easy given the seedings of both, and Davydenko also doing well on these surfaces often.

He is currently #4, about 250 points behind Djokovic after this event. He seemingly has almost no chance of catching him. His main fight seems to be with Davydenko for the #4, but you also have Gonzalez who excels in the fall season just over 100 points back, and Ljubicic another very good fall indoor player a bit more back of Gonzalez.

So where will Roddick end the year ranked? Will he by some miracle attain year end #3, will he be year end #4 over Davydenko and his other challengers, year end #5, or even year end #6 or #7, or worse?

My guess is year end #5, which would actually be 1 spot better then last year, but I think he is more likely to be 6 or 7 then 4 all the same. I am picking #5, but 6 or 7 would not surprise me much.

Feņa14
08-17-2007, 08:11 PM
Good idea for a thread. The points you make about Gonzalez and Ljubicic are pretty true so I think the race for the top 8 positions could be really exciting.

As for Roddick, hmm.. if he keeps playing like he has been then it doesn't look too good but I think the best of 5 set matches at the US Open will get his confidence back.

anointedone
08-17-2007, 08:14 PM
I think the U.S Open is key for Roddick. He doesnt typicaly do great in the indoor season, he does pretty well at times, but not great. Davydenko, Gonzalez, and Ljubicic have all done better the last couple years indoors. Plus as I mentioned, Roddick has come much closer to maxing out his realistic "best of 5 remaining tournaments" points, then those others.

anointedone
08-17-2007, 08:17 PM
Also it is looking like he could be the #5 seed at the U.S Open, now that he has dropped his points from last years Cincinnati, regardless how Davydenko ends up doing in the end, so unless the USTA pulls something he should be the #5 seed for the U.S Open. I dont know if he should be expected to go past the quarters. He wont beat Federer, that is a given if they somehow played. Even though Nadal is vurnerable right now, both with the surface and his condition, I still think he is a bad matchup for Roddick. Djokovic, it is hard to see the crowd pulling Roddick through over him either. Davydenko is the only one he wouldnt be a clear underdog for, and that is 50/50 pretty much.

tennishead93
08-17-2007, 08:21 PM
i love it how we bag on roddick so much when he seems to stay in the top 5

Cfidave
08-18-2007, 05:31 AM
i love it how we bag on roddick so much when he seems to stay in the top 5

He finished last year at #6. Blake was the top ranked American.

anointedone
08-19-2007, 03:28 PM
It seems #5 is the most popular consensus now. Since Davydenko lost in the semis to Blake of Cincinnati, I think he will still be #4 in the race by a squeeker, although #5 in the rankings. If he does not outperform Davydenko at the U.S Open, and I honestly dont think he will if he is the #5 seed, then I would expect Davydenko to end the year ranked over Roddick for sure. No way Roddick outperforms him in the indoor season IMO.

flying24
08-19-2007, 07:02 PM
Probably at #5. I dont see him staying in front of Davydenko, if he is even is now. However he should probably stay in front of Ljubicic, who wont get that hot even indoors the way he is going now, or Gonzalez who has come off the boil since Australia.

Commando Tennis Shorts
08-19-2007, 11:45 PM
Everybody acts like Roddick's just some disappointing schmuck since he hasn't won a slam in four years. . .but look who has dominated since then---Federer and Nadal. . .Then I suppose everyone not named Federer or Nadal is a disappointing schmuck