PDA

View Full Version : Raket For Girl Friend

Leon22
08-18-2007, 05:42 AM
Well, My girl friend started playing tennis this summer with me. She gets her serves in, she can volley and keep the ball in play. She uses an eastern grip for her forehand and serve (trying to convert her serve to continental for the serve), her back hand is standard 2hbh. The thing is she really has no power at all, she is 5'4'' and 115lbs. She doesn't really put any spin on the ball, but that might change once we take a couple of lessons.

So she would like to get a racket for $100.00 or less total. If there are options that cost more feel free to metion them. Again she's looking for a racket that can be played with now, but used even after she progresses to the higher levels.

Just looking for a few suggestions to start the hunt. Thanks, Leon.

Gorecki
08-18-2007, 06:30 AM
I'm giving my Girl a W5 Divine Iris. it's pricey but she just loves it (i think it is a lovely womens racquet) and she deserves it for all the encouragement she is giving me on my tennis progression.

this may be an idea for you... although its bit off price for your ideal. but you can always search at the auction sites for a better bargain on that stick.

IanRichardson
08-18-2007, 06:47 AM
the prince hybrid hornet is good for lower level players but will work for players who have progressed some as well. I am not sure how much it costs but i am fairly sure it is more than $100 but you wont need another racquet for a while with that one.

Shashwat
08-18-2007, 07:15 AM
Buy her the Serena racquet with gold on it. ;)

danix
08-18-2007, 07:17 AM
I recently posted something similar. My wife really likes the Babolat Pure Drive (mine is the Roddick, but I think I will get her the lighter non-Roddick model).
Demo a few things from Tennis Warehouse - even a beginner can form an opinion on racquets after a while!

ChocolatePie
08-18-2007, 07:44 AM
Dunlop M-Fil 300?

abenguyen
08-18-2007, 07:59 AM
the prince hybrid hornet is good for lower level players but will work for players who have progressed some as well. I am not sure how much it costs but i am fairly sure it is more than $100 but you wont need another racquet for a while with that one.

that or the prince hybrid shark. both racquets are under 100 dollars here on tennis warehouse

Steve H.
08-18-2007, 08:49 AM
Prince Scream OS -- $52.95 shipped! It's a great beginner's racquet. Or if she doesn't like the name or the color (bright yellow) the ThunderCloud is essentially the same thing. Gamma Ipex 3.0 is another possibility. The Shark's good too, although a bit heavier, but the M-fil 300 is too low-powered for a female beginner.

Leon22
08-18-2007, 11:06 AM
Anyone know if the W series for Wilson is good? Like this: Wilson W6 Wild Crimson (http ://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-W6WC.html) or this: Wilson W4 Red Fury (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-W4RF.html)

I ask because looks are a factor for my girl friend. Not to say she is buying her racket based on that, but if she can get something for the right price that plays well and looks good she'd rather do that.

I say she has no power... But, the racket she is playing with is dead flat, even I have trouble generating power out of it. So we have to be careful, cause I think if it is to trampolinish she might me hitting them long... Well I guess we are going to have to go try a couple soon.

king of swing
08-18-2007, 11:34 AM
my sister and the girls tennis coach for my school both use this racket http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-W4CS.html
the Wilson W4 Cobalt Storm

My sister mentioned that she really likes it... from the specs its pretty high powered and I would say Its perfect for beginning women.... if thats to pricey then I know a girl that uses the blue steel in the W line but its more for upper beginner and moderate tennis players..... seeing how its heavier and it power level is pretty low and you need a fast swing

Leon22
08-18-2007, 11:49 AM
my sister and the girls tennis coach for my school both use this racket http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-W4CS.html
the Wilson W4 Cobalt Storm

My sister mentioned that she really likes it... from the specs its pretty high powered and I would say Its perfect for beginning women.... if thats to pricey then I know a girl that uses the blue steel in the W line but its more for upper beginner and moderate tennis players..... see how its heavier and it power level is pretty low and you need a fast swing

Yeah, I'm not sure. Cause I forgot that here current racket is completely dead with no power and she still manages to play alright. So I think she'll go out and demo the W4 and the W6 series. After doing some reading, they seem to be pretty good rackets for a decent price, so worth trying. Along with a couple of the Prince's suggested.

soggyramen
08-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Prince Hybrid Shark or Hybrid Hornet
Wilson n-fury and it can be leaded up as she goes along if she finds it too light
Head Liquidmetal 4
maybe an airflow or W line if you can get the cash

Steve H.
08-18-2007, 11:55 AM
the W4 would play a lot like Scream or ThunderCloud. If you like the appearance better and are willing to go the extra 50 bucks, I'd say go for it!

by the way, trampolining is more a function of string tension than the frame itself -- as long as you don't string any of these too loose there shouldn't be a problem -- actually, if the one she's using now is too tight that could account for the deadness. Order the middle of the range and she should be OK.

Leon22
08-18-2007, 11:58 AM
Yeah the W4 is $99.00 and maybe will be the better fit. But, The W6 is $89.00, but is more of a players racket, that she might have trouble with, but if not could use for a long time I'm guessing. Were gonna have to go out try them.

Rafa freak
08-18-2007, 12:01 PM
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-SERENA.html
You could get her this one although it is 5 times to much.
but this one would be great for her.http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCBAB-BPSTRM.html

Steve H.
08-18-2007, 12:26 PM
W6 wouldn't be so good, much harder to play with. Swingweight is 330 instead of 306, the head is smaller, and it's a lot more flexible so will have less power. Anyway, good luck!

Commando Tennis Shorts
08-18-2007, 12:51 PM
Dunlop M-Fil 300?

Yes, either that or the 400.

Jeronimo
08-18-2007, 12:57 PM
Anyone know if the W series for Wilson is good? Like this: Wilson W6 Wild Crimson (http ://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-W6WC.html) or this: Wilson W4 Red Fury (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/descpageRCWILSON-W4RF.html)

I ask because looks are a factor for my girl friend. Not to say she is buying her racket based on that, but if she can get something for the right price that plays well and looks good she'd rather do that.

I say she has no power... But, the racket she is playing with is dead flat, even I have trouble generating power out of it. So we have to be careful, cause I think if it is to trampolinish she might me hitting them long... Well I guess we are going to have to go try a couple soon.

Go with the KZEN!

Ask it for demo!!

Gantz
08-18-2007, 01:38 PM
i'd say the dunlops would be perfect.

Leon22
08-18-2007, 03:20 PM
W6 wouldn't be so good, much harder to play with. Swingweight is 330 instead of 306, the head is smaller, and it's a lot more flexible so will have less power. Anyway, good luck!

Yeah I'm weighing the options out, we'll just try a few rackets. I'll try some of the intermediate rackets suggested here including the W4... We'll also try the W6 just for kicks cause if she can play with it then I would imagine that as she gets better the more she will be able to utilize the racket (sorta what has been happening with me and my Babolat APDC).

If not will get something else like the W4. I mean if she takes a tougher racket like the W6 and can't play well at all then obviously it's gone off the list, but if she can play decently with it then will look into it a little more carefully.

jonline
08-18-2007, 03:31 PM
Liquidmetal 4 is a nice beginner/'tweener racquet.