PDA

View Full Version : M-fil 300 feeling bulky to swing. Any tweaks?

kidwithshirt
08-17-2007, 11:38 PM
I got a Mfil 300 last month and it's pretty good for the price (got it for 50)

But it feels really bulky when swinging. I am no professional but I guess making it head-light or head-heavy would help (one of the another)

When i bought this racquet it was a 1/4" grip, but i needed a 3/8 so the seller added a layer of something like Styrofoam and a normal grip over it

apart from that the racquet right now is

Balance: 3pts Head Light
Swingweight: 317

according to TW

Strung with some really crappy synthetic gut at 58.

-

I am a beginner started 2-3 month ago. I can play with my high school teamates (and beat them) that played 1-3 years.

I think tweaking this racquet is vital in order for me to improve, so any ideas would be lovely

s.sharm01
08-18-2007, 01:53 AM
um. if its swinging heavy there are really two choices.

1. Get your body used to it. Often using a new racquet especially if its head heavy or just heavier in general it does seem to swings heavier, especially if you haven't used something like that.
2. Add weight to the handle. You can either tape some lead and put it in the trap door if the 300 has one, or you can put it under the grip. I have read that there is no way to decrease the swingweight. but doing this makes it easier to swing just because more of the weight is towards the hand. But note that doing this will slightly decrease the power of the racquet.

(not all that technical of an explanation just cause i don't have the technical knowledge)

But lead tape is cheap and its fun to experiment.

Steve H.
08-18-2007, 03:33 AM
I'd go with #1 -- you already have an extra 1/2 ounce on the frame with the built-up grip, and adding additional weight there will just slow it down more; there's really no easy way to make it swing lighter. If you've only been playing a few months you are still figuring out your strokes, maybe get some coaching and keep playing and you should pick up power and confidence. Along the way maybe try out some other frames (demos or from friends) and then you can figure out what you like over time.

dave333
08-18-2007, 05:18 AM
Add a bit at the butt of the racquet. Open the buttcap trapdoor with a screwdriver and use lead tape, superglue+tape dimes, etc. to the little piece. I once felt the m-fil 300 was kinda bulky too and found this helped.

AndrewD
08-18-2007, 08:16 AM
I am a beginner started 2-3 month ago. I can play with my high school teamates (and beat them) that played 1-3 years.

I think tweaking this racquet is vital in order for me to improve, so any ideas would be lovely

If you've only been playing for 2-3 months then modifying/tweaking a racquet is the very least of your concerns.

1. Learn to play (no-one, within 2-3 months of starting tennis, can effectively hit all of the shots).
2. Develop 'feel'
3. Develop a style of game (that doesn't happen in 2-3 months)

When you've done all of that you will have developed an understanding of what you need most in a racquet - the balance, weight and swingweight that best suits your game.

kidwithshirt
08-18-2007, 10:40 AM
I will try adding weight to the butt cap, thanks guys

louis netman
08-18-2007, 06:09 PM
I will try adding weight to the butt cap, thanks guys

Agree about learning the game first, and also agree that the Mfil 300 requires added mass.

Also, you may want to stay away from this forum as many posts may lead you to think that you have to tweak your frame to become better. IMO, tweaking is for players who already have developed fundamentals. Find a quality frame that you can swing that has a big enough sweetspot to reliably hit and find yourself a good instructor from the getgo.. :-)

Azrael
08-18-2007, 06:29 PM
Along with getting used to it, you could trim bits off of the bumper at the top of the frame...that would increase headlightness and reduce swingweight, thus making it easier to swing. Of course trimming is non reversible, so you should cut really tiny amounts off at a time.

akoni
08-18-2007, 09:58 PM
if the racket is too light for you then i would consider adding some weight. but if the weight is just about right, i would be less concerned about swingweight, balance, etc. you just started learning the game and i think it would be hard to determine what you need in a racket especially when you are still learning the fundamentals.

jlambertou
08-19-2007, 09:03 PM
Just get used to it; it is not a heavy racquet! ;)

But I agree that putting a dime or two in the butt is a good idea. Both of my MF300s have some extra weight in the butt, one with a built-up handle.

I used to use a lighter racquet, and the MF300 felt a bit heavy to me when I first started, then I got used to it. Then I added some lead at 3 and 9 (just a gram) and I could feel the difference, but then I got used to it. Then I added a couple more grams and that felt heavy, but I got used to it too, and feels great and solid. I still tend to hit too fast / too soon crosscourt sometimes, so i've thought of adding even more, but it's basically a timing issue.

All that said, the poster who told you to not read any of this stuff for a few months and just practice with the racquet as you have it was right. Don't distract yourself right now with alterations, just keep having fun learning. Your muscles will get used to using what you have anyway.

Also, you made a very good choice learning on a balanced racquet like the MF300 rather than something marketed for beginners which you would outgrow soon. Enjoy it!