PDA

View Full Version : Racquet technology continuity

jcwg74
08-18-2007, 05:08 AM
I am much more impressed by racquet builders who carry over their racquet technologies from generation to generation. For example, I believe that the current range of Dunlops includes their new technology, Aerogel, but also includes the last two as well, MFil and Hotmelt graphite. In contrast, I am nonplussed by a company like Head, which just a few short years ago was attempting to convince us that Liquidmetal was going to revolutionize the game of tennis, but has since dropped Liquidmetal like a bad habit with the emergence of their next technology that will change the sport, Microgel.
By carrying over technologies from one generation to the next a racquet builder communicates to the consumer that they actually believe that their technologies enhance their frames, and are worthy of using over the long haul. By dumping one technology after another for the next big thing, a racquet builder instead sends the message that their technologies are mere marketing ploys.
Other than the switch from wood to graphite, what is the racquet technology that has had the longest legs?

svallam
08-18-2007, 05:16 AM
I am wondering whether wood racquets also have new technologies like today

meowmix
08-18-2007, 05:55 AM
I think it's got to be Wilson's PWS. Think it came out in the 80's with the Prostaff 6.0's, but I'm not sure...

Supernatural_Serve
08-18-2007, 06:00 AM
By dumping one technology after another for the next big thing, a racquet builder instead sends the message that their technologies are mere marketing ploys.

Other than the switch from wood to graphite, what is the racquet technology that has had the longest legs?

They are in the marketing business more than they are in the engineering of equipment because the marketing ploys work.

Look at the TW racquet and equipment threads. Listen to the ad-nauseum about equipment minutia.

insiderman
08-18-2007, 08:45 AM
All any of them, (rackets) are over-priced & 'glorified' string-holders. Spend your $$$ where it is most important - the part that actually hits the ball.

Yea, the strings...

Ljubicic for number1
08-18-2007, 04:20 PM
Not the longest but its been around a while now is Prince Triple Threat weighting.

Jr.
08-18-2007, 05:59 PM
Seriously, I think that only technology that works is PWS. Everything else is just BS.

soggyramen
08-18-2007, 07:24 PM
i think any of them that focus on the material the racquet is made out of is real (liquidmetal, carbon extreme, ncode) i think cosmetic things like the metalixs from head, flexpoint, V-engine from vokl are all for show, the only i can say for sure is real is the O3 and O3 Speedport technologies from prince.

Ljubicic for number1
08-19-2007, 06:55 AM
Seriously, I think that only technology that works is PWS. Everything else is just BS.

How is it that PWS works and Triple Threat doesnt?

Mad iX
08-19-2007, 07:44 AM

Add IPS to that.

Racketdesign
08-19-2007, 04:12 PM

Because PWS in its origional form was a mass of material strategicly placed to increase stability. Tripple threat was a decal stuck onto a racquet in 3 places and pretended to use all sorts of fancy materials.