PDA

View Full Version : k90-Two Hander

brayman9
08-18-2007, 04:59 AM
today a man got in his new k90's in our pro shop. Then he asked me if i wanted to hit so he could try them out. I noticed though that he hit a two handed backhand. Something i thought didn't work well with such a small heavy frame. I could be wrong but does that seem odd off a racquet choice for a two hander. Thanks

nickb
08-18-2007, 05:02 AM
The k90 can work with any style...past pro's used the PS85 with a 2 handed backhand. One of my hitting partners has a great 2HBH and uses the n90.

samrocksmyshire
08-18-2007, 12:14 PM
i just busted out both my n90 and k90. i didn't notice the difference cause i have a 1 handed backhand. but my brother often uses both and he just said he actually prefers the shorter handle on the k90. weird, huh?

Rafa freak
08-18-2007, 12:19 PM
Not a good idea.

brayman9
08-18-2007, 12:41 PM
Not a good idea.

You mean a two hander with the k90

nickb
08-18-2007, 12:45 PM
There is no reason why you cant hit a great 2HBH with the k90 if you have good technique.

jkonecne
08-18-2007, 01:06 PM
Both Hewitt and Safin hit 2hbhs and use a small head.

Bottle Rocket
08-18-2007, 01:09 PM
People can't hit a clean ball with a two-hander? Am I missing something?

I'd really love for someone to explain the correlation between headsize and someones stroke style.

jmverdugo
08-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Jo11yroger (a Tennis Talk member) have like 14 n90 and he hits pretty well his THBH.

boobik2371
08-18-2007, 01:17 PM
i use the fxp prestige mid with a two hander i dont mind it

LafayetteHitter
08-18-2007, 01:42 PM
I saw this guy Safin using a midsized Prestige hitting pretty decent two handed backhands the other day. It can be done...
Seriously though, it's odd that so many people think a mid frame can only be used by one handers.

fgs
08-18-2007, 02:03 PM
for players having decent technique, hitting a twohander with a midframe (any midframe) should be no problem whatsoever. 25-30 years ago i used to hit very decent twohanders with those tiny woodframes (donnay borg pro, slazenger challenge no.1) - so there is no correlation between frame size and twohanders. the only issue is technique, be it for a onehander or a twohander.

ChocolatePie
08-18-2007, 02:33 PM
2 of the top players on my high school team use a n90 with a two-handed backhand. The singles 2 has a k95 and uses a two-handed backhand as well. All of these players are really good. Me though, I'm like doubles 3 on varsity xD

brayman9
08-18-2007, 04:33 PM
ok thanks

MYTH BUSTED:

SMALL FRAME ONEHANDER ONLY NOT!!!

dave333
08-18-2007, 05:03 PM
Whats the problem with 2 hander+small headsize?

Or is it a short grip thingy?...

Klatu Verata Necktie
08-18-2007, 05:34 PM
Could it be that the real giants of tennis tend to define technique and equipment in the minds of many tennis fans. For instance, Sampras used a small head size and a one handed backhand. Federer uses a small head size and a one handed backhand.

The player who defined baseline play for me with a two handed backhand was Andre Agassi, and he used a large head size.

For the record, I play with a K90 and use a two handed backhand. It needs some work, though ;) I have just as much success using the K90 as I do with my old Donnay Pro One Oversize.

quest01
08-18-2007, 08:22 PM
Thats a great question because i have had trouble using the k90 with my two handed backhand. I demoed the k90 and the only aspect i hated was that i struggled more hitting my two handed backhand compared to other rackets i have used. I thought about buying this racket but decided not to because my struggles hitting a 2 handed backhand. The k90 in my opinion seems like the kind of racket suited towards people with a one handed backhand because of the small headsize. It just feels odd using a two hander with that small of a headsize. However the best aspect i found with the k90 was approach shots and especially volleys. Also my backhand slice was superb with the k90.

Mad iX
08-18-2007, 11:04 PM
There's no real reason why a K90 or any other mid would be unsuitable for a 2hbh. It's just preference.

Roger_federer
08-18-2007, 11:14 PM
I am thinking of getting a K90 or RDS 001 to and I am a two hander. More people please give your opinions. This is a great thread.

Autumnleaf
08-18-2007, 11:28 PM
I Don't think that the size of the frame would be an issue. But the size of the grip maybe

brayman9
08-19-2007, 07:28 AM
I am thinking of getting a K90 or RDS 001 to and I am a two hander. More people please give your opinions. This is a great thread.

Finnaly I made a thread that people actualy liked:p

Shashwat
08-19-2007, 08:12 AM
I was using the PS 85 yesterday. I hit clean 2hbh winners. And a ton of passing shots.

guedoguedo
03-28-2008, 07:53 PM
I hit with a d1 college player who uses the prestige tour mid and has an absolutely nasty and explosive 2hbh.

[K]aotic
03-28-2008, 08:26 PM
I hit with a d1 college player who uses the prestige tour mid and has an absolutely nasty and explosive 2hbh.

well he IS D1... he should have a nasty explosive backhand. haha :)

leonardtay
03-29-2008, 06:14 AM
I find that the shorter pallet bothers me as my left hand on a two handed backhand tends to overlap onto the end edge of the leather grip... having said that I use a one handed backhand, was just fooling around with the 2hbh the other day.

iplaybetter
03-29-2008, 06:17 AM
just look at jolly, but i have seen plenty of 2hb with them, and a friend uses the n90 and hits a two

bcast66
03-29-2008, 09:10 AM
i actually like small heavy frames for my 2hb. if i use anything above 95inches i get a really weird feeling, cant explain it just doesent do the job. the 93 below are my sweetspot.

Robert Johnson
03-29-2008, 09:40 AM
Had my K90's for a month or so and my two hander feels perfect with it. I came from a PS Classic 95 and had the same doubts as you, but a few hits in and i felt i was hitting better than the 95. I also used the one handed slice a lot more with this frame for some reason - mixing up the slice and the big two hander has really improved that side of my game.

Guess the best thing is to demo and see if its for you or not.

GL

roddick89
03-29-2008, 11:14 AM
It might look a little strange just cos were used to seeing Fed rip his one hander with the k90 (or at least a pj k90) but i dont see why you wouldnt be able to hit a good 2HBH with a smaller head and like someone said before, Safin who has an amazing two hander, uses a mid size head.

quest01
03-29-2008, 12:31 PM
There is no reason why you cant hit a great 2HBH with the k90 if you have good technique.

There is no reason why someone couldn't hit a decent 2 hander with the K90 but its a lot easier hitting a two hander with a midplus.

From personal experience my 2 hander was not as good with the K90 compared to midplus racquets.

Djokovicfan4life
03-29-2008, 12:49 PM
My 13 year old brother uses a two-hander with a K90 with solid results.

KFactor27
03-29-2008, 01:51 PM
I've seen people use a K90 for a 2hbh with solid results. The 1hbh looks 10X better with it but it still works fine.

ChocolatePie
03-29-2008, 02:33 PM
The n90 I have no problem hitting two handers with. The K90 I have a little more trouble though.

soggyramen
03-29-2008, 03:40 PM
i have 2 prostaff tour 90's and i use a two hander and i still hit fine.

julianoz
03-29-2008, 04:19 PM
The n90 I have no problem hitting two handers with. The K90 I have a little more trouble though.

Why do you think that is? Just curious

80'stennis
03-29-2008, 06:33 PM
A 2HBH with the K90 is not a problem for me. But I do have medium sized hands and keep them close together gripwise. I know that some people spread their hands pretty far apart on their 2-handers (think Roddick), so the shorter grip on the K90 (vs N90) might pose a problem for some.

I prefer the swing of a midsize head. I like the way smaller heads cut through the air. And my 2-hander doesn't suffer for it. In fact I even like hitting my 2-hander better with the PS85. But this is for my game. We all like different feels, which is why as many have suggested you just have to demo.

J011yroger
03-30-2008, 05:54 AM
A 2HBH with the K90 is not a problem for me. But I do have medium sized hands and keep them close together gripwise. I know that some people spread their hands pretty far apart on their 2-handers (think Roddick), so the shorter grip on the K90 (vs N90) might pose a problem for some.

I prefer the swing of a midsize head. I like the way smaller heads cut through the air. And my 2-hander doesn't suffer for it. In fact I even like hitting my 2-hander better with the PS85. But this is for my game. We all like different feels, which is why as many have suggested you just have to demo.

The shorter pallet bothered me for about a week, until I built up callouses where the grip was different, and now I don't even notice.

I thought I was going to need to have custom handles molded, but now I play fine. I wrap my overgrip up to the bottom of the yoke, and for some shots part of my top hand is off the pallet but it doesn't bother me enough to justify spending the money.

J

NoBadMojo
03-30-2008, 06:42 AM
The issue w. this frame <and frames like it> isnt one hand or two...it's all about swing paths and grips. This frame doesnt work all that well <even with many advanced players> for people who have abrupt swing paths and extreme grips. There can always be the occassional exception and the usual reverseness of racquet selection applies.

Voltron
03-30-2008, 06:52 AM
ok thanks

MYTH BUSTED:

SMALL FRAME ONEHANDER ONLY NOT!!!

I don't understand....:confused:

Robert Johnson
03-30-2008, 07:01 AM
The shorter pallet bothered me for about a week, until I built up callouses where the grip was different, and now I don't even notice.

I thought I was going to need to have custom handles molded, but now I play fine. I wrap my overgrip up to the bottom of the yoke, and for some shots part of my top hand is off the pallet but it doesn't bother me enough to justify spending the money.

J

Jolly you've just jogged my memory reading that. I remember the second time i went out with it i ended up with blood all over my K90 and left hand (im right handed). I must of adapted my grip which in turn rubbed the inside of my index finger to the point of drawing blood.

No probs now though - worth the loss of blood:)

J011yroger
03-30-2008, 07:04 AM
Yea on me it tore up my ring finger on the side that faces my middle finger.

I spread my hands for flat and bunch them for top.

Will try to find a pic of how I wrap my grips.

J

saqdeez
03-30-2008, 07:24 AM
jollyroger, it looks like you took your videos down. Do you have one available so i can see some 2hbh/groundstrokes with the k? And dont tell me to wait until spring or i will be very upset!!

J011yroger
03-30-2008, 07:34 AM
jollyroger, it looks like you took your videos down. Do you have one available so i can see some 2hbh/groundstrokes with the k? And dont tell me to wait until spring or i will be very upset!!

I took the 07 vids down, because I will start putting up 08 vids soon.

I plan to be outdoors starting next week, so you won't have to wait very long.

Don't have anything of me on video since I switched to the K Switched 01-01-08 Right after the U.S. Indoor Nats.

J

J011yroger
03-30-2008, 07:39 AM
Quick shot of grip wrapping from my hotel room.

http://i32.tinypic.com/2d7j340.jpg

J

quest01
03-30-2008, 09:44 AM
Wow, that overgrip is high.

bcast66
03-30-2008, 12:53 PM

J

lol i do the same thing with my prestiges hahaha.

string70
03-30-2008, 01:01 PM
I've seen people use a K90 for a 2hbh with solid results. The 1hbh looks 10X better with it but it still works fine.

How can a racket make a backhand look 10x better. Oy Vey.

[K]aotic
03-30-2008, 01:15 PM

J
You should have gotten the black super six. Looks way better because its what i have. 8-)

80'stennis
03-30-2008, 05:43 PM
J--
I'm around here so I'm sure you've talked a lot about it before, but just curious where your n-codes fit into the picture. Do you play them still? Can you give a couple sentence comparison between your n90s and k90s? Thinking about getting an n90, which I've never played. (I have some k90s and some ps85s.) Thanks!

J011yroger
03-30-2008, 07:20 PM
J--
I'm around here so I'm sure you've talked a lot about it before, but just curious where your n-codes fit into the picture. Do you play them still? Can you give a couple sentence comparison between your n90s and k90s? Thinking about getting an n90, which I've never played. (I have some k90s and some ps85s.) Thanks!

I have given away most of my N90s.

From a performance/playing standpoint, they are very very similar.

If I had 20 brand new identical N90s (Or could get them for decent deal) I wouldn't have switched.

But since my stock N90s were so far apart spec wise, and they were starting to flex out, I switched on 1-1-08.

The N has a more consistient stringbed, the K has a hotter one.

The K has more bite, and comes around faster.

The K has more feel, the N is more muted.

The K has more sting/packs more of a wallop. (Probably exagerated because my N90s were flexing out.)

I strung my N90s at 58 and I thought that was perfect for them. Played the Ks at 58 for two months and 58 was too lose, so went to 60, been playing 60 for about 3 weeks and will go to 62 on my next batch which should be perfect.

All frames strung on a star 5.

I wrote some other stuff, will try to find my old quotes.

J

J011yroger
03-30-2008, 07:33 PM
Here ya go, these were from august before I settled on the 14.3 oz final weight, and before I raised tension.

My initial assessments. I will write a final update at the end of april/may after I have spent some quality time outdoors with them and finally get dialed in.

Just leaded up my 3 K90s with the same setup I have on my N90s.

Gonna be making the switch around January, so figured I had best find a nice setup and see if I will have to have the handles done aswell.

Early review after 2 hours of hitting tonite (Minus 15 minutes of talking to a complete stranger who walked on to our court and said "Hey! Are you Jollyroger?")

WOW!

More detailed review to follow after I hit with them again this weekend.

J

Ok,

****Disclaimer****

The review below is from my point of view, and is compared to my Ncode 90s that I have been using for 2 years. The 90s are NOT powerful racquets by themselves, and these are especially heavy. I do not reccomend this frame to anyone who does not posess good coordination, and sufficient racquethead speed to consistiently hit the ball deep with the frame. I am an open tournament player, with hellish batspeed, I can break ALU Rough in under 2 hours. I hit HARD with heavy heavy topspin. Not trying to convince anyone to like or dislike this frame, just giving my point of view.

****Disclaimer****

As promised I have hit this weekend with my leaded K90s.

The setup is the same as my Ncodes. 380g 5phl.

Weight at 12, and just above the grip. (Going to put the weight inside the handle, silly me didn't realize it had a trapdoor.)

Strung with ALU Rough at 58lb.

First thought. "Man this thing comes around quick"

Second thought. "I am definately going to have to get the handles done."

Third thought. "Wow, you can really feel this thing bend."

I am very very impressed with how the leaded version plays. It swings like a whip, and hits like a freight train.

The stringbed was very 'hot' with the ball really jumping off of it on blocked shots, going to take some time to dial that in.

Angles and such were lovely, huge improvement on BH slice compared to the N. BH slice I felt that I really had to hit it perfectly with the Ncode, while with the K it seemed like I really had to botch the shot to get the ball to sit up, and when I really laid into one it seemed almost unfair how good it was.

The short pallet really bothered me on the two hander, and rubbed uncomfortably, but the shots were still pretty good.

Forehands, pace, spin, all that good stuff. ISO was very stout with the K, CC needs a bit more dialing in. Angles were great, actually found myself hitting a bit more angle than I wanted sometimes.

Serves, I can't blame the racquet. I have been doing minimal serving do to back problems for the last little while, and being locked up/in pain jived with my motion aswell. But I squared a few up and all I can say is "Yee Ha". They were making the right sound they just weren't going the right place. Like a few other areas, once I get it dialed in, look out. Gonna be putting up some gaudy numbers on the gun first and 2nd serves.

I actually thought the N would be better at net because of the denser pattern in the middle of the racquet, but the K was the one I liked better. (Maybe I am not hitting the middle of the racquet) Probably because of the better feel.

The thing that really impressed was how the K bailed me out when I was in trouble. I could come up with some offensive shots on the run, or from a defensive position.

The thing that didn't impress was how the ball flew on me, but once again, just an adjustment in getting used to the frame. I am really surprised with how much hotter the stringbed was.

My FH return is the weakest part of my game, and I really put some good swings on my opponent's serves, serves that I would have had to block back recently. (I am not sure if it is how quickly the racquet comes around, or just that my wrist keeps getting stronger by the week and my FH return of serve, and high flat FH are the last two things to come back.)

BH return is one of my best shots, and as usuall was pretty impressive.

All in all, I love this thing. Definitely gonna have to have the pallets done, and it is for sure gonna take me a month to get used to the frame, but I am planning to get myself enough to last a long long time.

It is EXTREMELY tempting to jack up the tension on this racquet, but I am gonna give it some more time. Tight strings are like a safety blanket for me, but I am convinced that looser is the way to go. When I am wailing away, it is great, but when I take pace off, I was hitting long, and when I was just blocking the ball flew a bit. I am convinced that it will just take some getting used to.

Preparing to switch in Jan/08

J

Jo11y,

What did you think about the K90 in the 'feel' department? That's one of its strengths, I've found. ;)

Best,

CC

It is nice, but not necessary for my style of play. Kind of an added bonus. I need to spend some more time with it inside the service box.

I was very surprised that you could actually feel the frame bending when you were hitting off the ground.

It definately has tons of feel, but I am used to an N90 with full poly, which is numb to say the least.

It is a very strange racquet in that it feels like it is softer than it is, and hits like it is stiffer than it is.

J

J

supermario343
03-30-2008, 07:39 PM
aotic;2205418']You should have gotten the black super six. Looks way better because its what i have. 8-)

Gotta love the Tour 90 :) I have white overgrip on mine as well...and I use a 2HB and hit winners all the time with it....who wants to play :-P

J011yroger
03-30-2008, 07:43 PM
aotic;2205418']You should have gotten the black super six. Looks way better because its what i have. 8-)

It wouldn't match my old bag, rolling bag, duffel bag, court bag, tournament bag, 2 backpacks, and laptop case though.

Besides I got the stuff from Wilson before they had the black bags.

J

[K]aotic
03-30-2008, 07:55 PM
It wouldn't match my old bag, rolling bag, duffel bag, court bag, tournament bag, 2 backpacks, and laptop case though.

Besides I got the stuff from Wilson before they had the black bags.

J

ahh i c. 10char

Ultra2HolyGrail
03-30-2008, 08:08 PM
The k90 is not ideal for the two hander, something stiff and widebody i think fits the two hander better, maybe extra lenth also. Serves and volleys are it's strongest points. For just baseline bashing the mighty pure drive would be better.

ledor
03-30-2008, 08:35 PM
k90 could not be ideal, but not limited for 2hbh's. Use whatever you want and use good technique.

80'stennis
03-30-2008, 10:52 PM
J, thanks for the review and comparison. Definitely gives me some understanding of the n90 before hitting with it. BTW I like the k90 for many of the reasons you mention. Thanks. :)

crawl4
03-30-2008, 11:07 PM
Both Hewitt and Safin hit 2hbhs and use a small head.

what size?

NicolasH
03-30-2008, 11:26 PM
Jim Courier, Jimmy Connors, Chris Evert, Bjorn Borg, Marat Safin, Goran Ivanisevic all had two handed backhands and played 'small' rackets.

Santoro has a relatively 'small' racket and he plays with two hands on both sides...

Racket has nothing to do with it. If you can play you can play.

Cheers,
n.

J011yroger
03-31-2008, 04:37 AM
Doesn't Monfils use a mid aswell?

J

NicolasH
03-31-2008, 08:14 AM
The list is endless of players with 'small' frames and two handed backhands: Bjorkman, Kafelnikov, Djokovic, Tsonga.

There are tons of doubles players on tour who play smaller frames and have two handed backhands.

Cheers,
n.