PDA

View Full Version : Can experimenting (demoing) lots of racquets be the cause of arm discomfort?

pmata814
08-17-2007, 08:18 PM
This is sort of a follow-up to another thread here but I didn't want to barge in on his post.

I've been playing for about 2 yrs. now and I can't remember the last time I felt discomfort in my arm or shoulder. I've taken a lot of lessons, as recently as last month actually, and according to the instructor I have very good form on my strokes. But lately I've been experimenting with different racquets, and also experimenting by adding lead, and I've begun to feel pain in my shoulder and symptoms of tennis elbow! Could it be from so much switching of racquets and weight? Here are some of the racquets I've been hitting with:

Tour Diablo MP
Pure Storm Team
Pure Storm Tour
APD

I'm a 3.5 player who takes full, fast and loopy swings. Any opinions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Zets147
08-17-2007, 08:21 PM
It might be some of the racquets that you are trying out. They may not be suited for you (your arm).

pmata814
08-17-2007, 08:26 PM
by the way...the racquet I've been hitting with for the last couple of months is the APD. But after demoing the Pure Storm Tour I really liked how I played (and how it felt) with a heavier and flexier racquet so I've been experimenting with some of the frames in my bag trying to get them to feel like the Pure Storm tour. Just thought this might be relevant.

Bottle Rocket
08-17-2007, 08:39 PM
Of course!

It would be like going running and switching between a bunch of shoes that you have never worn before. You think your feet would feel good after that?

The other issue is the rackets that you're switching between. None of those are great rackets for those that really want to take care of their arm. The diablo has built a reputation for being a fairly stiff and unforgiving racket. No Babolat, even the Storm, is a great racket for a sensitive elbow. I don't know if the Storm Tour specs are accurate or not, but the PC is not a real "healthy" frame for a sensitive elbow.

If you've started playing a lot more than you're used to, started hitting differentl, or just switched between too many rackets, elbow problems are not out of the question. I don't think it is so much about technique as it is your actual contact with the ball. If you don't consistently make clean contact, it can really cause some havoc on your elbow.

My advice is to take some time off, get an elbow brace, find a heavier and softer frame, and be careful.

pmata814
08-17-2007, 09:31 PM
The APD and the Pure Storm Team yes, they feel very stiff. But are you talking about the Diablo MP? I know the Mid has a reputation but the MP is probably the softest racquet that I've hit with. And it does have a stiffness rating of 62. Maybe the extra 1/4" is the culprit...? The Pure Storm Tour also felt pretty soft, though not as much as the Diablo. I thought it was only the Diablo Mid that gave elbow problems?

pmata814
08-18-2007, 08:55 PM
....The diablo has built a reputation for being a fairly stiff and unforgiving racket....

Has anybody else heard this about the Diablo MP? I know the Diablo mid has this rep but I tought the MP was fine?

Deuce
08-18-2007, 10:05 PM
Of course!

It would be like going running and switching between a bunch of shoes that you have never worn before. You think your feet would feel good after that?

The other issue is the rackets that you're switching between. None of those are great rackets for those that really want to take care of their arm. The diablo has built a reputation for being a fairly stiff and unforgiving racket. No Babolat, even the Storm, is a great racket for a sensitive elbow. I don't know if the Storm Tour specs are accurate or not, but the PC is not a real "healthy" frame for a sensitive elbow.

If you've started playing a lot more than you're used to, started hitting differentl, or just switched between too many rackets, elbow problems are not out of the question. I don't think it is so much about technique as it is your actual contact with the ball. If you don't consistently make clean contact, it can really cause some havoc on your elbow.

My advice is to take some time off, get an elbow brace, find a heavier and softer frame, and be careful.
I doubt you'll get a better answer than the one above.

The only thing I'll add is that when you play around with different weights, balances, swingweights, grip sizes, and grip shapes, it can mess up both your arm and your hand.
Not to mention, your game.

pmata814
08-18-2007, 10:22 PM
I doubt you'll get a better answer than the one above.

Yes it is a great answer and I appreciate all the replies. I'm just wondering if he might be confusing the Diablo MP with the Diablo Midsize (93)

fuzz nation
08-19-2007, 07:03 AM
I've done some extensive demoing and while I've never had any real issues in my arm, especially my elbow, I have had some twinges in there when I've tested a bundle of frames. When you constantly apply established muscle memory to swinging different frames, it's easy to irritate soft tissue in your arm, in large part to the extra mishits you'll initially get when you switch.

The scariest thing I experienced was when I tried serving with a frame that was much lighter for me. I was trying to make up for the reduced inertia with greater racquet speed and I got a nasty pain inside the back of my shoulder. After dumping the demo, I was fine in literally a day or two, but I learned my lesson about how old habits in the form of my muscle memories are not easy to reapply on short notice.