PDA

View Full Version : Any former WTA players coaching at the pro level?

Dennis Anyone?
08-18-2007, 12:23 AM
Seems to be a much more common pursuit among former ATP players. Some men who had modest accomplishments as players have had good success coaching the next generation of players. What about the WTA?

Jack Romeo
08-18-2007, 05:24 AM
amelie mauresmo was coached by a former WTA pro (alexia dechaume-balleret). i thought arantxa sanchez-vicario was coaching svetlana kuznetsova for a while. hana mandlikova coached jana novotna in the 90's, but i don't know if she is coaching anyone now. also in 1990, billie jean king coached martina navratilova and former ATP player tim mayotte (that was the year navratilova won her 9th wimbledon singles title, though she also had another coach aside from king - craig kardon).

princess bossass
08-18-2007, 11:16 AM
I think Mirka is federer's life coach.;)

Dennis Anyone?
08-18-2007, 02:28 PM
Good info, Jack Romeo. Let's hope more former WTA players share their hard-won wisdom with the next generation of women.

princess, I'm glad Roger seems to really appreciate the contribution Mirka makes to his success.

ohlori
08-18-2007, 04:32 PM
amelie mauresmo was coached by a former WTA pro (alexia dechaume-balleret). i thought arantxa sanchez-vicario was coaching svetlana kuznetsova for a while. hana mandlikova coached jana novotna in the 90's, but i don't know if she is coaching anyone now. also in 1990, billie jean king coached martina navratilova and former ATP player tim mayotte (that was the year navratilova won her 9th wimbledon singles title, though she also had another coach aside from king - craig kardon).

...and Mandlikova was coached by Betty Stöve

Dennis Anyone?
08-18-2007, 11:29 PM
...and Mandlikova was coached by Betty Stöve

As as aside, the Dutch music group Bettie Serveert is named for their countrywoman, former champ Betty Stove. The band's name means "Bettie to serve" or "Bettie serves."

ohlori
08-19-2007, 05:40 AM
As as aside, the Dutch music group Bettie Serveert is named for their countrywoman, former champ Betty Stove. The band's name means "Bettie to serve" or "Bettie serves."

Bettie serveert was also a book of tennis instructions from Stöve, from the 70ies or 80ies. I saw it in a second hand bookshop a few years ago.
She was also one of the founders of the WTA.

...and the Dutch pride also has an entry in urbandictionary:grin: :

1. Betty Stove's blurt

a certain type of vagina. Named after the famous Dutch tennis player of the seventies.Made universally famous by the boys from IMBRFC.

see thon Rodin O'Gaga-he's got a haircut on him like Betty Stove's blurt.

laurie
08-19-2007, 05:48 AM
Arantxa was and is more of a mentor than a coach to Svetlana.

Gigi Fernandez has been coaching Sam Stosur and a few other players.

I don't think you will ever see many women coaches.